Dahon Boardwalk folder with Q100 290 rpm test ride

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Just to follow up on my post on here asking about fork caster/trail, I've now finished it and given it a short test ride.

I think it was Dave that said the curved forks would make very little difference to the handling, and I'm delighted to say he's dead right. :)

It's still very sharp and positive, but not twitchy, which I was afraid of. I can still steer one handed when adjusting the assist level etc..

I have to say I'm very pleased with it, and quite surprised with how good it is. That little q100 front wheel motor certainly packs a punch, even at 36 volts. The difference that the 290rpm makes is really noticeable, comparing the performance with other 20" wheel bikes I've had, that were presumably lower rpm.

I tried it for a couple of miles with my Garmin GPS watch and the speed graph is shown below, max speed 17.7mph and average 13.5mph. The only issue is that my old simple ku65 controller and 790 display seems to just give one level of assist (max), no matter what setting I use.

I may treat it to a new BMS SO6S sinewave controller and 5 level PAS panel. That would give me throttle startiup as well.

The new wider (100mm dropout) forks don't affect the folding at all, and are about the same weight, so the bike is still compact and light when the battery is removed.

I put the controller in a Maplin alluminium box like on my Giant Trance, to tidy the leads and increase the effective heatsink area. The 36v 10ah battery is in the pannier again, secured with an internal velcro strap.

So it started out as a "use up my spare parts" project, but it may well be my most useful ebike !!

dahon boardwalk q100 left rear.jpg dahon boardwalk q100 right rear.jpg dahon boardwalk q100 side 2.jpg dahon boardwalk q100 side.jpg dahon q100 290rpm gps test ride.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

Very neat. Now you want to try it with 12S lipos, which bring the motor alive. A it of solder on the shunt adds to the flavour.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Very neat. Now you want to try it with 12S lipos, which bring the motor alive. A it of solder on the shunt adds to the flavour.
"Brings the motor alive" ? wow... it's pretty nifty now, even on the 36v.

I've just resurrected my old thread on rewiring the fly leads on that old KU65 controller, trying to discover if I've mis-wired it to prevent the 3 pas levels being switchable.

D

Deleted member 4366

The KU65 has the LED panel to select the PASlevels. The green wire from it gives 1v for lvel 1, 2v for level 2, 3v for level 3 and 4v for 6km/hr.