Dahon bike conversion

LukasVys

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have a Dahon folding bike which served me for more than 10 years. Due to my new job, I'm looking to see if I could convert it to E-bike. I have taken some pictures for you to see if It's possible to adapt any kit to it.

I'm not good with kits and etc, but got some DIY friend who will help me with that. It's a 16" wheels.

I have found a few kits on eBay, but they are for 20" so not sure 415974159841599

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A rear motor would be better. How many gears do you have? Do you know if they're freewheel or freehub?

LukasVys

Mar 30, 2021
I got 7 gears.

I have tried to measure the tyre it comes nearly 16", but when I google for the same model it comes as 20" so not sure what I'm doing wrong.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Read the numbers on the tyre and post them here. they give the tyre and rim size, which are the important numbers - not the size in inches, but the metric numbers next to that.

D

Deleted member 33385

Where's this chap gone? It's great to see another Dahon on these forums! Sounds like he's after a hub drive. I wonder if his bottom bracket would be compatible with a Bafang mid-drive? Whatever he chooses, if he wants it to fold compact, that pannier will come in handy for the battery (like on mine):

I converted my Dahon by following this video (I didn't know this forum existed then):

...but his kit isn't UK road legal, and your bottom bracket may or may not be compatible.

Last edited:

LukasVys

Mar 30, 2021
Where's this chap gone? It's great to see another Dahon on these forums! Sounds like he's after a hub drive. I wonder if his bottom bracket would be compatible with a Bafang mid-drive? Whatever he chooses, if he wants it to fold compact, that pannier will come in handy for the battery (like on mine):

View attachment 41622

I converted my Dahon by following this video (I didn't know this forum existed then):

...but his kit isn't UK road legal, and your bottom bracket may or may not be compatible.
Hey it looks like the conversion I'm after. Could you share the links of the conversion kit and how much roughly that cost you?

D

Deleted member 33385

Hey it looks like the conversion I'm after. Could you share the links of the conversion kit and how much roughly that cost you?

You might be better served with a hub drive kit, but pre-Brexit, I paid about £100 less from this seller, and this exact kit (LG cells alledgedly, but I haven't opned the battery to check - will do when warranty expires):

Delivery was 3 working days after dispatch (4 working days) by UPS.

I messaged the seller first to ask if they had anything to send me from a UK warehouse, and luckily he did. Just click the "Ask a question" button:

If you are interested in that kit, you need to know if your bottom bracket is compatible, which might be as easy as finding the specs of your exact bike, or a right royal pain taking bits off to measure.

I think Woosh sells them too, and he seems to have a good preputation on these forums. If I had known of Woosh's existence, I might well have ordered from him - as it's a UK based business. Perhaps ask if they have them in stock? He/they might also be able to advise if your bottom bracket is compatible:

Also there's a more powerful kit quoted on another thread. I don't know anything about the company:

This might be the kit:

The battery looks a bit light for me - I don't like pedalling and use max Pedal Assist at all times, which is why I went with a 19.2ah.

...and my bike still folds lol:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I actually tracked down a buy selling a Bafang converted bike on Gumtree and asked him where he bought his - it was IEBIKE, so I got an honest review of the seller from an actual buyer. But I'm paranoid about parting with £709, wary of having something shipped to me from China... But he had a UK kit, so it was all good.

LukasVys

Mar 30, 2021
Nice mate, thank you very much for that. I will get in touch with him regarding the parts!

D

Deleted member 33385

Nice mate, thank you very much for that. I will get in touch with him regarding the parts!
If you buy from UK Woosh or Brighton Bikes, warranty repairs may be much easier - IEBIKE suggested that I might have to send anything faulty to be inspected/repaired to the EU. Bloody hope that never has to happen!

D

Deleted member 33385

Check your bottom bracket first? I didn't. If it wasn't compatible, I was ready to put it on a mountain bike.

D

Deleted member 33385

Also budget in another £100 or so for tools, hi viz gear, BMX helmet, knee, back and elbow pads and bike accessories - especially on an old bike, the unexpected can crop up. For instance, taking out my bottom bracket was a nightmare:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Also budget in another £100 or so for tools, hi viz gear, BMX helmet, knee, back and elbow pads and bike accessories - especially on an old bike, the unexpected can crop up. For instance, taking out my bottom bracket was a nightmare:

and the gear sensor, brake sensors, Lekkie chainwheel, new chain and more.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

and the gear sensor, brake sensors, Lekkie chainwheel, new chain and more.

Yes the gear sensor is well worth it - mine works flawlessly. I also got a new chain, rear cassette, and the programming cable. Luckily, all of my gears work well without a Leckie. I would get a leckiewheel (simply because it looks well made) if it had a chainguard. I can't stand oil on my trousers.