Dahon Jetstream conversion

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Because battery container have high volumetric size, and shipping cost would be few times higher than the cost of the box. It's the same as importing rim from china. It takes a lot of space so shipping is very expensive on these items

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Last edited:

alexfoo

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2013
dear cwah :
this freewheel hub can only use the motor with cassette set, PM me for detail :D

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cyclezee

A 7 speed free-wheel will be better if you can get one. The Dahon frame is very stiff, and takes a bit of levering to get the 7 speed in. An 8 speed might be too wide.
I have fitted an 8 speed DNP to a Jetstream without too much difficulty, please note we include a spacer washer so that it spins freely without contacting the frame.

C

Cyclezee

It would be to ship to london. Postcode SE15.

Do you have any empty battery box with mounting plate?l
In that case, a 7 speed DNP 11/32t would be £31 inc. del.

Incidentally cwah, it's not a good idea to let everybody know your postcode, you are literally a stones throw from where my daughter lives and the crime figures are quite high, 40 bicycle thefts recorded there in October alone.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Shemozzle I've seen these batteries and they are not bad, but capacity is way too low for me. I can't spend hundred of pounds to get 2 of them and it wouldn't even look nice with 2 on my bike.

Dave, nice spot for your link I'm going to maybe buy one like others.

John, I need to buy few freewheels and it all adds up so for this one I think I'm going through Paul as even with shipping cost included it's 50% cheaper.

Jhruk, this one doesn't look nice and price is close to the CA. I'd prefer to get a CA rather than this one.

D

Deleted member 4366

The BMSB caliper is side-mount, so will only work (easily) with a 140mm disc. Any disc brake with screws that go through from the top will be OK with the normal side-mount adapter.

That LCD looks like a nice product. I don't know why Cycle Analyst doesn't make a cheaper simple version like that. The Speed sensor is on the back, so it'll need a spacer to get it close enough to the magnet. Why don't they include one. Everybody will ask, like they did with the Speedict.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
D8veh, I ordered a 180mm disc brake from BMSBattery, I suppose I can't install it? I need to find a 140mm disc brake?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
My temporary setup until I have the freewheel, battery holder, wattmeter, light:

My Zippy compact 72V12AH is in my backpack. I'm impressed by these lipo because they have very low sag compared to my Sony V3 cells. It allows me to go over 30mph really quickly.

Acceleration is good, almost as good as my brompton. I put 2500W on this BPM :cool: The BPM does feel a little bit weaker than the mac, if I accelerate too hard, the gears can get stuck so I have to do it lighter. But it's still definitely good as it's 2 times cheaper than the Mac.

Handling is cool with the Jetstream, maybe because battery is in the backpack... It feels really nimble and sharp, control is much better than the brompton. Suspension makes it better through bad surface. I definitely like this bike.

As con, the bike tend to wheelie, much more than my brompton (even though my brompton accelerate faster). Control is difficult with the throttle. I probably need a magura throttle or something like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: hech
D

Deleted member 4366

I think I've just figured out why John was able to fit an 8 speed free-wheel, and i struggled with a 7 speed. I bet he didn't fit a disc brake. You need an extra couple of washers to line up the caliper and get the disc away from the frame.

Have you fitted a torque arm yet?I think you need one with 2500w.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes I did!!

Torque arm + 1 anti-rotation washer on the chain side:

Double anti-rotation washer on the other side:

It should be quite heavy duty now :)

I purchased this 180mm disc from BMSBattery:
One Bicycle Disc Brake - BMSBATTERY

What shall I do? Do I have to buy specifically a 140mm disc brake? And the Avid BB brakes I can bid on both of them?

D

Deleted member 4366

That's not the best way to install the torque arm because it can slip. Do it like in the photo below.You only need to use the bit of the torque arm that goes on the axle. Make the other piece out of a strip of steel with two holes drilled in it the right distance apart. You can use the other piece of the torque arm and just drill the extra hole for the disc caliper screw, but it's very hard steel. You need a cobalt drill to drill it.

P.S. I thought you wanted your bike to wheely!

Last edited by a moderator:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes, your set up is way stronger than mine. I'm going to follow your one and drill a hole on my torque arm. I'm going to get this drill bit set for that:
13pc HSS Cobalt Drill Bit Set in Case. for Metal, Wood, Plastic, drill bits BN | eBay

And yes I want to wheelie, but only when I want to, not on every starts!! Starting on slope is difficult now lol

What should I do with BMSBattery 180mm disc brake? I need to find a 140mm one?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
d8veh's arm is mounted on the opposite side to cwah's - neither should slip.
PS do you mean 160mm instead of 140?

C

Cyclezee

John, I need to buy few freewheels and it all adds up so for this one I think I'm going through Paul as even with shipping cost included it's 50% cheaper.
Hi cwah,

If you can get them for £15.50 including delivery and VAT, by all means go for it, but I am just a bit sceptical. I can't get them for anywhere near that price, so there is no point in me trying to sell them.