Cyclist jailed after Tower Hamlets hit-and-run death

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
2 years isn't much for killing someone by wreckless riding .

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Can't even take his license away, or insist on a retest. Sounds like they MIGHT be able to deport him though, at least until he swims back in. You'd think we had enough home grown eejets, without importing some.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It appears 2 years is the max sentence for the crime, so he was handed the heaviest sentence possible as a consequence of the severity of the crime.
Shame he can't be deported to Siberia for 10 years hard labour.

Glynned

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2021
Derbyshire uk
It appears 2 years is the max sentence for the crime, so he was handed the heaviest sentence possible as a consequence of the severity of the crime.
Shame he can't be deported to Siberia for 10 years hard labour.
I think you will find he’s already out, due to time served on remand

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes his sentence will include that spent in custody, he is due or was due for a right to stay immigration application. Hopefully now he has a crim record he will be deported, Albania I believe or somewhere like it.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

Terry777

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2021
Edinburgh
No wonder they are willing to risk everything to get here (UK) by hook or by crook! Two years for killing someone when you are here illegally then handed a house and near a working wage in benefits! Add the house and everything together and it’s a decent standard of living. The UK gov doing a fine job as usual! Whew!

Such a shame for the man and his poor family. Must be so hard to accept and justify…

tonyw

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2019
His mistake was hitting someone on a bike. If he'd been driving a car he'd probably have got away with a slap on the wrist.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
His mistake was hitting someone on a bike. If he'd been driving a car he'd probably have got away with a slap on the wrist.
Unlikely, the sentence for causing death by driving either dangerously or carelessly is up to two years and that maximum allowed is the norm in the courts these days.

I know of one case where inattention through use of her sat nav caused a mother of two children to run into and kill a cyclist who also had two children. Her sentence was slightly reduced to 18 months custody, but all other cases in the last few years that I know of have seen the whole two years custodial given.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some sentencing needs looking at, though no families of victims will see it as any justice.

tonyw

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2019
Unlikely, the sentence for causing death by driving either dangerously or carelessly is up to two years and that maximum allowed is the norm in the courts these days.

14 years max for death by dangerous driving, only the worst cases get the maximum, assuming the driver is charged at all.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Amoto65