Cycling Gloves

C

Cyclezee

Since fracturing a bone in my hand almost 6 weeks ago, I have been thinking about getting a pair of gloves to give protection to my hands and fingers. Bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted you might say.
I want a pair that are lightweight, flexible, but will absorb impact in the event of a collision with a hard object, maybe using gell or rubber on the tops of the fingers and the back of the of the hand. Any suggestions?

I had a motorcycle accident when I was 16 and broke 3 fingers in my other hand, after that event, I remember buying a pair of fairly lightweight leather gloves with chunky rubber strips running up the fingers and across the back of the hand. Fortunately I didn't put them to the ultimate test.

My job requires a high degree of manual dexterity and hand eye coordination and I am finding it very difficult and uncomfortable to work at the moment due the limited mobility, phisiotherapy is helping slowly, but I really must look after my hands in future.

J:) hn

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I use a pair of enduro cycle gloves (lightweight and comfortable) - they may protect from grazing but I don't think they would give much protection against braking fingers.
Have you thought about checking out lightweight motorcycle gloves again. I would suggest looking at the type worn by green lane riders (where one blasts down overgrown muddy lanes) they are often light, flexible and have good finger padding.
I remember once going over the handlebars of my motorbike. I dislocated the little finger on my right hand. I also chipped the bone in my little finger on my left hand. So I had both hands strapped up - made it impossible to do anything for weeks :eek:

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Since fracturing a bone in my hand almost 6 weeks ago, I have been thinking about getting a pair of gloves to give protection to my hands and fingers. Bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted you might say.
I want a pair that are lightweight, flexible, but will absorb impact in the event of a collision with a hard object, maybe using gell or rubber on the tops of the fingers and the back of the of the hand. Any suggestions?

I had a motorcycle accident when I was 16 and broke 3 fingers in my other hand, after that event, I remember buying a pair of fairly lightweight leather gloves with chunky rubber strips running up the fingers and across the back of the hand. Fortunately I didn't put them to the ultimate test.

My job requires a high degree of manual dexterity and hand eye coordination and I am finding it very difficult and uncomfortable to work at the moment due the limited mobility, phisiotherapy is helping slowly, but I really must look after my hands in future.

Hi John

You might want to go for a downhill MTB glove like a fox unabomer. Evans stock them amongst others

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd also suggest looking at the stock in local motorcycle dealerships, they often have light and flexible but protective summer gloves.

Trumpet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2008
I was lucky, found a pair of lightweight motorcycling gloves for a quid at the car boot.

As a test just typed this message with them to see how long it would take to type. About a minute with a few mistakes, was going to chop the fingers tips off but I think I'll keep them just the way the are.:)

C

Cyclezee

Thanks Trumpet, but please don't chop your finger tips off, you might find typing even more difficult:eek:

I really need to do the rounds of the local bike shops and try some gloves on to see what is best. There are dozens to look at online.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I use a pair of enduro cycle gloves (lightweight and comfortable) - they may protect from grazing but I don't think they would give much protection against braking fingers.
I'd agree with that. I can't see any gloves preventing broken fingers ( except maybe boxing gloves :D ).

C

Cyclezee

I have spent a lot of time today checking out suitable gloves from cycle, motor cycle and sports shops. the best ones I found were Fox Unabomber from Evans Evans Cycles: Product: Fox Clothing Unabomber Glove , as mentioned by stokepa31_mk2.
They were comfortable and give good protection, but a bit pricey at £29.99, but what price do you put on safety? I didn't buy a pair today as I thought I might find some cheaper online, but I couldn't.
The only size that will fit me are XXL, many of the others I tried were just too small for my big hands:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cyclezee

I looked at all sorts of gloves rom the sublime to the ridiculous e.g. wicket keepers gloves with cm thick strips running up the fingers which look like a bunch of bannanas on the end of a hand. What I have decided on are lightweight, flexible but tough and offer a level of protection that would have prevented my original injury.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Mittens are actually a good option in winter because they keep your hands far warmer - your fingers are close together and share body warmth like little piggies in a pod :) If you are after protection though I'd go for the rigid armoured motorcycle gloves (not kevlar). Kevlar will stop you getting damage from your hand scraping along the road but won't help broken fingers due to impact with am immovable object very much.

C

Cyclezee

The gloves I have choosen have rigid carbon fibre sections, not kevlar. Motorcycle gloves are just too bulky and I don't ride in very cold and icy conditions, so weather protection is not an issue.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
The gloves I have choosen have rigid carbon fibre sections, not kevlar. Motorcycle gloves are just too bulky and I don't ride in very cold and icy conditions, so weather protection is not an issue.

Yep it was the carbon fibre gloves I meant when I was talking about the rigid ones. Motor cycle summer gloves are often like this.