Cycling Industry Bubble Burst

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I wonder what are your thoughts on this subject?

Cycling industry is in crisis. So many cycling companies are going into administration like CRC and Wiggle (BTW it is worth checking their websites for bargains now)... I must say I have very mixed feelings about it.
On one hand I am finding it very sad to see them go. I am talking about all companies, big and small and all job losses as result.
On another hand I don't like to be ripped off. I don't like that at all and this is what exactly was happening over last few years. I completely don't like direction in which cycling industry is heading - mass production of super expensive and disposable bikes. Maybe this is what industry needs? A proper shakeup?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Economy needs a shakeup. Second hand cars and vans have dropped. New EV prices fallen. House prices dropped a bit. High street dying. Will bounce back but not this year. Worries me a little as I see the decline all around

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Makers of expensive bikes won't tolerate reduction of fat profit margins. Post Brexit obstacles to trade and increased component costs may mean this is the time for the market share of less expensive to manufacture owner repairable ebikes to increase?

Reactions: Woosh

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
So many cycling companies are going into administration like CRC and Wiggle (BTW it is worth checking their websites for bargains now)...
TBH its a funny way to go into administration. I mean the normal way is the business closes, then the asset strippers move in, and sell off whats left. But currently both CRC and wiggle appear to still be in business(wiggle and crc are owned by signa sports.

I think its Signa thats in difficulties, but cycling is a big business and during the pandemic, more people started cycling so the companies over stocked. I think its this overstock thats currently being sold off and when that is done we'll get a better idea of whats going to happen.
mass production of super expensive and disposable bikes.
Really ?,I dont see that at all. No bike is truly disposable, unless its the £99 argos special, or one of those imported Ebikes £999 worth of tat.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Really ?,I dont see that at all. No bike is truly disposable, unless its the £99 argos special, or one of those imported Ebikes £999 worth of tat.
It['s actually the other way round. Most of the cheap bikes are easy to keep going with cheap and easily available components, and it's a falacy that cheap bikes wear out more quickly or are less reliable, as I already proved a few years ago.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
It['s actually the other way round. Most of the cheap bikes are easy to keep going with cheap and easily available components, and it's a falacy that cheap bikes wear out more quickly or are less reliable, as I already proved a few years ago.
I think it varies by model. A cheap rigid steel pseudo mountain bike will basically last forever but those nasty dual suspension bikes have suspension that doesn't last and wouldn't be worth replacing so do seem throwaway.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
The world economy is a bit of a mess. Here in the UK like many other countries; France, US, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Japan and I'm sure many others are saddled with huge debts which are still increasing and gradually increasing the level of taxes and reduction in services. The same is happening in many other countries to a lesser extent but as manufacturing moved away from Europe and the US the world economy de-stabilised and now many countries are much, much poorer which means China and Asia will sell less but China's economy is reliant on huge sales so it will be a mini-recession there as less goods are sold.

So the result of that is we are getting much poorer however in addition that is the Cycling retail industry in the UK went up hugely with the huge demand for bikes with covid and people thought that would continue perhaps they linked it to global warming and people would cycle more to save the planet but that was not the case. So basically there is a lot of surplus stock to move which means heavy discounting and difficult for people in the bike trade to make a decent margin. I guess its a consumer's paradise (if they weren't so poor) at the moment but it will stabilise again and prices will rise.

Definitely some bargains to be had.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I dont see that at all. No bike is truly disposable, unless its the £99 argos special, or one of those imported Ebikes £999 worth of tat.
That is how I see it. If you buy an expensive bike (lets say 5 or 10k) and you can't fix broken controller, motor or buy a spare battery, then bike like that becomes disposable. Of course you can still strip it for parts and sell on ebay, but I would very much prefer to have right to repair such product. Some manufactures are more open about it and admit they don't support their products out of warranty, but still I don't like this attitude and business model.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think it varies by model. A cheap rigid steel pseudo mountain bike will basically last forever but those nasty dual suspension bikes have suspension that doesn't last and wouldn't be worth replacing so do seem throwaway.
The one I tested was many years old full suspension and steel frame. It worked fine. It had had a lot of use. Brake pads were completely worn, and the BB had failed, which is why it was in the skip, but both were easily repaired for around £20 - far less than your average Bosch Bike chain that needs to be replaced in a lot less miles than what this bike had done.

Go to the station and look at the bikes in the racks there. They're mainly this type of bike, used year in and year out in all weathers with no maintenance. Ask soundwa e how much he's spent on his bike to keep it going. How many hubs have you seen collapse on a £100 catalogue bike. Even if one did, you could buy a complete new replacement bike for what Soundwave had to pay for his hub, and you could buy several replacement bikes for what he's spent on gears and chains, not that you'd need to.

• Agree
Reactions: flash

Dai Gleddau

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2024
Pembrokeshire
Absolutely. Still got my old Apollo 26" wheel 10spd rigid steel MTB... 25 years old (only ever replaced tyres, brake-cables and brake-blocks)

chris667

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
True story: I used to live on a narrowboat - I once knew someone who was fed up with his bikes getting stolen, so at night he'd tie his full suspension catalogue special to the end of his mooring line and throw it in the canal rather than locking it up.

Got through a bike every couple of months but no more theft. The bikes did OK for a while - certainly a lower price than he would have paid in bus fares.

• :D
  • Useful
Reactions: Az. and flecc

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
it's a fallacy that cheap bikes wear out more quickly or are less reliable, as I already proved a few years ago.
Good for you.

Best make a start on these then.P14-181016-330.jpg

esuark

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
that fella in front is obviously looking for a suitable one, but I think the one he`s trying is a bit small for him.;)