daahub kit status?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Frank-

If it is sold as an off-road kit for off-road use then this is not a problem. Very similar to motorcross bikes, some are suitable for on road and others have to be trailered to a track as they are only suitable for off road use.

Thanks
Mark
Thanks Mark, we may not even bring it into the UK unless there is a serious demand.

All the best

David

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi please read rule 6 of the BEBA code of conduct

6. Only market models that meet the current legal requirements

And don't go into the off road thing they will be used on the road

As it should say only to be used on private land with the land owners written permission

Frank

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer

As it should say only to be used on private land with the land owners written permission

Frank
Frank,

We know the rules, as we wrote them ;)

There doesn't appear to be reason for concern as it doesn't look like Wisper will be bringing to the UK.

However, I don't see a problem with kits used for off road purposes, although I imagine anyone bringing something to market for that purpose will most likely have produced a motorcycle!

Thanks
Mark

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Frank
I agree with you 100% Frank. You certainly know your stuff, well done!

Best regards

David

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
David thanks for your reply

fortunately it is not illegal to sell a off road kit or bikes only to use it

Where else in Europe can you sell it where it can be used legally on or off road

Please don't take this as a person attack

You and your company sell a very good product and support your dealers and customers

Frank

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Frank,

We know the rules, as we wrote them ;)

There doesn't appear to be reason for concern as it doesn't look like Wisper will be bringing to the UK.

However, I don't see a problem with kits used for off road purposes, although I imagine anyone bringing something to market for that purpose will most likely have produced a motorcycle!

Thanks
Mark
Totally agree Mark, as you know there are many bikes already on the market in Europe that are specifically designed for off road electric mountain biking. Their appeal isn't gong to be that massive but there certainly is a market. Anyone taking one of these machines onto the public highway as an e-bike under the current regulations would certainly open themselves to possible prosecution.

I wonder of the manufacturers get purchasers to sign a disclaimer?

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
David thanks for your reply

fortunately it is not illegal to sell a off road kit or bikes only to use it

Where else in Europe can you sell it where it can be used legally on or off road

Please don't take this as a person attack

You and your company sell a very good product and support your dealers and customers

Frank
Hey Frank, I dont see this at all as a personal attack, I am delighted you are asking the pertinent questions!

Thanks for your kind comments.

Best regards

David :)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
off road bike

If you are going to supply a real off road kit

Battery to be belt mounted on the rider

The battery need to be capable off fast recharge from ether a bank off 12V lead acid battery via invert or or a dc charger

so we can go to a suitable off road course and Go like stink for 15/20 minutes

then come back and change battery pack

then Cary on we may need 2/3 battery packs

what a fantastic no pollution sport

the BEBA could the arrange meetings all around the country

Frank

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Frank, that is exactly what we are aiming for. We are in the process of sponsoring the first electric all mountain course in New Zealand, the Wisper Track! We believe this could really catch on.

Regards

David

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I think this is a problem that's going to get worse in the coming years. There's already more people who want to ride motocrossers, pit bikes, mini-motos, karts and non-road legal recreational vehicles generally than there are places to ride/drive them. Consequently the kids can and do use them in places that are illegal and just try and do a runner if anyone tries to catch them. They're also *really* noisy and wind everyone up. The end result is just more hassle that results in off road tracks being closed. The previous gov even started talking about compulsory licensing for off road vehicles but that led to the absurdity of MotoGP bikes and F1 cars needing a license plate to race at Silverstone!

The good side of this is that electric versions of these things are much less offensive and that opens up the possibility of urban riding parks. A permanent supercross style track in the middle of Hackney or bicycle days at an indoor kart track would be a proper laugh.

The problem for us is the grey area between something that is obviously illegal for the road and needs the full license/tax/mot etc to ride on the road and a legal E-Bike. It's not that hard to build a full on electric downhill bike that still has pedals and looks vaguely like a bicycle. But then what to do with it? Even then I can't see this becoming a real problem until they're as cheap and plentiful as the typical 1200 quid pit-bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi JBond

I agree this needs to be managed properly.

Powerful kits are going to become available in the not to distant future whether reputable businesses become involved or not. As long as a few companies that really want to keep within the law are in the market I am sure a solution can be found. The last thing any of us want to see is people getting hurt or the special arrangement electric bikes have with the DfT being destroyed.

Properly managed, electric bike sports will do a lot for the whole industry and even if we wanted to I don't think any of us could stop it happening now. Anthony has been on the case for over a year and absolutely loves it, he tells me that even the most seasoned mountain bikers he has managed to persuade to try the Extreem immediately get it.

Regards

David

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
We were simply trying to get the weight of the battery and controller off the bike.
Exactly, but in my case this was so I can carry the Brompton in one hand and the bag in the other, to distribute the weight when multi mode commuting or for stowing it in my office :p

Regards

Jerry

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Exactly, but in my case this was so I can carry the Brompton in one hand and the bag in the other, to distribute the weight when multi mode commuting or for stowing it in my office :p

Regards

Jerry
I see it works well for you Jerry and in your situation I think it is perfect.

I love the connection, it that something you bought locally?

All the best

David

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I love the connection, it that something you bought locally?
Yep from Maplin :eek:

Been good for over a year and 1500 miles now though.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi
year before last at the tour de Presteigne they had races at a go cart track

power only no pedaling and pedal assist Great Fun also a hill climb

Great No Noise

I will post this on the Presteigne link as well

Frank

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Thanks for the weight of the kit. This is very light. When I go mountainbiking on the Ridgway (offroad tracks near where I live) then I carry the ezee lipo battery in a small rucksack on my back and it is brilliant because it keeps the weight off the bike and keeps it lively - your bag idea is a great one.
I weighed the 36v 10Ahr lipo and it's 3.1kg so my kit must be about 7kg all in equivalent to the Daahub.
Personally I love the idea of an off-road kit and thanks for all the updates.

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
Hi David. What is the latest news on Daarack? And secondly what size battery and range will the extreem Daahub have?

Thanks Schoe

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Shoe

DaaRack will be finalised at the same time as DaaHub Extreem. Mid summer for the Autumn shows.

Re DaaHub Extreem, we will be have two battery sizes the existing 351Wh and a larger 432Wh. However after Jerry's comments, We may look at a smaller battery too, the only problem with a smaller battery is that you will lose hill climbing power.

All the best

David