CycleCharge: Anyone need e-bike motor, kit or battery?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I hope the business model will work for you. I remain skeptical about the scope for obtaining CO2 reduction grants and subsidies. BTW, deferrement facility (if you need it) costs you typically 1% of the amount.
Well I've been absent from the forum for a while and so has Lynda, due to our illnesses. Things have gone quiet for a while on the CycleCharge front last year, but I haven't been idle and neither has Lynda! I had some very positive meetings last year and discussions, both with interested private sector parties (a large bicycle manufacturer being one), several banks, and my County Council.

We're certainly eligible for a number of UK and EU grants and there's many private sector avenues of funding open to us as well. We've had some generous support from Barclays already to begin with and we're now members of the Federation of Small Businesses. They also will be working closely with us this year and will provide a means of networking and working more closely with other businesses right across the UK.

I've been advised that CycleCharge will gain full or partial tax exemption as well as partial charity status.

It's still early days and there's much to be done. Too much for two people and a few friends, hence my request for more volunteers. But first priority is my getting our new website finished and the new QR system up and running (tiny individual QR stickers need to be placed onto the key-ring cards, which can then be scanned and data sent to, or retrieved from our website)

Batteries and chargers are next on the agenda. They have been in a thorough testing phase (now in 2nd year) and so far, all good. We've got the nucleus of a small special team of volunteers forming now for the battery and technology side (CycleCharge's "men in white coats" ;).) They will be providing more in-depth testing and analysis of the batteries performance, quality, safety and servicing feasibility etc. All being well, we brand them with our own stickers, and then start selling them which could begin next month.Supplying these batteries non-profit is intended to be for a limited transition period until we're able to fully develop and manufacturer our own batteries with a completely new approach which enable us to offer batteries even cheaper than importing from China and they will have a MUCH longer serviceable life. That requires lots of funding though and is further down the line.

We'll certainly receive some immediate revenue from the sale of batteries and chargers, and advertising/sponsorship opportunities on the website which will help, but making profit is like I said, not our primary concern with these sales. As for the public-sector grants and private-sector funding, I'm quietly confident this won't be a problem and we'll have a sound business plan. Members will understand fully why 2015 is going to be the year for us when things really start falling into place when the new website is open for business.

I've also put a lot of my own money into CycleCharge and will continue to do so from my other business activities, to tide us over until we're able to eventually get properly funded.

From little acorns grow mighty oak trees.

So I hope it will be with CycleCharge. Everyone who helped us at the beginning with their generous donations and volunteers with their time, will be able to enjoy the benefits if they want to become more involved, as things develop and we have more funds available.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I'd just like to wish this venture every success.

It must have taken a heck of a lot of time and effort from yourself, Lynda and friends.

Many Thanks! and I'm sure this will be a big help in the promotion of E Biking

Reactions: morphix

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Damn I missed this! Could have done with a couple of 36v 10aH batteries and chargers, has the order gone out?
It's not too late! I've extended it until tomorrow, as I realised some might not see this and China's timezone difference and the time it takes to gather and wire funds, means we'll have a day or two to play with anyway.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I'd just like to wish this venture every success.

It must have taken a heck of a lot of time and effort from yourself, Lynda and friends.

Many Thanks! and I'm sure this will be a big help in the promotion of E Biking
Thanks very much Kenny, that's kind of you to say and appreciated!

If we can help save people some money in these hard times everyone is experiencing, glad to help out. Also by buying through a reliable source backed by people in the UK, it takes the risk and uncertainty out of dealing with China directly.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Are you able to get some xiondga 2 speed motors? I'm thinking to have a go on these

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@morphix - your posts sound extremely enthusiastic, my initial reaction is to urge caution, especially when investing large amount of your own money. Fundings and grants have their own uncertainty.
good luck and my best wishes to you and Lynda. Happy New Year.

Reactions: RobF

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Morphix, could you confirm model of the motor and dropout width for small 16" wheel?

And also do you have an associated sine wave controller?

Thanks lots

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I'm posting a few pics for those interested of the kits, motors, and LCD's..these are from the actual factory..

The standard kit comes with: Motor spoked into a double-walled rim. Controller unit. LCD console. Two brake levers with motor cut-out sensors. PAS sensor. Thumb throttle. Wire loom with connectors.

Optional extras: In-line motor cut-out brake sensor, half or full twist grip throttle (with or without switches and buttons), different types of sturdy thumb throttle (some with LED's and buttons/switches), handle-bar mounting push-to-make buttons or on/off switches, Retro car speedometer style/Analogue battery and PAS-level indicator (instead of an LCD), external speed sensors.

Power Options: Rack mount batteries or vertical amount mount (both lockable with all fixtures), frog-style behind the saddle mount batteries, or bottle batteries for mounting on down-tube, both lockable. Chargers cost extra on the average power solutions and come as 2Amp or 3Amp (fast 3-4hr charge) Or the CycleCharge branded 'budget' battery, without using, intended to go in rack bag/panniers (24v10Ah/1.45kg or 36v10Ah/1.95kg) with free charger (7hr or 3hr).

24v250W rear drive motor (2kg) fitted to a Mezzo. The 36v version looks exactly the same and weighs 2kg, both have integrated speed sensors, but can be supplied with external speed sensors if required. Both motor and rims can be powder coated black if desired (no extra cost) and the result is very professional.

We can also supply an ultra-lightweight 1.2kg motor version (200W - front wheel drive only at present) in 24v or 36v, with or without integrated speed sensor. Again, these can be standard stainless steel, or powder coated black. We can fit these to any rim size required and use high quality double-wall rims.

Another shot of the motor from the cassette side.It's possible to fit up to an 8-speed cassette with this motor. The factory can supply and fit cassettes on request, but most customers prefer to retain/use their own cassettes which are usually better quality or may have a better gearing range.

All kits come with a water-proof LCD console as standard (available in matt black or glossy white) which looks like this:

Above, you can also see the discrete in-line brake sensor (which has a red LED to show it's working/engaged). It's normally come with brake levers with sensors built in, which are more reliable for DIY'ers, but anyone who prefers the in-line brake sensor can use it instead, you just have to make sure it's fitted properly and tested etc.

The LCD's all have back-lights for night vision. You can turn the back-light on/off yourself in low-light conditions, it doesn't use a sensor.

Other more fancy LCD consoles are available with more features and optional separately mountable control buttons. Nearly all the LCD's are semi-programmable by the user from the LCD itself (speed range, throttle sensitivity, PAS-levels etc - even allowing you to by-pass the 15.5mph legal limit on 250W and go to 40-40mph if you wish, but of course, that has no real-world effect!) ;) Some of the fancier LCD's like this one, have cruise control/push assistance features, and these can be married up with throttle buttons or switches by the factory.

This one is available as in a vertical or horizontal configuration, and has the screw-thread connector as you can see. Some of these LCD's are designed (or can be) to be removed off the e-bike.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Are they Aikema motors or clones? Whatever, they're the same as the Q100s that have shown themselves to be pretty reliable and pack a fair punch for their size. Does your factory to a high torque version like the Q100H?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
If you have waterproof throttle I'd get few of them