Cycle helmet (again)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I`ll get myself a long blonde wig that will fit over my "crash" helmet.;)
Would increased drag resulting from a very hairy helmet slow you down, reduce ebike range? Would a substantially bigger looking blonde head make drivers assume they're closer than the rest of your bike appears, making them allow you more room, or would it give cyclist hating drivers a bigger target to aim for? I look forward to reading about your findings.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: esuark

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Would increased drag resulting from a very hairy helmet slow you down, reduce ebike range? Would a substantially bigger looking blonde head make drivers assume they're close than the rest of your bike appears, making them allow you more room, or would it give cyclist hating drivers a bigger target to aim for? I look forward to reading about your findings.
:D

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I scratch my chin today having gone over the handlebars.
Another bike came across the road and turned towards on cycle path, so I hit the front brake too hard and over I went.
I'm going to get a full faced helmet I've decided.
No Idea what to buy or where from?
On I side note.
I run rim breaks. I thought they weren't that great. I was wrong..

Bashed elbow and toe hurts. I'll be fine though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

same one i have and on offer atm tho if a m size get a large or it wont fit.

Reactions: Wayners

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Another bike came across the road and turned towards on cycle path, so I hit the front brake too hard and over I went.
On I side note.

Glad you didnt break your teeth or get even more hurt.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On I side note.

Sorry to hear about that. I hate other cyclists! Are bike frames mega magnetic or something? I went with a cheapo jawguaded helmet for £30 on Amazon three years ago, and it's protected my head from two headlong impacts with tarmac and more besides. I really should replace it. Keeps my ears warm in winter, has good ventilation for summer. This is an old pic of scrapes which would have ended up on my person. I've replaced the stickers with bigger more reflective ones since.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I don't want one with holes in that will let it water. I also want it to look evil. Ha.
I was thinking of a motorbike helmet?
Probably a cheapo one to see how it works out.
Visor would be good.
Another factor is the road traffic noise. It's so loud these days. I think something covering ears might make the ride in a bit nicer..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've got a couple of hiviz helmet covers for when it's raining or especially cold, but they make my helmet look very silly hence even more hiviz, rather than evil. One of the covers looks extremely bright silver in car headlights, but a dull grey in daylight. The others are hiviz yellow with reflective bits.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I was thinking of a motorbike helmet?
Probably a cheapo one to see how it works out.
Visor would be good.
Another factor is the road traffic noise. It's so loud these days. I think something covering ears might make the ride in a bit nicer..
They are REALLY heavy by comparison to a cycling helmet - AND expensive.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
They are REALLY heavy by comparison to a cycling helmet - AND expensive.
there no good for mtb as to heavy and restricted view and looking back left n right.

my helmet is heavy and does take time to get used to it and for 300 quid doubt you will find a better lid for the money why i got mine.

some twat did try punch me in the face with it on, must have broken every bone in his hand lol :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
there no good for mtb as to heavy and restricted view and looking back left n right.

my helmet is heavy and does take time to get used to it and for 300 quid doubt you will find a better lid for the money why i got mine.

some twat did try punch me in the face with it on, must have broken every bone in his hand lol :p
My jawguarded helmet's light, but heavier than the usual top hat type - your fancy helmet must be filled with the £270 in £1 coins I saved and I want them back! I knew the cosmic wormhole which lurks within the sofa swallowing money led somewhere..

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0221_03_01.JPG

some twat on a road bike hit me crossing the road with my old helmet i was not even fkn moving ! and i felt that and the thing at the back that tightens it was useless and twisted on my head on impact with his :p

he bent his front wheel in half tho on impact mavic dmax pro wins :p

DSC_0203_02.JPG
i got retard rammers now :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
View attachment 57000

some twat on a road bike hit me crossing the road with my old helmet i was not even fkn moving ! and i felt that and the thing at the back that tightens it was useless and twisted on my head on impact with his :p

he bent his front wheel in half tho on impact mavic dmax pro wins :p

View attachment 57001
i got retard rammers now :D
You got hit by another cyclist too? Be prepared! Rapid Fatso is out there... :eek: His bike being dragged across the road by my bike's magnetism doesn't make sense. Rapid Fasto is fat enough to have his own gravity well.

Like the rest of me, my bike helmet would have been crushed flat with Rapid Fasto rolling over my bike. This cheapo helmet of mine is a perfect fit, I never use the straps because I don't want to end up strangled by my helmet in a collision - it was supplied with foam inserts of different thicknesses, which velcro to the inside, for a snug fit. Having gone over my handlebars head first and landed on my noggin twice, I can tell you my jawguarded helmet doesn't twist on impact.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
It's funny how the baseball cap/hair/shower cap/bald skin etc. wearing crowd never write about their happiness at having avoided serious head, facial and dental injuries because they weren't wearing a helmet... possibly because they're regretful, too paralysed to type, in a coma, or dead.
.....or not stupid enough to fall off their bike.

Reactions: flecc

Chainmale

Pedelecer
May 13, 2020
Helmeted cyclists are not the norm in the Netherlands yet I seem to recall reading a few years ago a study which found that the majority of cyclists treated in A &E there for head injuries were helmet wearers. The conclusion was that as the helmet wearers were mainly "sports" type cyclists it was the method of use rather than the choice of transport that was the main risk factor.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Helmeted cyclists are not the norm in the Netherlands yet I seem to recall reading a few years ago a study which found that the majority of cyclists treated in A &E there for head injuries were helmet wearers. The conclusion was that as the helmet wearers were mainly "sports" type cyclists it was the method of use rather than the choice of transport that was the main risk factor.
Another notable thing about the Netherlands cycling accident statistics is that 40% of the circa 200 cyclist deaths each year are with no others involved, causing their own deaths.

No doubt once again the speed freaks.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I fell over riding a motorcycle in the 80s, going slow over a gravel car park while trying to turn. When I went over the handlebars two years ago and landed on my jawguarded helmeted head, I was travelling under the legal pedelec speed limit on a flat unlit road when I collided with a tree root growing out of the side of the pavement into the road. Hence my mega bright lights. It's best to plan for the unforseen.

Last edited: