Cycle helmet wearers are reckless

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
This person had neither a bicycle or a cycle helmet, just a hard hat!

How reckless is that?:D

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
My reckless friend went out at lunch time the other day and didn't come back. Basically a pedestrian walked right out in front of him and they were both knocked out and taken to hospital (in separate ambulances). The joke is that he always wears a helmet to and from work but went out at lunch without it. Oddly he is not a reckless person but maybe he forgot he wasn't wearing a helmet.

So of all the cyclists I know at work - about 5. Two non-helmet wearers have be involved in a head injury type accident. One spent a month in hospital having been left at the side of road - the only clue being a knocked off pedal (mind you he is registered blind and wears hearphones - no joke).

I still have no "helmet wearing saved my life" stories from work so I say if you want to wear a helmet, do and if you don't, don't.

Last edited:

Steveb63

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2008
Baildon (BD17)
Not had my two pennies worth for a while - but the helmet issue has always caught my attention - I guess i don't wear one for comfort and vanity reasons - and to be honest - I'd' have had bought a 125 cc bike for commuting rather then my easyglider if helmets were compulsory on ebikes. Being a glasses wearer - I hated squeezing them in after putting on a full face hemet when I had motorcycles.

But more importantly - I've always subscribed to the theory that instead of seat belts - cars should have a sharp 6 inch spike sticking out from the centre of the steering wheel.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I would agree and do the same, except I want my kids to wear helmets, when cycling, and feel obliged to set a good example.
Same here, in winter it's convenient to wear it but in summer not so pleasent. Last summer I found myself putting it on just before I got home. :eek: