Cycle computer help

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Hi again guys,

my cateye velo 5 recently started playing up.

the other day, 6 journeys ago it was fine, i placed it in its mount and the readings were all fine. 5 journeys ago, the return leg of that one, the readings wouldnt register at all.

when i got back i reseated the sensor so it was only 1-2 mm from the magnet even though it had worked fine for 8 months being 4-5mm away. no good. i put some vaseline on the mount's contact points, i read that somewhere, no good. i checked the wire and it was all in good nick and lastly i changed the battery even though the time on the computer was not faded or showing any signs it needed changing. although i lost all my odometer readings, that sorted it. i dont think it was replacing the battery but was more likely the reset that did it.

great i thought. 4 journeys ago, all fine. return leg, 3 journeys ago, at first there was no reading but further into that journey it started working. maybe some sort of jolt started it.

2 and 1 journey ago, today in fact, fine both ways.

any ideas what i can do to avoid this reoccurring?

if it is likely to carry on doing this, i feel the mounting mechanism is the weak link. are there any better computers both in functionality AND a better/more secure way of mounting it to the bike.?

wireless would be great if they are as reliable as wired and cost would be under £40 ideally. hopefully though i wont need to replace it after all.

D

Deleted member 4366

On many cycle computers the vertical position is as important as the horizontal gap. A couple of mm can make all the difference.
Don't get a wireless one, they often don't work with a motor nearby.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
ye, before the issue and after i re seated it the sensor is in the same position, just sticking out further due to using a spacer.

i didnt think about the motor and wireless. thats a shame. any recommendations for a new one with better mounting for the computer itself, maybe a more solid lock than just slipping it downwards with a little click as in the velo 5?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Velo handlebar mounting unit that units like the models 5 and 8 use can cause trouble with intermittent contact loss on bumpy roads etc. It's slightly flexible and when clamped hard on the handlebars can suffer a degree of platform distortion, compromising the contact reliability. That's especially true if there's some curvature of the handlebar at the mounting point. A slight repositioning on the handlebar may give you more reliable head to platform connection of the two contacts.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
thanks mate, i will try that.

if i do replace it, any opinions on better models? what do you think of the sigma 1612?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't tried the Sigma so can't say. Mine are also Velo units hence my familiarity with the contact problems that can occur.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
On many cycle computers the vertical position is as important as the horizontal gap. A couple of mm can make all the difference.
Don't get a wireless one, they often don't work with a motor nearby.
Just to let you know I have a 8fun motor in the front wheel. I've been using a velo8 wireless without issues for 3 years. It is accurate, not quite as good as gps though, and never seen it lose connection unless I've bashe the magnet out of position putting bike in shed

So that particular motor/wireless combo doesn't seem to hold any issues. And the the wireless sender/sensor could be any closer to the motor

Very happy with the velo8 as I cycle 5 days a week commute year round. Previous cheap comps have died with water ingress in a few months

Only missing thing for me is a backlight - I would like that in the winter months

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
thanks for the info.

i think if i do replace it, i will go wired again mainly just incase it has the interference problem but also less battery replacement.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We sell Sigma cycle computers. We have some in stock but happy to order one in if we do not have what you require.

Thanks,
David

lee.pie

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
aldi have wireless ones in £5.99.
I've just got one of these.
Works great on my Brompton with Nano kit. Hasn't dropped signal yet!
Also bought the work stand, very impressed for £30, it's better than my £100+ last one.

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
wireless would be great if they are as reliable as wired and cost would be under £40 ideally. hopefully though i wont need to replace it after all.
Wireless are much more reliable. The wires inevitably snag and probably corrode. We probably went through 2 or 3 each before wireless varieties came out and we converted. Wireless require an extra battery, but I imagine they each last twice as long - which is particularly handy, since you'll not lose all the memory so often.

I'm using a wireless on my electric - not noticed any interference (motor at rear, however!). The only irritating thing is that, being a folder with small wheels, I have to have the sensor down on the cross bar. The distance twixt transmitter and sensor seemed to be too much to have it on the handlebars.

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
aldi have wireless ones in £5.99.I've just got one of these.
Great tip. But I don't go there - the beer's not as cheap there as it is in Lidl!

Also bought the work stand, very impressed for £30, it's better than my £100+ last one.
Really? In the past these cheap German ones have been hopeless. You cannot go wrong with the Park Tool PCS-9, now down to around £70 from the £120 I paid.

Saw something interesting from a cycle mechanic ... instead of clamping a tube on the cycle as you're meant to do (beware damage to the stickers, maybe use seat stem!) for a quick repair to the rear wheel they simply hang the seat over the stand! Achieve same position, rear wheel high, as if you'd clamped it properly!

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
thanks mate, i will try that. if i do replace it, any opinions on better models? what do you think of the sigma 1612?
We rapidly converted from wired to wireless mileometers some 8 or 10 years ago and we may still have all the same ones we started buying then. I can't be sure because we used to worry they'd be stolen, lose them, buy another and find the first one!

Some of them have or had back then multi-bike features (two different tire sizes) which are useless, but two of the better ones have a double-trip mechanism (ie over and above the total mileage reading).

Double-trip is especially useful on an electric, you will want to monitor your mileage on one battery, but you may want to monitor trip length separately. Or may wish to monitor using two batteries. The early double-trip models required two buttons and zeroing the readings was a bit awkward, but the later ones do it on a single button.

There are other small variations, most will show maximum speeds, some show average speeds.

SarahJane

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2013
The Kentish Alps
Lidl do a very similar wireless computer to the Aldi one!
My Aldi one works fine on my Model T, without apparent influence from the electrics. We did make sure to mount it on the opposite side of the fork from the motor connector; the only glitches come from accidentally shifting the magnet on the spokes when getting the bike out of the shed, and occasional poor connections between the display unit and the mount after worse than average Kentish potholes.

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Lidl do a very similar wireless computer to the Aldi one!
My Aldi one works fine on my Model T, without apparent influence from the electrics.
I'm not sure why the Pedelec electrics should interfere. Digital systems are mostly resistant to interference - does your mobile crackle? Well, no!

lee.pie

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2011
I've just got one of these.
Sorry i mean Lidl not Aldi.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure why the Pedelec electrics should interfere. Digital systems are mostly resistant to interference - does your mobile crackle? Well, no!
They do though, a few members with front motors have had to give up on them and go wired.

Another problem that can occur is near powerful transmitter masts which can briefly make readings go mad.