Dalston fatal e-bike crash rider 'going too fast' - Court Case

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I like you had a very similar situation many years ago on a motorbike as well when a pedestrian just stepped out, however like you stayed at the scene. This guy didn't so deserves all he gets add to that his bike was illegal as well.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
It’s funny how this is getting so much attention isn’t it?
If one cast ones attention to cars we all drive motor cars/motorcycle which can exceed the speed limit? Not one has a limited at 70MPH do they?

Registration/tax/mot all on its way for us all.
Remember follow the money which one usually arrives at the answer why?

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh and flecc

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Another sad aspect of her death no doubt is she never heard him coming. How many of us have stepped out in front of a cyclist, an electric car?
I know I have on two occasions so more than likely a noise sounder will have to be fitted to comply with the mot

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
If one cast ones attention to cars we all drive motor cars/motorcycle which can exceed the speed limit? Not one has a limited at 70MPH do they?

Actually mopeds and some motorcycles are restricted to certain power output and licencing restrictions, as for registration/tax/mot on its way that will be down to idiots like this and all the other fools who think it is ok to use dongles etc and de-restrict their bikes and openly brag about it.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Actually mopeds and some motorcycles are restricted to certain power output and licencing restrictions, as for registration/tax/mot on its way that will be down to idiots like this and all the other fools who think it is ok to use dongles etc and de-restrict their bikes and openly brag about it.
Road pricing is the likely way forward, especially when Internal combustion engines are no longer the majority form of propulsion. Governments will no longer receive petrol tax & will not want to restrict the take up of electric motors by taxing them, so a road usage tax will be proposed as the fairest solution. ICE users will face a double tax to incentivise then to switch & the government retains a lucrative revenue steam.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I've disagreed since you've grasped the wrong end of the stick.

The key difference is that car drivers are tested for their competence, then licenced and insured and are thereafter identifiable and traceable from their number plates.

Pedelec riders are not, similar has been tried and failed.

Registration/tax/mot are highly unlikely to be applied to pedelecs, but if too many offenders breaching the pedelec rules come to light, they'll just be made examples of with eye watering fines and machines confiscated and crushed. The law already allows the latter.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and Amoto65
D

Deleted member 25121

I think there are many more people sticking to the 20mph limit in areas where there are many pedestrians than there are sticking to the 70mph limit on motorways, I certainly do.

I think it's reasonable to criticise those exceeding 20mph limits when there are many pedestrians around but not be critical of those exceeding the 70mph limits.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sjpt and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Road pricing is the likely way forward, especially when Internal combustion engines are no longer the majority form of propulsion. Governments will no longer receive petrol tax & will not want to restrict the take up of electric motors by taxing them, so a road usage tax will be proposed as the fairest solution. ICE users will face a double tax to incentivise then to switch & the government retains a lucrative revenue steam.
We already have similar in London, the £11.50 a day congestion charge zone for cars (but free for electric ones at present) and the additional £12.50 a day for the more polluting of the ic cars in an ever expanding low pollution zone. £24 a day really is mind concentrating taxation!

However I disagree on pedelecs, London and national policy is to encourage their free use to discourage car driving, so I see no prospect ever of charging them or bicycles in any way.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
We already have similar in London, the £11.50 a day congestion charge zone for cars (but free for electric ones at present) and the additional £12.50 a day for the more polluting of the ic cars in an ever expanding low pollution zone. £24 a day really is mind concentrating taxation!

However I disagree on pedelecs, London and national policy is to encourage their free use to discourage car driving, so I see no prospect ever of charging them or bicycles in any way.
I must admit I was only thinking about electric cars - I forgot about pedelecs as a source of taxation - too small in numbers (at present!)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I forgot about pedelecs as a source of taxation - too small in numbers (at present!)
They'll never be taxed now.

We used to tax power assisted bikes from the 1920s through into the 1970s and at one time in the 1950s they reached over a million on British roads. But then we gave it up and made them free of bureacracy and taxation.

Similarly in a part of our country, Guernsey, ordinary bicycles were once road taxed, but eventually that was given up as not worth bothering with.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I think there are many more people sticking to the 20mph limit in areas where there are many pedestrians than there are sticking to the 70mph limit on motorways, I certainly do.

