Cycle gates

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
I don't know if there is a standard width for these cycle gates?

I find most of them around this area are just too narrow to get my bike handle bars past without dismounting and jiggling the bars side to side at an angle. In fact the type shown in my picture is so narrow that I can't even walk through without my shoulders catching on the tubes either side. It's a real pain having to dismount the bike every time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Designed for drop handlebars by the look of it. How about a complaint to the relevant council, this is no way to encourage the utility cycling and commuting by bike that national government and local authorities want.

Intended to be anti-motorcycle though I suppose.

Last edited:

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
stopped traveling to work along a cycle path because of these a right pain:(

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That would stop prams as well by the look of it. Sustrans have stopped using those gates* as cyclists just can't get through, unfortunately motorbikes cause a lot of damage (I've seen it) to cycle paths so there's never going to be a perfect gate.

* Since I heard that I've seen a new one on an NCN path.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
No bloody good for trikes either :mad:
Fortunately, I've yet to meet one of these devils :D

Vikki.

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Loads of these things on the trails around Sheffield. You have to jump off the saddle, turn the handlebars sideways and wiggle through.

I think they're meant to impede kids on off road motorised trail bikes. Perhaps their handlebars don't turn far enough?

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
garrence you are right, the picture is on a trail in Sheffield. I think these gates are also to stop horse riders, especially on this 'leafy side' of the City.

Prams an trikes are probably OK as they are a bit lower in the gate where the gap is wider.

The hills here in Sheffield are enough to put most cyclists off, with out the added burden of gates to impede one's journey. I certainly would not be riding a bike without assistance up some of the gradients locally.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
At least CeeGee`s mirror would go through without fowling:D

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
They're at the start of the bridleways too! As well as one of those things they have a wide opening with two 8" high bars on the ground so the horse has to step over one then another.

Someone in the council must think that kids can't manage to lift their little motorbike things!

Nice to "meet" another local person. I'm in Crookes and have an Oxygen E-mate. I've seen one other electric bike around here but that's all.

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
Yes I have seen the combined cycle and horse stile equestrian access gates on the bridleways.

Yes I have only seen a couple of electric bikes in Sheffield, but I know there are few Sheffielders on this forum.
OK, you are up the hill in Crookes, I lived there 20 yrs ago. I am now in the valley of the River Porter near Endcliffe /Bingham Park and Whiteley Woods. Some nice cycle routes around but a lot of hill climbing, and I have problems with my legs so it’s been great having the electric power assist on the bike.
I have seen a few pictures of the Oxygen E-mate and it looks like a nice machine.
My bikes are DIY conversions:

Dahon Espresso with Bafang hub motor in the front fork.

Chain drive based on the Cyclone/Headline motor which I am just rebuilding in a full suspension bike frame. This is a picture of the previous version on the Claud Butler hardtail.

I will post some picture when I have finished the latest incarnation.

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Yes I have seen the combined cycle and horse stile equestrian access gates on the bridleways.
I don't know why they don't just take a spade and heap earth over the horsey side to make a nice motorbike ramp. Kids these days are so lazy! :D

I think you're gonna be easy to spot on those bikes!!

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Even worse than these cycle gates are the ones Bournemouth/Poole council seem to use a lot - These are the circular type. where you open the gate and push your bike around an enclosed circle, jiggle out of the way, swing the gate across and get out (haven't taken a piccy yet!). There's hardly room to swing a cat let alone turn a bike. These gates are a REAL pain since e-bikes (Kalkoff) have a longer wheelbase than a normal bike. I don't like 'em on my non-electric and both Mrs 'O' and I absolutely HATE these gates when we're out pedelec-ingand are relieved to find the type in this thread, despite both having rear view mirrors fitted.

Mike