Cyclotricity kit versus 8fun kit

D

Deleted member 4366

When the pedal sensor is active, the throttle will over-ride it as soon as you twist it a bit.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
When the pedal sensor is active, the throttle will over-ride it as soon as you twist it a bit.
Ah, I see...... not fitted it yet. Thought i'd see how I got on with just a throttle first.

I also had to file a millimetre or two off a small corner of the inside of the left fork just above the drop outs on the side where the disc bolts are in the motor. I now have a millimetre to spare each side.
Drop outs didn't need filing out, axle & torque washers fitted fine. Also the washers seated in the dimples fine. I shall still probably change the forks sometime though.
Battery bracket needed holes extending to align with bottle cage screws on frame...... Just how secure is this mounting ?? Two small screws going into an ally frame for this battery weight doesn't seem that secure to me.
Thumb throttle fitted fine on left hand side of handlebars.
Main hassle is trying to get the wiring neat & tidy, still not finished it yet.

D

Deleted member 4366

I always put two big cable ties around the fame and battery bracket to stop it from rattling the studs out of the frame. Some have been known to pull out. If you zoom in, you can just see them in this picture. I use 10mm wide ones.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I always put two big cable ties around the fame and battery bracket to stop it from rattling the studs out of the frame. Some have been known to pull out. If you zoom in, you can just see them in this picture. I use 10mm wide ones.

Yep, I think that's the way to go, I shall do that myself.
Biggest I got is 5mm ones, i'll bung them on til I go & buy some heavier duty ones.

Reactions: Cabo

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Finished fitting this kit now. Still got to fit the pedal sensor, but i'll do that if & when I want it. Pretty happy how its turned out. haven't road tested it yet because it keeps chucking it down here in Somerset. Typical.

You can see here how one side of the forks had to be ground down slightly.

001.jpg

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Cant upload the rest of the pics, files are too big.
I'll have to put em in photobucket, then post on here.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Just a note on the total cost..... Carrera Crossfire Hybrid was £250, but online discount was £20 off that weekend. When bike turned up it had a tiny scratch the size of a match head, I haggled a further £40 off because of it. Also got £7 going through Topcashback.
So bike ended up costing £183.
8fun kit including delivery £436

So total cost of this self build ebike..... £619.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Just a note on the total cost..... Carrera Crossfire Hybrid was £250, but online discount was £20 off that weekend. When bike turned up it had a tiny scratch the size of a match head, I haggled a further £40 off because of it. Also got £7 going through Topcashback.
So bike ended up costing £183.
8fun kit including delivery £436

