Cyclotricity kit versus 8fun kit

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Any big differences between these kits ? Are the front hub motors and the bottle batteries the same ?
The Cyclotricity kit would be £450 for the motor, bottle battery, controller and thumb throttle...... but for £437 I could buy the 8fun kit, which would include the pedelec sensor and the led display.

Not sure that I even want the pedelec sensor and would probably be happy with just a thumb throttle to keep things simple..... but may feel the need for the pedelec some time in the future.

Any reasons which kit would be better ?

D

Deleted member 4366

A pedal sensor makes life much simpler and it's easier to install than a throttle.

There's no significant difference between those kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
A pedal sensor makes life much simple and is easier to install than a throttle.

There's no significant difference between those kits.
Thanks..... so including the pedel assist sensor and led display, makes the 8fun kit £63 cheaper then. If there's really no difference in the motor or battery then its a no brainer.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Does anyone know if there's any difference in the dimensions of the Cyclotricity and the 8fun front hub motors ?
My main concern being fork clearance, 100mm dropouts but they then narrow in on the fork arms by about 5mm each side..... although I would be prepared to grind a few mil off the inside the forks if I could get away with it. SR Suntour M3000 suspension forks which are nothing special so i'm not bothered about shaving a bit off them.

D

Deleted member 4366

The 8Fun kit uses a Bafang QSXK5 motor. Details hre:
°Ë·½µç»ú

This advert shows the Cycltricity one as a MXUS XF07:
Cyclotricity eKit Basic 7Ah (Seatpost Battery) at the E-Motion store
I haven't been able to find a drawing on the internet, but I have a catalogue drawing that shows that it's similar to the Bafang.

With either motor, you need your drop-outs on the inboard side of the fork. Some forks have them in the middle, which is no good. I reckon that your fork leg can come about 5mm inside the drop-out. Any more might touch the motor.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The 8Fun kit uses a Bafang QSXK5 motor. Details hre:
°Ë·½µç»ú

This advert shows the Cycltricity one as a MXUS XF07:
Cyclotricity eKit Basic 7Ah (Seatpost Battery) at the E-Motion store
I haven't been able to find a drawing on the internet, but I have a catalogue drawing that shows that it's similar to the Bafang.

With either motor, you need your drop-outs on the inboard side of the fork. Some forks have them in the middle, which is no good. I reckon that your fork leg can come about 5mm inside the drop-out. Any more might touch the motor.
Cheers for those links..... The dropouts are in the middle of the forks, but the inside of the forks have a cut out that raises 100mm above the drop outs, this is obviously to accommodate a disc, although this is still about 5mm narrower on each side than the dropouts. Its hard to explain and i'll post some pics of it sometime soon.
I think its going to be really tight and wont know for certain until I try a front hub motor..... it looks to me like it would be ok to grind this recessed part of the fork down a mil or two further without compromising the structure of the forks.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
These imports certainly have very attractive prices but being a complete novice I was put off by seemingly no warranty (maybe I'm wrong about that) and possible customs charges.
Sorry, I've just re-read and you didn't say it was an import.....

