Dangerous twist throttle

Les686

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2010
Hi folks,

I am very inexperienced around here. I tried to post this yesterday on the forum but it ended in "Blogs" so I am still looking for help......

Hi folks,

I almost had an accident from absent mindedly turning a switched on twist throttle. I need to fit an on-off switch but I am afraid of what I will find if I cut the cable. Will it be as simple as two wires, one black and one red maybe? I could probably handle that ok. Or will it be something more complicated? With my luck it will be twenty seven identical wires leading to heaven knows where. I would be really grateful for any pointers on this before I start chopping. Does anyone know if thumb controllers have universal plugs? And does anyone know of a really cheap uk one?

Many, many thanks (in advance)

Les. .

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
might help if you say what bike you are talking about...

I would not get involved with altering anything, you just need to pay more attention and maybe not turn on key until ready to go...

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Most have Hall effect throttles having three wires. Red and black are the usual positive and negative wires, the third colour the signal feed to the controller.

If it's a three wire one, you put the on/off switch in the red wire, cutting the positive 5 volt feed. Obviously don't forget to remove the battery from the bike before doing this.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Did you twist the throttle when you were stood next to it and the bike tried to take off?
It happens and you get careful, hopefully I won't do it a third time. :)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Do you have brake levers with motor cutoff?

If so you can easily splice a switch into the two wires if you have a bit of DIY skill...

Les686

Oct 22, 2010
Hi flecc

Thank you so much for that. You have made it very clear. I have not seen a battery like this one before. It has the controller built into it. Is it ok if I simply unplug the throttle from the battery/controller and then start cutting?

Again my thanks,

les686.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Again.....you will get more accurate advice if tell what bike you own

Les686

Oct 22, 2010
Hello Eddieo,

I have a tricycle fitted with a Conv-e conversion kit by the supplier. I have had a stroke and it seems like a good way to get around. It is very new and has a few teething problems that I need to cure. You mention the key. If the kit had a key there would be no problem and I would not need to fit an on/off switch. The on button is built into the battery which because of the design of the trike is mounted right at the back. Once I have turned it on and I am sitting on the trike I can not turn it off unless I stop, get off, go round and do it.

That is the situation. Now, when I pull the right hand brake lever on, the heel of my hand, which is resting on the throttle turns it a little as I tighten my grip. You can imagine what happens next!

les686

alfazzr

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
When you pull the righthand breake lever it should cut power to the throttle - it has to, I believe, to be legal for an e-bike (someone will correct me if I am wrong) but I have no idea if this is the same on a trike - although I do not see why it shouldn't be.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hello Eddieo,

I have a tricycle fitted with a Conv-e conversion kit by the supplier. I have had a stroke and it seems like a good way to get around. It is very new and has a few teething problems that I need to cure. You mention the key. If the kit had a key there would be no problem and I would not need to fit an on/off switch. The on button is built into the battery which because of the design of the trike is mounted right at the back. Once I have turned it on and I am sitting on the trike I can not turn it off unless I stop, get off, go round and do it.

That is the situation. Now, when I pull the right hand brake lever on, the heel of my hand, which is resting on the throttle turns it a little as I tighten my grip. You can imagine what happens next!

les686
Les, it happens to all of us! You do get used to it I can assure you..but maybe a convenient switch a good way to go for you. You need to post pics of your bike we love pics!lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi flecc

Thank you so much for that. You have made it very clear. I have not seen a battery like this one before. It has the controller built into it. Is it ok if I simply unplug the throttle from the battery/controller and then start cutting?

Yes that would be ok

Again my thanks,

les686.
Yes, that will be ok Les, its just to remove power from where you are working.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
When you pull the righthand breake lever it should cut power to the throttle - it has to, I believe, to be legal for an e-bike (someone will correct me if I am wrong) but I have no idea if this is the same on a trike - although I do not see why it shouldn't be.
There's no legal requirement in the UK at the moment and usually they aren't essential. My brake cutouts are broken at the moment and whilst I do want them fixed I'm in no hurry.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi Les686,

I know the conv-e conversion kit very well. If you contact conv-e or your local dealer, I'm sure they would happily swap you the twist throttle for a thumb throttle if you were worried about, or do not get on with the twist throttle. Speak to you local dealer or Keith at conv-e on 01761 453198 and they can swap it over for you.

Kind Regards

FrankC

Les686

Oct 22, 2010
Hello alfazzr,

When I bought the tricycle it was not motorised and so it simply has ordinary brakes - no power to be cut. Can you buy power cutting brakes? What would you call them? I am building a luggage box to go on the back so I can go out and buy stuff. When I have finished and I am up and running I will post some pics.

les686.