So total cost of this self build ebike..... £619.
Looks good and it worked out £80 cheaper than my build, let us know how it goes when you get out on it, I'm curious to see if its similar to mine.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Well, bearing in mind I don't have anything to compare it to, as its my first ebike..... i'm really impressed with how it rides. Seems to pull really well up the inclines I rode and the combined pedalling while going uphill is effortless. Unassisted on the flat the bike doesn't feel any different to before I had the kit fitted. Doesn't seem to be any drag from the motor (front wheel spins freely) and the extra weight is low down. I would guess the bike is around 20 kilos, certainly not too heavy to stop me carrying up steps for a bridge over railway lines on one of my cycle routes.
As I don't have a cycle computer, not sure of the speed, but it seems fast enough for me at present. On the flat the wind is rushing past you like when you used to cycle unassisted pedalling hard. I'm guessing its 15 mph, but could be a mile or two over.
I really enjoyed riding it and i'm sure it will make me cycle more..... it will also be handy for short trips that are too far for me to walk, but really too near to use my car. My car being a modern diesel with the obligatory DPF..... too many short trips not being good for these motors.
Still unsure yet whether I will fit the pedal sensor. I feel a lot more in control with the thumb throttle, knowing the motor will cut the instant I let go of it. If i'm on the towpath or lanes when people are coming up I just pedal unassisted and its more in control.
Gotta do some longer rides to ascertain battery life yet.
Really happy with it.... should have got an ebike years ago.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
One more thing, front wheel with the motor is running true and spokes are all tight.... but the tyre that came with it seems to wobble as it spins. its also only rated at 50psi max, and it just seems like cheap crap.
When I get around to it, i shall put the Kenda 700x45 on that was originally on the front. They ride really well being dual on/off road, will take 85psi, and they've never punctured in the time I've had them. Basically I feel a lot more confident with them.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
Well, bearing in mind I don't have anything to compare it to, as its my first ebike..... i'm really impressed with how it rides. Seems to pull really well up the inclines I rode and the combined pedalling while going uphill is effortless. Unassisted on the flat the bike doesn't feel any different to before I had the kit fitted. Doesn't seem to be any drag from the motor (front wheel spins freely) and the extra weight is low down. I would guess the bike is around 20 kilos, certainly not too heavy to stop me carrying up steps for a bridge over railway lines on one of my cycle routes.
As I don't have a cycle computer, not sure of the speed, but it seems fast enough for me at present. On the flat the wind is rushing past you like when you used to cycle unassisted pedalling hard. I'm guessing its 15 mph, but could be a mile or two over.
I really enjoyed riding it and i'm sure it will make me cycle more..... it will also be handy for short trips that are too far for me to walk, but really too near to use my car. My car being a modern diesel with the obligatory DPF..... too many short trips not being good for these motors.
Still unsure yet whether I will fit the pedal sensor. I feel a lot more in control with the thumb throttle, knowing the motor will cut the instant I let go of it. If i'm on the towpath or lanes when people are coming up I just pedal unassisted and its more in control.
Gotta do some longer rides to ascertain battery life yet.
Really happy with it.... should have got an ebike years ago.
I know what your saying, I've had my kit for 12 days now and done over 200 miles, I wish I had one of these years ago. My bus fair has gone down from £6 to £4 a day but by riding my bike to work so far I have saved nearly £40.

I've just found a new route to work today, my previous route was the same as the bus I used to take and came to about 10 miles each way with a few smallish hills but now the new route is mostly cycle path and canal path with about 1 mile on the road, it's added another 2 miles to the route but a lot safer and a lot more scenic than the previous. I'm loving my daily commute to work every day now and can actually get there quicker than if I was on the bus with all the morning traffic. I biked to work in and hour without the kit on a couple of weeks ago but now i can cycle 10 miles in 35 minutes making my average go up from 10 mph to approximately 16mph with out a bead of sweat.

All this extra biking and keeping fit has given me a different out look on life now, I do smoke but giving up today so I can do the stoptober and see how I get on.

My kits been fine for all the miles I have done on it so far (touch wood) the only problem I've had so far is a rear puncture when I was about 3.5 miles away from home which I walked. I also have a speedometers fitted and it flickers between 18 and 19 mph on a flat with no head wind and no peddling, I can feel it still assisting me up to about 21mph with peddling but then get nothing more from it, but I think that's just to do with the power of the motor.

I hope you enjoy your new e bike as much as I do mine :D

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I just hope the 8fun kit is reliable, obviously an unknown to me at the moment. Although my kit wont be getting a hard life, as it'll just be used for pleasure and the odd errand but not for commuting.
If its still working fine in 12 months then i'll be 100% satisfied with it...... If the novelty of ebiking hasn't worn off by that time, i'll feel more confident to go out and spend a decent amount on a quality ready made ebike.

ray74

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2013
I just hope the 8fun kit is reliable, obviously an unknown to me at the moment. Although my kit wont be getting a hard life, as it'll just be used for pleasure and the odd errand but not for commuting.
If its still working fine in 12 months then i'll be 100% satisfied with it...... If the novelty of ebiking hasn't worn off by that time, i'll feel more confident to go out and spend a decent amount on a quality ready made ebike.
From what I've heard and read both the 8fun and cyclotricity kit are reliable, I don't think you'll have a problem with it. I'm just in the motions of reviewing other more powerful kits like 1000w, I want to use it for off roading as I know it will e illegal on the roads but the extra power will be great for those cross country biking and will defiantly get me back into mountain biking again.

Adampollitt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2013
Where did you get your 8fun kit from? Been looking into them myself?
Is the kit still meeting your expectations?