Cycle Workshop Stand

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
Unlike ordinary bikes, ebikes are not so easy to flip over for maintenance purposes - my Agattu is a sizeable beast!
I thought I might make a workshop stand. Has anyone any ideas/or know of available stands? A photo would be ideal if anyone has a stand.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I use a hoist. I just happen to have a hoist system that I built for a different vehicle and it works fine with a bike. Possibly not everyone's workshop is also used for a hovercraft so this may not be universally applicable.

Another idea is a wall bracket. I used to have a wall bracket for hanging the non electric bike on before it got stolen (the bike, not the bracket). That might make a useful stand if you only need to get to one side. If you need to get all round a bracket on a post might do.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unlike ordinary bikes, ebikes are not so easy to flip over for maintenance purposes - my Agattu is a sizeable beast!
I thought I might make a workshop stand. Has anyone any ideas/or know of available stands? A photo would be ideal if anyone has a stand.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Most bike workstands aren't really strong enough to cope with e-bike weight.

However, the two links below show some types as examples:

Fisher

Wiggle

S

stokepa31

Most bike workstands aren't really strong enough to cope with e-bike weight.
Agreed Flecc. When I phoned round to see who would fix my Torq many of the shops suggested the bike would break their stands.

A Diy welded job is probably in order. Time for a spot of scapheap challenge me thinks:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The simplest way without needing to weld is to use Kee Klamps, the sort of couplings on tubing seen on many handrails, A three way at the base to give two floor legs, a T clamp for the bike holder and right angle and parallel couplers for the bike holding. These are made for various sizes of tubing, including standard scaffold tube (2" od). Tube is available in aluminium or steel in various finishes:

Kee Klamps

Click "Online scaffold fittings" at the left to see fittings for every kind of join you could think of. Third one along on the second row when inverted would make a good base for the stand.

Last edited:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Agreed Flecc. When I phoned round to see who would fix my Torq many of the shops suggested the bike would break their stands.
I suspect that attitude is based on either ignorance or prejudice. A torq with the battery removed is under 20Kg , many unpowered bikes are this weight and virtually all tandems and work bikes are considerably heavier. DIY stands tend be a bit flimsy but a professional workshop stand such as this would easily cope with 20kg and more. While such a stand is essential equipment for a pro it's probably too expensive for an occasional user.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suspect that attitude is based on either ignorance or prejudice.
I think it's possibly based on the e-bike they are most likely to have seen Ian, the SLA Powabyke. Apart from being very heavy, there's few ways to clamp to one with it's "fuel tank" like design.