Cyclist Cop Dies

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can I suggests a comparison test ?

Take a picture at a distance, in twilight, of the lights you have been trying, lined up in a row, at the same height that they would be if on a bike and next to a car with its rear lights on.

And for a real comparison for us oldies, have one of the cycle lights an old grey plastic rear light, the type that were powered by two U2 batteries.
I've only got one 1800LM headlight at the moment, but if I get another of the same to complete my project... risking being clapped in irons, beaten with telephone directories, and thrown down stairs by the rozzers... I'll park my bike with the second headlight fitted on the rear rack with red filters and perhaps a Batman shaped diffuser, next to a busy road and take some photos of of that adapted rear light in all three modes, next to car headlights and rear lights as they fly past so you can see a comparison. I may even shoot HD video using a Canon DSLR to upload to Youtube. Best I can do.

But there's time consuming aluminium fettling to do first.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020
Using your phone while driving in motion should be an automatic 6 month jail sentence (not suspended), notwithstanding it hasn't caused an accident. If it has caused an accident, then the book should be thrown at them. There are absolutely no excuses, zero, zilch. These twats are a grade 1 menace.

Reactions: guerney

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Im looking to get a new back light and a Hope district+ rear light was suggested, so I'll probably go for that(and because im a Hope nut)

Be safe. Be seen

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0286_01.JPG
DSC_0287_04.JPG
:p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A driver of a vehicle traveling at 60mph misses seeing 26.8 metres of road per second of staring at the phone. Time taken for the eyes register what's on the road after glancing down, pressing a button and/or swiping to read something on a phone screen, looking up and refocusing, could be five seconds looking at a social media post, or 134 metres of road view missed. Or even more if they are typing out a response. Therefore a rear light needs to be extremely bright to be noticeable at 134+ metres to a driver's eyes looking down at a phone.

Fortunately, there's no maximum brightness stated in cycling laws for lights, but unfortunately there are rozzers who would very likely object if they're dazzled by a 1800LM rear bike light, but that or brighter is required imho.

So far, cops have ignored my 1800LM headlight. They've driven by and not turned to engage in hot pursuit. I'm hoping they'll also ignore a 1800LM headlight made red and used as a rear light - I think that it's shocking red 1800LM flashing mode will very likely be a problem, so I'll go with it's approx. 900LM mode to start with at night, but will use 1800LM flashing red during the day.

It'll be soldered to the battery through an inline blade fuse and handlebar switch. If I use the same switch for both front and rear 1800LM lights, I could get both of them flashing in alarming fashion when approaching intersections and roundabouts by switching to that mode, which is activated by rapidly turning off and on twice. I'll need a separate switch per light, if I want the option of different modes for each light.

Fuck it - I'm going to do it. I've just ordered a second one of these to make red for the rear rack. It's a bit big for a rear light, and will probably need a longer aluminium sheet on the rack to make room for it, plus possibly a diffuser plus my ebike battery, increasing the folded size of my bike a bit. If I get booked by plod, it'll be handy as a spare or second headlight. It's price has reduced since I bought one last year, which might mean these will be phased out.

Independent control of lights would be safer, so I've ordered this switch. There's no room on my handlebars for the wider variety. This isn't on ebay or Amazon for UK delivery, so it'll take about 2 weeks to arrive.

Last edited:

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
My pet hate is the pedestrians who glance down the road for cars, dont see you as a cyclist, then walk diagonaly across the road with thier back to the traffic.
I beep everyone and everything with my 120db Hornit to keep me safe, like this wobbling drunk idiot who almost walked directly in front -

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Years ago I used a 12-80v front light on the rear, I simply placed a red acetate film over the white light to show red, it was imv mega bright. I only stopped using it as I went back to a more simple set up of bright usb lights.

I used this light for approx. 6 years and bought it via banggood for a few quid.

DSCF0007.JPG

The same light used as the front light.
DSCF0012.JPG

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Years ago I used a 12-80v front light on the rear, I simply placed a red acetate film over the white light to show red, it was imv mega bright. I only stopped using it as I went back to a more simple set up of bright usb lights.

I used this light for approx. 6 years and bought it via banggood for a few quid.
View attachment 49253
Blimey, that rear light looks bright! Were you harassed by cops? Beeped at by drivers? Looking at that rear light, I might not add a Batman shaped diffuser.

