Cyclist age

What age group are you in?

• Total voters

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
just found this whilst looking for something else, glad to see there are a few more young'uns on here than I thought...

TBH my work colleagues were more intrigued at my ebike and one lady was considering getting one as she was fed up with petrol prices.

Most of my friends didn't think it was in the slightest bit odd a man of my age should be riding an ebike given the mileages I cover on my regular bike (its not uncommon for me to cycle to Stowmarket and beyond) - plus they've accepted I ride a "old fashioned" bike anyway (i.e with mudguards, racks etc) and the Powacycle Salisbury just looks like a fairly normal mountain bike - people think the battery is some sort of storage box..

actually there is a resurgence in cycling in this area and its not uncommon to see all manner of bikes on the road including e-bikes...

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Wow.. I never thought I'd be in the majority group here. I'm a 36 year old youngster :) ... (or perhaps I'm only 35... I have actually honestly forgotten how old I am)

Edit : Have checked with my wife... She tells me I'm only 35.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The edge scale has always been wrong on this, the bottom one being the oldest group and the majority. It's probably most of those over 50, but some of those are in the confusing 51 to 50 block.

We've always had an older age bias with many members in their 60s and 70s but still get a steady flow of younger members joining, particularly those in their 30s and 40s. Only a minority enter their age anyway, the post by Alex above being the first for a year in this thread.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
For some reason, i totally failed to notice the 48% down at the bottom. Probably a good indication that it's time for me to drink some more coffee :)

bigskelf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2008
near Perth
www.woodenquaich.com
47.... still in the 50's then

Picking up my first ebike today, and at 47 looking forward to losing some weight and getting fit enough to really enjoy my second century.

Just bought a brace of voyagers for me and my nearest and dearest. So I guess you could another couple of green bikes to the google map just south of Perth.:D

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
The edge scale has always been wrong on this, the bottom one being the oldest group and the majority. It's probably most of those over 50, but some of those are in the confusing 51 to 50 block.

We've always had an older age bias with many members in their 60s and 70s but still get a steady flow of younger members joining, particularly those in their 30s and 40s. Only a minority enter their age anyway, the post by Alex above being the first for a year in this thread.
==========================================================

3 years i qualify to enter my age.....:)

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I've just turned 40 and have been riding conventional bikes for years. Changes in circumstances mean I now work much further from where I live and a regular bike just wasn't feasible.

I love my e-bike. It gets me from a to b. That's all it's for.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just bought a brace of voyagers for me and my nearest and dearest. So I guess you could another couple of green bikes to the google map just south of Perth.:D
I've entered you on the members map now bigskelf. :)

I can't put two bike symbols against one name, but if you go to your name on the alpha list you'll see I've noted the two Voyagers. Click on your name to see the location and full information.

Map Link

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
I join the majority age group at 58. I had'nt ridden a bike for years (lots of years) and as work is 14 miles an electric bike is VERY useful.
chess

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Oldest e-biker?

Hi everyone. I shall be 75 on 26th of this month. Am I the oldest e biker I wonder? I am looking forward to better biking weather and the return of my Synergie Mistral from ETS where it is under investigation for a mysterious fault.

I ride largely for pleasure and exercise and also sometimes for shopping.

Rod

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Itspeteinit was riding at I think 78 only about a year back, but I don't think he is now, so you could be the oldest current rider member, though I've a feeling that there's another older member.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Thanks Flecc, - I had guessed though!

As I you'd probably conclude from the post, I'm in that group (50 soon...). I am reasonably fit, but there's no way I could commute to work without the assistance of a motor, given the nature of my commute. It is only 8 -10 miles, but very hilly, and we get a lot of wind straight off the Atlantic. I wouldn't get much work done for the first hour if I had to pedal (unassisted) the whole way! Even with an electric bike I'd be pretty pleased with myself if I could still pedal the entire route at 78...... Actually, I think I'd be pretty pleased to get to 78....:) .

Phil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I you'd probably conclude from the post, I'm in that group (50 soon...). I am reasonably fit, but there's no way I could commute to work without the assistance of a motor, given the nature of my commute. It is only 8 -10 miles, but very hilly, and we get a lot of wind straight off the Atlantic. I wouldn't get much work done for the first hour if I had to pedal (unassisted) the whole way!

Phil
That goes for lots of us Phil, the electric assist making it viable even on the flat. I wouldn't have been riding past 70 without it.

davidw

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2008
High in the Northern Pennines
Itspeteinit was riding at I think 78 only about a year back, but I don't think he is now, so you could be the oldest current rider member, though I've a feeling that there's another older member.
Could be me Flecc. 76 last May, 700 miles since then although not getting many in this weather. Still roll on longer days and, God willing, 77 in May.
David W

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Could be me Flecc. 76 last May, 700 miles since then although not getting many in this weather. Still roll on longer days and, God willing, 77 in May.
David W
Good to hear David, and I'm betting you could be our first to still ride at 80. :)

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I'm not sure if he's the oldest cyclist or not, but I've found a picture of Henry Allingham riding his bike (NOT electric!) at the age of100 yrs!!!!!! Apparently that's the age at which he stopped riding it. In the photograph the bike is a full crossbar road bike - not even a step through. Wow. Respect is definitely due.
For the record you will find it in the book "Kitchener's last volunteer", his official biography. I'm sure most of you will know who he is, but for any that don't, he is Britain's oldest surviving First World War veteran. He is currently 112 years old :)

Cheers, Phil