I think it's reasonable to criticise those exceeding 20mph limits when there are many pedestrians around but not be critical of those exceeding the 70mph limits.
I totally agree with you. 20 mph is usually for an extra special reason. When driving in places like this I think to myself “ my grandchildren could be playing near this road”.
Having said that though, on my last trip to Spain a large area of the town had a speed limit of 20kph. This was quite difficult not to exceed and necessitated looking at the speedometer as much as the road.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: ebiker99 and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having said that though, on my last trip to Spain a large area of the town had a speed limit of 20kph. This was quite difficult not to exceed and necessitated looking at the speedometer as much as the road.
This is one of the things I love my Nissan Leaf for. Its electric drive with no gears enables incredibly precise control at any speed. Even at ultra slow speeds below clutch slipping level in first gear it can be perfectly maintained at any exact speed with ease.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongles will be software updates that you pay for in the next 15 years when cars drive them self the only way to go faster will be to pay for it.

you wont even own the car it will be a service that you pay for and the only way to activate the performance options ect is to pay for them to be activated on a online active account.

or some one hacks the system and this happens. :D

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I totally agree with you. 20 mph is usually for an extra special reason. When driving in places like this I think to myself “ my grandchildren could be playing near this road”.
Everywhere in France there are 30kph (18.75mph) limits near schools but increasingly smaller villages now have the 30kph limit throughout.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
This was quite difficult not to exceed and necessitated looking at the speedometer as much as the road.
Keeping to speed limits (esp 20 and 30mph) is our main use of cruise control; even as a careful (I try/hope) driver, without it it is just so easy to nudge above the limit, and then a bit more, and ... It seems quite rare the 'open' road is open enough for sensible use of cruise control.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Keeping to speed limits (esp 20 and 30mph) is our main use of cruise control; even as a careful (I try/hope) driver, without it it is just so easy to nudge above the limit, and then a bit more, and ... It seems quite rare the 'open' road is open enough for sensible use of cruise control.
Indeed. On motoring fora I have seen plenty of people with cruise control say they never use it and don't see the point, or that they only use it on the motorway to keep at the speed of the car in front (radar cruise control) or stay at a constant speed. Yet one of its most useful features is the ability to stay accurately within the speed limit without constantly looking at the speedo in 30 or 40 limit areas. The only anomaly is that at least in my car it doesn't come on below 25mph so is of no practical benefit in 20 zones which are becoming commonplace across our cities (and I think rightly so for the safety of cyclists and pedestrians).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Merc vans at work have speed limiter, min setting is 20mph and the van will not go above. The company use telematics to record all speeding and drivers are called to book for any contextual over speed. I predominantly drive with limiter all the time except on dual carriageways where I use the cruise control. In town and villages the limiter is god send for maintaining the limit without having to keep your eye on the speedo constantly.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On motoring fora I have seen plenty of people with cruise control say they never use it - - - - - Yet one of its most useful features is the ability to stay accurately within the speed limit without constantly looking at the speedo in 30 or 40 limit areas.
Much depends on traffic density though. My cruise control can operate from 20 mph and my South London Borough, one of London's largest, has a blanket 20 mph limit on all but the through routes. Yet my cruise control is of no use, simply because the traffic density and road conditions mean speed is constantly varying from slow walking pace up to 30 and briefly 40 mph infrequently.

My car as well as its own computers has two user computers and I leave one of mine recording four things all the time, only occasionally zeroing it. The four things are driving time, distance driven, average speed and consumption in miles per kWh (it's electric).

Whenever I bother to look my average speed is at or below 15 mph! You might think from this that I spend all my time in my South London borough, but in fact most of my routine mileage is beyond the boundary in North East Surrey where the limit is mostly 30 mph. However, the road conditions and traffic density are such that even there I'm often down to well below 20 and even down to walking pace at times.

The only times I'm ever able to use the cruise control sensibly is on longer runs with dual carriageways, motorways mainly.

D

Deleted member 25121

My car came with a speed limiter as do many new models, no doubt getting ready for mandatory use in the near future.
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/mandatory-speed-limiters/
I find it much more useful than cruise control particularly for the 20 mph limits.
Dave.
I find speed limiters to be rather restrictive because I appreciate the ability to accelerate quickly to avoid danger should the (very seldom) need arise, they've been around for decades.

Basic cruise controls are OK on quiet motorways but often they interfere when you want to moderate your speed depending on surrounding traffic whose speed varies a little. You can normally spot cars running on their cruise controls, they are doing 70 +/-0 mph in the outside lanes of motorways when the middle lane is empty.

I do like adaptive cruise controls though, these are the ones that use a radar device at the front of the car to measure the distance to the vehicle in front. They are great when there are prolonged speed restrictions on motorways where you just want to cruise along in a lane that's doing a sensible legal speed however if they suddenly sense a vehicle pulling out in front of you they can sometimes panic and brake the car excessively which causes problems for vehicles behind you. I've seen this with several recent high end German cars.

• Agree