Help! Cyclotricity 250w front kit queries

eSteve

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2019
Hi I just bought a 250w front kit and fitted it thursday, when i first took it out straight after and tested it with the throttle and no peddling it held me at a steady 17.8mph the next day on my commute the max it will hit is 15Mph exactly. Also i find any hill still hard work it doesent fee like much help on the highest PAS setting (5) in fact all the setting feel around the same. I have taken out a 250w bike from halfords and that flew up hills.

Has anyone had an experienece with this kit? the reviews where people have bought this say they fly up hills with no issue.

Im only 84 KG and my bike before the kit was 14 KG.
If i turn the bike upside down and run full throttle the speed reads 18Mph

Im going to try and reach out to Cyclotricity and see what they say but would appriciate any thought or experiences with this kit.

Thanks
Steve

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do you have the LED or LCD control panel?

The controller is probably set to 14 amps (see label). You can increase it up to at least 18 amps, which will give you 28% more torque for climbing hills, but we need to know which control panel you have before deciding on the best method.

eSteve

Apr 13, 2019
Hi thanks for the reply I have a kt-lcd1
I have check what the max speed is set to and it’s currently 72kph

The first time I rode it it did 17.5 on the flat now never does more than 15

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It could be that you just have a slow motor. The only way to know is to measure the speed with the wheel off the ground when the battery is full and again when at least half empty. The same speed indicates a controller speed limit. A difference in speed proportional to battery voltage indicates a motor speed limit.

I think that the LCD1 doesn't give access to he setting for current. Do a search for KT-LCD1 manual to find out how to use it. The Cyclotricity manual only gives pat of the info. Also, downliad a copy of the KT-LCD3 manual to see how to get to the C parameter settings and see if that works on your LCD1.

If none of that works, you can do a "shunt mod", where you add solder to the shunt in the controller. You get an increase in current proportional to the length you solder. About 25% is a safe limit. It's a very easy to do modification - basically 4 screws and a blob of solder. If you want to do it, I can give you a more detailed instruction.

eSteve

Apr 13, 2019
Thanks ill take a look later when im home, not really sure about modding it as the kit is only 4 days old.

eSteve

Apr 13, 2019
Hi just an update when fully charged the wheel spins when lifted off the ground at 19 Mph and when half full it was 18-18.5

eSteve

Apr 13, 2019
im not sure if im expecting to much but it just doesn't feel like it helps a great amount up hill
People in the reviews say they feel like superman and fly up hills on there front hub kits.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi just an update when fully charged the wheel spins when lifted off the ground at 19 Mph and when half full it was 18-18.5
There would be about 10% difference in speed if your motor is limiting the speed.

You can get more torque for climbing if you do the shunt mod mentioned earlier,or you can try to get access to the parameter in the LCD that adjusts the current.