I now recall it was you that suggested the front of my headlight could probably be unscrewed to insert acetate sheet. Thank you.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I never had any issues with any one, tbh I don't give a ***k about motorists If I want to be visible. We have to put up with their terrible driving and disconcern for other road users.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In response to the stories of cyclists killed by drivers I looked up pedestrians killed by cyclists.
As bad as any death is, the vast majority of deaths were when the pedestrian stepped into the carriageway without looking, effectively they were responsible for their own demise. The cyclist then faced a slew of charges of which many don't make sense.
For example, the road is a 30mph limit, with all the traffic going back and forth doing 30+. The pedestrian steps out without looking properly, or with faced buried int heir phone, is then hit by a cyclist, doing less that the traffic around them and is charged with a wanton and furious cycling charge.
The reason is the fundamental that any vehicle user is expected to be able to stop for, or avoid, anything that may occur.

That is especially true for pedestrians who are only exercising their natural function, while vehicle users are the ones doing the unnatural thing, so have the entire liability for avoidance.

Odd though it might seem, pedestrians don't have to avoid collisions in law, that's why there is no offence of "jay walking", even though we speak of it as though it exists in law.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

View attachment 49253

The same light used as the front light.
View attachment 49255
That's a impressively bright rear light, which I'm sure would make a big difference on the road day or night, if all cyclists used them. Beats the pants out of piddly sub-100LM efforts...

Motorbikes have twin headlights and bright rear lights, I see no reason why I can't have them too. Cyclists can end up just as mangled and dead. I've wanted two bright headlights for awhile - so rather than having to resolder again at some future date, I've ordered a third 1800LM headlight. My plan now is to have twin 1800LM headlights at the front and one headlight made red at the back, all independently switched.

A total of 3200LM directed beams from the front should do the job day or night, and I'll have the option of flashing 1800LM, dim or steady 1800LM on all three, for max flexibility. I'll have all of them flashing when approaching roundabouts or intersections. They'll also all be flashing during the day. Or two constant one flashing, or two flashing one constant etc.

Beams from the two headlights on the handlebar will be angled to illuminate different distances - I need the area close to the bike illuminated when going slow, and light thrown further out when going fast. I will no longer need to reposition my headlights while cycling.

Awaiting deliveries - might be weeks for the additional dual switch, because AliExpress now says it'll be dispatched in 7 days, despite the ad stating it would be delivered within 15 days... annoying.

And I still might be squashed by a texting driver.

Last edited:

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Another tragedy in the bike world.
I learned a long ago that using an A road or a busy B road is tant amount to taking your life into your hands. No matter how careful you are, or how well equipped - there are too many dangerous drivers out there and it is only a matter of time before you become a casualty. British main roads are too busy to be able to relax or enjoy now.
Stick to C roads and back lanes if possible.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
back lanes
I almost got flattened by a van on a unlit back lane recently - I was hugging the left at that bend, as it cut across the bend and hurtled past with a couple of feet to spare. I would have been squashed riding middle lane. They look for the glow of vehicle headlights at bends, and when they don't see them, they cut across... which is when extremely bright headlights on one's bicycle may well be useful.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I almost got flattened by a van on a unlit back lane recently - I was hugging the left at that bend, as it cut across the bend and hurtled past with a couple of feet to spare. I would have been squashed riding middle lane. They look for the glow of vehicle headlights at bends, and when they don't see them, they cut across... which is when extremely bright headlights on one's bicycle may well be useful.
I've had a couple of pulling out incidents on this latest trip. As long as I anticipate, slow down, take road position and don't commit to the threatened road space I don't get hit. But I make sure the driver sees me and realises what they nearly just did.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've had a couple of pulling out incidents on this latest trip. As long as I anticipate, slow down, take road position and don't commit to the threatened road space I don't get hit. But I make sure the driver sees me and realises what they nearly just did.
A couple of recent miscalculations by drivers at intersections have happened while they were stop/starting into poisition uphill - they couldn't control their cars, thought I was a goner last week when one used too much power uphill, and my last view of the car was when it was heading towards my front wheel and about a foot away. I'm here uninjured, so he must have stopped.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I only ordered this light at 5.38am yesterday and it's been delivered today in record time, by the worst delivery service imaginable - Hermes. I'm now tempted to solder it to the battery through this inline blade fuse to use as a rear light, and use the battery switch to toggle through it's three lighting modes. The trouble with doing that, is I'd have to stop cycling, reach the battery to switch modes, and will have to re-enter my security code on the display. I'll force myself to wait for the dual handlebar switch. On the other hand, it's getting ever earlier dark... :eek:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
it will be next year now before the facts appear of the recent killing of the 'Warrior Princess', yet another case for the welsh courts to proceed over.
"Pontypridd Coroner's Court heard the impact of the crash caused her bike to snap in half. "

"The inquest was adjourned for four months while police investigate. "

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
"Lucy John, 35, died while she was on a training ride on 16 October on the A48 near Laleston, Bridgend."

Know it well, cycled down that road a few times myself on the way to the Gower.