Cycling Accident :(

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
This made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Thank you so much. You're awesome :)

And thank you to everyone else too. Apart from a swollen lip, I feel fine this morning and the neck pain seems to have gone.
Are you sure that it is not a nasty cold sore appearing and as for your neck pain, how do you position you pillows before retiring to bed?

MS. xxxxxxxxxx

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Good job you had your feet off the ground or else we could have been watching you star on Channel 4's Embarrassing Bodies.
Hi tillson please don't take this the wrong way but I really admire your picture.
I don't know but there is sometime cool and relaxing about it and very manly.
Maybe it is the handsome look.

MS.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Steady now......

Glad you're ok, it can give your confidence a knock as well, take comfort in the fact we've all done far stupider things!

I get knocked about a bit in city traffic every day but disc brakes stop me in time when people put out on me or get to close. I did manage to ride no handed this morning for a bit though just so I could give a driver both middle fingers. Turns out he's a fellow NHS employee at my HQ!

Even the most experienced riders get caught out. Especially if there's a tricky left hand turn coming up !

Reactions: peerjay56

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Everyone makes mistakes drivers, cyclists etc. Pleased you are okay! Hope to hear more about your postive riding experiences but it happens to the best of us. I had a near miss when a pedestrian walked out without looking (I even indicated :) ) and I had to slam on the brakes!

Last edited:

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
I'm mostly offroad, and even so, I have about one accident per year (I count it as an accident if I come off the bike and hit the ground), and every time it's because I did something stupid. One of my finest was, I got the bike out of the car, unfolded it ready to set off. But. when I put the handlebars on, I had the front (motor) wheel back to front.

So I sat in the saddle, kicked off to go forwards, gave it some throttle to get me going, the motor sent me backwards, and I immediately hit the ground, it being difficult to balance when going backwards, and impossible to balance going backwards when you were expecting to go forwards.

No damage done, fortunately.
50+ Years ago when i was a "Biker" (1946 BSA 125cc Bantam) I was given the chance to ride a friends Ariel Arrow (250cc 2 cylinder 2 stroke). I gave the kick start a gentle prod and it started. Pulled in the clutch, engaged first gear, revved up a little (thank goodness) and let the clutch out. The bike went backwards and only stopped when the handlebars jammed against my thighs!
Two stroke engines can run backwards just as well as forwards, they rely on the momentum imparted by the kickstart to keep them running in the right direction. My gentle kick was not enough to ensure full rotation after ignition. I fact some of the "bubble cars" of the time did not have reverse gear, but actually reversed engine rotation. Needless to say I was never offered a drive of that Ariel Arrow

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Two stroke engines can run backwards just as well as forwards, they rely on the momentum imparted by the kickstart to keep them running in the right direction. /quote]
I bet Not a lot of people know that...

I certainly didn't & I rode motor sickles for years!

Reactions: Jazzist

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I was the proud owner of a Bond minicar. To go backwards, you switched off the engine. You then turned the key in an anticlockwise direction, and that restarted the engine running backwards. The engine had two sets of contact breaker points, to give correct ignition timing whatever the rotation direction. This meant that you now had four reverse gears!

This reminded me of a motorcycle I rode around the farm when I was about 13 or fourteen. It was a Red Panther 250cc. It was coil ignition, with an ignition key. On several occasions, when the engine was warm, it would do something strange. When you turned the key, there was a loud bang from the exhaust, and the engine would start without the use of the kickstart. This happened several times in front of witnesses.

I always assumed that it would only happened if the engine stopped in the right position, with mixture in the cylinder. Of all the engines I owned in my life, this is the only one that ever did it.