Cycling Specs

arthur49

Pedelecer
May 27, 2013
Mid Scotland
I wear spectacles but find my eyes streaming due to wind (not pollen) coming in past my specs onto my eyes. This has been an issue for years but now I'm 'electrified' I use a bike a lot more, go further and go faster than previously, so the issue is more annoying.

I've been looking at cycling specs (which do not appear to fit over my ordinary specs) and wondered if anyone can recommend a pair to reduce/eliminate wind nuisance?

I'm tempted by the ones in this link Venitex Fuji Clear Safety Glasses Specs Ideal Eyewear for Cycling MTB: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors but would appreciate any views/recommendations

Arthur:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suffer from the same problem and find that any eye wear that leaks draft around the sides can actually make matters worse with the buffeting. The only totally effective wear for me is the type of goggles that sport riders use like this example, but of course that can look daft on an e-bike.

So I compromise and use ones that wrap as closely as possible to the eyes and face curvature to minimise edge drafts while not looking outlandish. The one you illustrate is rather like that so should work quite well.

As an aside, contact lenses work extremely well too!

melspea

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2013
Lidl do changeable lens kits from time to time and the frame has a removable sponge seal which keeps out draughts and pollen. Although the lenses are some kind of plastic, they are excellent quality, better than some of my rather expensive sunglasses.

They also provide a choice inside the case of an elasticated strap or normal wraparound arms.

Melissa

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
The only totally effective wear for me is the type of goggles that sport riders use
Grommit looks like he has similar problems ...

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Depends how much you want to spend, but a customer recommended this firm
Browse by Sport - Cycling - Cycling Prescription Sunglasses - RxSport . I'm just waiting till I get my eyes checked again next month, and intend to place an order then. They can supply inserts that fit inside cycling style glasses. As an aside, the yellow tint (or, apparently, a rose tint) can ensure you are not plunged into darkness as you ride between light and shade.

Phil

I wear spectacles but find my eyes streaming due to wind (not pollen) coming in past my specs onto my eyes. This has been an issue for years but now I'm 'electrified' I use a bike a lot more, go further and go faster than previously, so the issue is more annoying.

I've been looking at cycling specs (which do not appear to fit over my ordinary specs) and wondered if anyone can recommend a pair to reduce/eliminate wind nuisance?

I'm tempted by the ones in this link Venitex Fuji Clear Safety Glasses Specs Ideal Eyewear for Cycling MTB: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors but would appreciate any views/recommendations

Arthur:confused:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Lidl do changeable lens kits from time to time and the frame has a removable sponge seal which keeps out draughts and pollen. Although the lenses are some kind of plastic, they are excellent quality, better than some of my rather expensive sunglasses.

They also provide a choice inside the case of an elasticated strap or normal wraparound arms.

Melissa
Sports dIrect have them as well. Same price from memory.....

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I think alot of people are missing that the op uses spectacles, so a lot of the recommended options above just aren't available to someone who needs spectacles.

I use ESS ADVANCER V12 GOGGLES with the RX inserts. Specsavers glazed the inserts for me for £30. I really like them and my eyes will water with a 1mph breeze so I use them all the time!

If it's really cold or windy I also use snowboard goggles that go over your glasses or these if I'm riding at night.

Last edited:

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
You might like to have a look at some of the safety glasses that we used at clay shooting, raparound safety and different coloured lens, some places also will make them to a perscription.

Bob

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
What about one of these helmets, but I don't have a clue where to get them from.
Victoria Pendleton and GB pursuit team win gold: Olympic cycling
you could try something like this if you have £299 to spare
helmet one.JPG
but this is probably more suitable for an E-bike @ £110
helmet2.jpg
2013 KASK Vintage Urban Commuter Cycling Helmet - Royal | Scotby Cycles

I am thinking of wearing the suit on my way to work however!...

Seriously though I would like to know if anyone has any experience of these types of visored helmets as I have worn glasses for over 40 years, can't manage without them and at £300 for the prescription lenses can't afford to have cycling glasses glazed. Any reports please

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
I plumpted for these Venitex Fuji Clear Safety Glasses Specs Ideal Eyewear for Cycling MTB: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing
Arrived today and went for a 15 mile spin.
Can't wear my normal specs under them but my eyesight is not that bad.
Huge improvement wearing these.....not a cure but 90% there?

Arthur
I use exactly the same specs. I don't wear glasses but the danger from insects and stray brambles sticking out the hedge on country lanes makes them essential equipment. I've had mine for some years and they have proved robust and effective.

D

Deleted member 4366

I use exactly the same specs. I don't wear glasses but the danger from insects and stray brambles sticking out the hedge on country lanes makes them essential equipment. I've had mine for some years and they have proved robust and effective.
Stop making us jealous. They don't fit over spectacles!

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
I can just see their faces in the pub when I turn up wearing that. Handy when you accidentally ride your bike into the canal though!
What a fine example of their versatility. Team them with a wet suit and it wont look silly at all. :)

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
I got some from specsavers ,transitions, polycarb lenses,frame made by Leader sports...£70.....comes with case and lots of anti mist wipes. £140 in total. You have to look in their magazine to find them as not a stock item.