Cycle Mirror

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Most of the recommended mirrors in this thread are specifically designed for NON-electric bikes, where the weight of every item matters.

It doesn't matter on an e-bike!

I use this mirror.

http://classicpartsltd.com/820-halcyon-bar-end-mirror.html

Huge image, v.little vibration, a real safety feature. Too heavy (a few ounces) for the lycra brigade. Just check your handlebars will take the 7/8th fitting - most will.

Al.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Most of the recommended mirrors in this thread are specifically designed for NON-electric bikes, where the weight of every item matters.

It doesn't matter on an e-bike!

I use this mirror.

http://classicpartsltd.com/820-halcyon-bar-end-mirror.html

Huge image, v.little vibration, a real safety feature. Too heavy (a few ounces) for the lycra brigade. Just check your handlebars will take the 7/8th fitting - most will.

Al.
It may well be good but I have a mirrycle on each of three bikes and the total price, (then), was the same as for one of these. That equates to unnecessarily expensive in my book.

Tom

Reactions: Cyclezee

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
It may well be good but I have a mirrycle on each of three bikes and the total price, (then), was the same as for one of these. That equates to unnecessarily expensive in my book.

Tom
Fair comment Tom. I find the VERY much bigger, 'flatter' image worth paying for. And they will survive very hard knocks.

A

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
That's 3 times the price of the Mirrycle though! I have found there is no vibration at all on the Mirrycle so I am happy with that and with the cost!

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
That's 3 times the price of the Mirrycle though! I have found there is no vibration at all on the Mirrycle so I am happy with that and with the cost!
Again, fair comment. Price has always been secondary to me,
(I bought a Wisper, for example!), second that is to quality and in this case safety.

But the principle stands. You haven't got to buy (cheap or dear) a cycle mirror because it's LIGHT in weight - there are loads of heaviier, bigger, motorbike mirrors on the market for £20-ish, the weight of which will not affect your ebike one iota - don't dismiss them, as you might find they do the job better - to repeat, you get a bigger, flatter image of what is behind you, which you can see with the merest glance towards your mirror.

I'm trying to broaden your choices, not lay down the law!

Al.

Reactions: oldtom

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Do motorcycle mirrors COMPLETELY fold back on themselves like bicycle mirrors are designed to? Without this ability I wouldn't be able to get my bike through my front door and down my narrow hallway.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Reminds me of the Desmo mirrors we had on our old cars.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Again, fair comment. Price has always been secondary to me,
(I bought a Wisper, for example!), second that is to quality and in this case safety.

But the principle stands. You haven't got to buy (cheap or dear) a cycle mirror because it's LIGHT in weight - there are loads of heaviier, bigger, motorbike mirrors on the market for £20-ish, the weight of which will not affect your ebike one iota - don't dismiss them, as you might find they do the job better - to repeat, you get a bigger, flatter image of what is behind you, which you can see with the merest glance towards your mirror.

I'm trying to broaden your choices, not lay down the law!

Al.
I must confess thàt I didn't considered the weight factor when buying the Mirrycle, one way or the other. Not really the cost either, just the recommendations from fellow forum members. I'm so glad I did buy it though because it's everything that has been previously mentioned. It has no vibration at all and being convexed it gives a good wide view. It makes me more confident on my bike and hubby feels the same.
It's be interesting to compare the Mirrycle to the Halcyon in terms of view, I wonder if anyone here has experience of both mirrors? I suppose that is the only way we'd know if it's worth the extra cost.:)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Its pretty obvious that a larger motorcycle mirror will give better vision than a smaller bicycle mirror...... But would anyone want a motorcycle mirror on an Ebike, especially a heavy stainless steel mirror thats designed for classic & vintage motorcycles. I wouldn't and i would hazard a guess that most wouldn't either.

Reactions: RobF

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Do motorcycle mirrors COMPLETELY fold back on themselves like bicycle mirrors are designed to? Without this ability I wouldn't be able to get my bike through my front door and down my narrow hallway.
I have just checked and on the tightness that I have my mirror, which has been fine from the point of view of being able to adjust it but at the same time causes no vibrations, the mirror folds back on itself to the extent that only one and a half centimetres sticks out beyond the bar ends. That extra is just where the mirror fixes into the handlebars and it protrudes by 15mm.
Hope that makes sense! If not, get back to me and I'll give it another shot at explaining again (sorry, I'm not very technical):oops:

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Its pretty obvious that a larger motorcycle mirror will give better vision than a smaller bicycle mirror...... But would anyone want a motorcycle mirror on an Ebike, especially a heavy stainless steel mirror thats designed for classic & vintage motorcycles. I wouldn't and i would hazard a guess that most wouldn't either.
Yes, I much prefer the look of the Mirrycle and, c'mon, everything's got to look pretty on my Juicy Lucy! :rolleyes:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I have just checked and on the tightness that I have my mirror, which has been fine from the point of view of being able to adjust it but at the same time causes no vibrations, the mirror folds back on itself to the extent that only one and a half centimetres sticks out beyond the bar ends. That extra is just where the mirror fixes into the handlebars and it protrudes by 15mm.
Hope that makes sense! If not, get back to me and I'll give it another shot at explaining again (sorry, I'm not very technical):oops:
Thanks. That makes perfect sense and actually surprises me. Even the Mirrycle mount sticks out by around 15mm. Maybe I'll consider motorcycle mirrors if I ever build a high power street bike.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Needing a mirror for my mtb, and following the advice on this thread, I bought the mirrycle. Couldn't be more pleased, very neat and tidy and very effective, so thanks to everyone who recommended it.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I have mirrycle on my bike and have found it to be perfectly adequate for my needs. The ability to fold it in is very useful on local trails where barriers have been put to stop motorcycle s using them. I will not be changing anytime soon. But anyway I think we should be grateful when people offer different solutions based on their own experience.

Regards gray

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
72, 73 now! posts on cycle mirrors. How many views, (no pun intended) do we need on what can be seen in a bike mirror?

Tom
74 now!:D
Perhaps I shouldn't have started this thread ... 'On reflection'. :p

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Will people please stop buying Mirrycle mirrors, my usual supplier has run out of stock and I have had to order from Germany:(
The eBay seller (Laxzo) has run out of stock on ebay but he is still on Amazon, as is another supplier selling at the same price on the marketplace (Sunningvale or something like that). A cycling friend saw the mirrors yesterday and wants one and we spent some time sourcing them.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Yes, they (the bigger motor-bike-type) mirrors do "fold" right back - I have a narrow hallway, too.

And as for the aesthetics, sure, Mirrcycle and the like look more elegant, but I don't think they'll ever make our girt lumpy ebikes look anything like their refined non-electric cousins. Horses (in this case cart-horses) for courses.

I suppose I'd rather be safe than pretty (fat chance [ed.]).

A

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
ive got the vita uno but the handlebars are quite a small diameter tube ,so slide of handle bar grip and measure the inner diameter.

I ordered of ebay or amazon the ends of mirrors were far to big a diameter to fit. cant recall make

in the end got a railegh one but had to file out the handle bar for it to fit.

might pay you to local bike shop and see what fits