Cyclone in the rain

stevew

Pedelecer
This motor unit is mounted under the bottom bracket and drives the chain just after it leaves the chainwheel. You can see it here Electric Bicycle Motor Kits from Cyclone-USA although I got mine directly from Taiwan.
I've read quite a few times about people sealing the spot where the cables enter the motor with some sort of sealant to prevent the ingress of water. When I fitted my motor I did not use any extra sealant but I did make sure that the cable entry was at the rear of the motor away from the direct spray from the front wheel. I also fitted a mudflap to the bottom of the front mudguard to control the spray.
It all seems to have worked well because this is the second time I have used it in really wet conditions and, no problems.
Today was especially wet and I was out in it all morning. The ride to and from work was about 16 miles in all and most of it seemed like I was riding along a river bed !! Really wet with a lot of spray.
Everything is still working fine.
Just thought I'd let you know.
BTW anyone know what's happened to Cyclone Taiwan's web site and all that lovely music ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BTW anyone know what's happened to Cyclone Taiwan's web site and all that lovely music ?
Most of it has disappeared Steve, possibly because many didn't like much of it. However it's not all gone. If you use the link below and click on Profile in the top bar, you'll see Savannah who is the music fan there, giving a little speech on the company accompanied by a classical background.

Then if you click on Home at the left of the top bar, you'll hear Jerry Chang's amazing electric guitar arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon which Savannah originally lifted from YouTube:

Cyclone Taiwan

Last edited:

stevew

Pedelecer
Must have been a glitch with my computer 'cos the original link I had is now OK. Thanks Tony.

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Steve,

Thank you for posting the link to Cyclone USA, I had forgotten where I had seen those tests of the different Cyclone motors being used with different batteries. Pity he did not test the 24V 10Ah Life04.

Dave

stevew

Pedelecer
Quote "Pity he did not test the 24V 10Ah Life04."

Is this the same as the one I have from Cyclone, the 24v LiFePo4 ?

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
In Cyclone USA, under performance, he tests a 24V 24Ahr Li-Ion battery.
I like his style of testing and as he buys from Cyclone.tw I wish he had tested their battery. I would have valued his results as there is nowhere on my recumbent that a cycle computer could be mounted that I could read it.

Dave