Last edited:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
These imports certainly have very attractive prices but being a complete novice I was put off by seemingly no warranty (maybe I'm wrong about that) and possible customs charges.
Sorry, I've just re-read and you didn't say it was an import.....
That's correct DC..... the kits and prices that i'm talking about in this thread from Cyclotricity and 8fun are both from uk sellers.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Its certainly a no brainer on price..... 63 quid is too much of a price difference not to take into consideration. However.... I've noticed that people on here have bought the more expensive Cyclotricity kit and I would like to ascertain whether there's any difference in quality, performance or reliability.
While lurking this forum over the past few months on & off, i'm sure I read a post claiming that the Cyclotricity kit is more reliable.... but that may have been from a Cyclotricity seller, I cant remember the poster who said it, neither can I find the post again.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Its certainly a no brainer on price..... 63 quid is too much of a price difference not to take into consideration. However.... I've noticed that people on here have bought the more expensive Cyclotricity kit and I would like to ascertain whether there's any difference in quality, performance or reliability.
While lurking this forum over the past few months on & off, i'm sure I read a post claiming that the Cyclotricity kit is more reliable.... but that may have been from a Cyclotricity seller, I cant remember the poster who said it, neither can I find the post again.
I think it's going to be hard to evaluate and compare the two kits as inevitably peoples opinions will be based on their own experience, no two individuals requirements and expectations will be quite the same and probably no one owns both kits.
As an absolute novice I had the same difficulty in making a decision and in the end went with my gut feeling and ordered what I thought would be right for me i.e. Cyclotricity with thumb throttle only.
Luckily it turned out fine and after close on 900 miles I'm still more than happy with my personal choice but I'll bet you will find someone who will say the same about the 8fun.
Unless you find someone who's had a bad experience with 8fun and as it's quite a bit cheaper it sounds the one to go for.
I would wait a day or two and hopefully you might get some more informed advice than I'm qualified to give, maybe from someone who has fitted the 8fun.
I doubt it will turn in to a "mine is better than yours" kind of thread.:)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Yes, I wont be ordering a kit so soon as the next few days.... there's still the possible problem with the fork clearance that i'm not sure about yet, so may have to look at rear hub motors as well.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Your forks are really crappy. Why not use the opportunity to upgrade to some nice forks like Rockshox Darts. If you don't have a disc brake, you can get one of those too You need a 180mm rotor.
2012 ROCKSHOX DART 1 - 100MM - 9MM QR - MATT BLACK- ATC 48354 | eBay
KOOKA CABLE DISC BRAKE 180MM FRONT | eBay
Yes that's a very good option and I will consider that..... i'm aware that my Suntour forks are bargain basement and even when I bought the bike I thought I would need to change them at some point, although I've found no problem with them yet for my needs.

D

Deleted member 4366

After upgrading to Darts, you'll then be able to see the shortcomings in your existing ones. Darts are nothing special compared with air forks but the difference from your present ones is massive. You can get used Darts for even less, but £69 for new ones is a bargain.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
After upgrading to Darts, you'll then be able to see the shortcomings in your existing ones. Darts are nothing special compared with air forks but the difference from your present ones is massive. You can get used Darts for even less, but £69 for new ones is a bargain.
Yes. i'm sure your right..... and the price is very good.
It makes the fork clearance issue unimportant now I know I can just change the forks for that reasonable price. Cheers for the link.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
I always research everything before I buy it, it took me 4 months to find the right mountain bike for me about 6 years ago, I ended up buying a specialized epic that I loved and wish I still had it, anyway I have really researched into a kit before I bought one and to be honest there isn't much difference between these two kits, 2 of the main reasons I went for the cyclotricity is that the bottle battery and wheel rim are both black and suited my bike more, the other is I heard a lot of good feed back about my kit and that just kind of made my mind up.

any of these kits would do you fine in my opinion and sometimes it might just come down to price or looks.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Well ATM i'm still veering towards the 8fun...... this is purely on price and knowing i'll have the pedal assist for if I want to fit it sometime in the future.
Unless of course.... someone comes on here and convinces me the 8fun is crap :D

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes they would need filing out. I've never installed a front motor without needing to file. It's always advisable to fit a torque arm on the front unless you're really good at fabrication/spanner work and have absolute confidence in your installation. It's very easy to fit a torque arm if you have a disc brake like the picture below. Can I make a suggestion. I don't usually push my stuff, but it' may solve your problem. I can sell you a 26" wheel MXUS rear cassette motor kit with LCD display, inline brake sensors and torque arm for £255. I've three motors left now out of the ten I bought. All you need to buy then is a good bottle battery for about £200 - £250, and you'd have a much better setup. You can find the motor and controller in the "Classified" section. I now have rims and spokes, so can provide the whole wheel.