Cyclemasters E-Bike kits

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Sounds down right scary to me.

I certainly would not trust the tyrese or brakes or frame at those sort of loads and speeds.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Cyclemaster name is meaningless, it's the Cyclone kit, made in Taiwan.

Not particularly high quality and all of them over 250 watts are illegal here in the UK. The don't make a 1500 watts version as you'll see on the link below, so some exaggeration going on in that site:

Cyclone Taiwan e-kits

You can see some alternative mountings on this UK webpage

Last edited:

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Hi thank's for your replies to my question. I have seen this before as Hermit say's it is the oxford gear box again i remember now. I cant understand why these people are allowed to advertise these kits and how they get away with it. Cant something be done to stop these people from trading? also what is the big thing about wanting more speed surely it takes all the pleasure out of E-biking.
Regards Sammy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Cyclone motors up to 500 watts can perform ok, though I'd normally recommend limiting the choice to the 360 watt version at most. The 180 watt version is unacceptably weak. Of the two mountings, the forward one driving through a second chainwheel is preferable. They are slightly noisy, sound levels similar to the Currie motor on the old Izip bikes. In preference to the batteries Cyclone sell, I'd buy a Li Ping LiFePO4 version.

These kit motors do need to have some waterproofing in our climate, particularly because the rust proofing isn't very good and the mounting positions are very exposed to front tyre spray. It's a good idea to fabricate a simple shield from alloy or plastic to deflect that spray before it hits the motor.

Since they drive through the chain and therefore utilise the bike's gears, they are both good at hill climbing and higher than normal assist speeds, not a common combination in e-bikes.

Some members own Cyclones and they've largely been happy with them. Agents like Cyclemaster/Oxford Gearbox punting grossly overpowered versions do them no favours of course. The high power versions are really intended for the USA leisure market where e-bikes are largely treated as fun toys, only rarely as serious transport.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, one to avoid, some bold claims there inc the weight of 5.2KG....I think they forgot to include the battery....

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
The Cyclone motors up to 500 watts can perform ok, though I'd normally recommend limiting the choice to the 360 watt version at most. The 180 watt version is unacceptably weak. Of the two mountings, the forward one driving through a second chainwheel is preferable. They are slightly noisy, sound levels similar to the Currie motor on the old Izip bikes. In preference to the batteries Cyclone sell, I'd buy a Li Ping LiFePO4 version.

These kit motors do need to have some waterproofing in our climate, particularly because the rust proofing isn't very good and the mounting positions are very exposed to front tyre spray. It's a good idea to fabricate a simple shield from alloy or plastic to deflect that spray before it hits the motor.

Since they drive through the chain and therefore utilise the bike's gears, they are both good at hill climbing and higher than normal assist speeds, not a common combination in e-bikes.

Some members own Cyclones and they've largely been happy with them. Agents like Cyclemaster/Oxford Gearbox punting grossly overpowered versions do them no favours of course. The high power versions are really intended for the USA leisure market where e-bikes are largely treated as fun toys, only rarely as serious transport.
Hi Flecc thanks for your info on these Kits i think i will pass on these kits the thing is my partner who is a lot heavier than me is the one interested in a more powerful E-bike he doesnt know much about E-bikes as he has only been on mine a few times. He see these bikes and kits on ebay and he is tempted to buy one but i keep stopping him as i dont want him to get ripped off and end up with a load of rubbish, i am so glad that there is a forum like this with people like you and others who are happy to advise us and warn us of the pitfalls.
Thankyou very much for your advise.
Regards Sammy

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Flecc thanks for your info on these Kits i think i will pass on these kits the thing is my partner who is a lot heavier than me is the one interested in a more powerful E-bike he doesnt know much about E-bikes as he has only been on mine a few times. He see these bikes and kits on ebay and he is tempted to buy one but i keep stopping him as i dont want him to get ripped off and end up with a load of rubbish, i am so glad that there is a forum like this with people like you and others who are happy to advise us and warn us of the pitfalls.
Thankyou very much for your advise.
Regards Sammy
Don't get caught in the trap that motor power is everything, the other components need to be able to support it. There are some large chaps on here that use the pricier brands (Khalkoff, Wisper, Ezee) with great success as the motors are more than capable. Some of the cheaper brands have also performed well but I don't know of any particularly rotund riders on them.
The best bet by far is to make an effort and test different bikes as they all ride differently.

Edit: It just dawned on me that you are after a kit, the above still stands apart from the test ride bit.

Last edited:

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
Don't get caught in the trap that motor power is everything, the other components need to be able to support it. There are some large chaps on here that use the pricier brands (Khalkoff, Wisper, Ezee) with great success as the motors are more than capable. Some of the cheaper brands have also performed well but I don't know of any particularly rotund riders on them.
The best bet by far is to make an effort and test different bikes as they all ride differently.

Edit: It just dawned on me that you are after a kit, the above still stands apart from the test ride bit.
Hi Mussels
Thanks for your advice he is not going to buy any rubbish kits he is just having a moan, i think i will let him ride around on my Synergie cruiser for a while. My partner is nearly 17 stone i think he expects to much from an E-bike.
We live in Leeds and we dont know of any place where we can try out a Wisper or any of the other top named brands, so we sort of rely on this forum to help us out.
Regards Sammy and thanks again to all

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Mussels
Thanks for your advice he is not going to buy any rubbish kits he is just having a moan, i think i will let him ride around on my Synergie cruiser for a while. My partner is nearly 17 stone i think he expects to much from an E-bike.
We live in Leeds and we dont know of any place where we can try out a Wisper or any of the other top named brands, so we sort of rely on this forum to help us out.
17 stone isn't all that heavy really. I looked up the spec of your bike and it's a bit less powerful than most hub motors, however these specs are usually unreliable so maybe someone with more experience will know. Is he feeling lazy?

sammy06forever

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2009
17 stone isn't all that heavy really. I looked up the spec of your bike and it's a bit less powerful than most hub motors, however these specs are usually unreliable so maybe someone with more experience will know. Is he feeling lazy?
Yes Mussels that sound about right for him, he think you shouldnt have to you your legs:)
I didnt know that my bike was less powerful than other it pulls me along nicely mine you i am only 10 stone and have learnt to use my legs.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Mussels
Hi Sammy, Innocycle in York stock a good range of quality electric bikes and offer fantastic service and back up.

All the best

David