Cycle Mirror

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks for that, I'm sorry to read about your wife. I had an accident skiing and also lost confidenc. Hope she's ok now.
Lancslass
thanks for your kind comments. She is making steady progress, but it will be a long recovery

gray

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've used the small round bar end mirrors on my motorcycle and found the view extremely limited.
Probably better off with the convex shaped mirrors, that give a wider field of view.
I always use the small motorcycle bar end mirrors too.

They're small enough to be in proportion for cycles, (they'd look a bit naff on a motorbike), convex to give a good view, and much more robust than most bike mirrors, because they're made out of very lightweight alloy rather than plastic. They can be "plugged" into the end of the handlebars, or clamped over them, with the same universal design.

On Ebay they're really cheap, (even from UK sellers), about £10 a pair.

I fit one to the offside on all of my bikes and trikes. (utilising the pair on two bikes)
bar end mirrors ebay.jpg bar end mirrors.jpg

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Those look really neat ehomer but they would only be any good for hubby's flat handlebarred Vita Uno. I'll need more adjustment joints for my Juicy Classic and I'm hoping the recommended Mirrycle will do us both.
Juicy have got back and their mirror is not convex so I'm going to leave that (sorry Bob)!

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset

They're small enough to be in proportion for cycles, (they'd look a bit naff on a motorbike), convex to give a good view, and much more robust than most bike mirrors, because they're made out of very lightweight alloy rather than plastic. They can be "plugged" into the end of the handlebars, or clamped over them, with the same universal design.

I fit one to the offside on all of my bikes and trikes. (utilising the pair on two bikes)
View attachment 12888 View attachment 12887
They suit certain motorcycles well, but it has to be the right sort of motorcycle..... retros, cafe racers, streetfighters, rat bikes, muscle bikes and street scramblers all look good with small bar end mirrors. But they're more form over function on these motorcycles.

C

Cyclezee

View attachment 12888 View attachment 12887
They look OK eHomer, but won't fold like the Mirrycle ones.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Having had our first short ride on our new acquisitions we find the need for some cycle mirrors. It's mainly for pulling out for parked cars, but also to keep a check on whichever cyclist is behind the other.

I have seen these on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-BICYCLE-BAR-END-HANDLEBAR-MIRROR-CYCLE-BIKE-REAR-VIEW-CYCLING-MTB-ROAD-/400898227426?hash=item5d57657ce2:g:VnwAAOSw34FVIWQq
What do you more experienced cyclists think?
I'd appreciate your advice as ever.
I have one of these - it does the job fine.

Given that a mirror inevitably gets clouted from time to time, I think the Mirrcycle is a bit over done.

I also have a couple of Zefal Doobacks, just because it's what the shop had at the time.

They also do the job, although as commented up thread, the cheapo reflective - as fitted to all bike mirrors - is especially cheapo on the Dooback.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
My heavy Kalkhoff has fallen over on that side before now and hit the Mirrcycle mirror and it wasn’t damaged. They are very robust.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Someone rode my Delite but could not stop. He ended up in the bush and the Mirrycle was deep in the ground and had become detached form the bike. Took a while digging to find it but when cleaned up went back together again and is as good as new.

Try that with the inferior ones.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The plastic reflector on my cheapo mirror pinged out a few times when I clipped it.

A lump of Blu-tack fettled it.

Quality engineering around here, I tell you.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
I wonder if anyone has actually got a Dutch style bike with the Mirrycle mirror, and whether it works for them? Anyone?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I don't have a Dutch style bike, but I can say that there is enough adjustability on the Mirrycle to cope with any bar angle. As long as you have an open bar end, it'll fit.

C

Cyclezee

I wonder if anyone has actually got a Dutch style bike with the Mirrycle mirror, and whether it works for them? Anyone?
It really depends on how swept back the bars are.

The Mirrycle doesn't really work well with wide cruiser style bars as shown below on the eZee Cadence eZee cadence-front 2011.jpg

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
That's all very encouraging thanks.
My bike is different to the Ezee Cadance John. Below are photos from the Juicy Bike site (I'm sure Bob won't mind me using them). The handlebars are adjustable in fact:

I have just been on my bike to the village for milk (goodness knows why I had to tell you that!). The bars seem awfully low relative to my eye line so I imagine the mirror will have to be high and angled back to get a decent view.
Anyway we have one winging it's way to us through cyber space as we speak, to fit on hubby's Vita Uno, so I will be able to try it out on mine and will report back.