Dawes Sonoran conversion - complete novice at ebikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fed ex usually send an invoice for duty a few weeks after delivery expect 25/30 quid.
Wheel building isn't too hard, just requires patience and bit of you tube watching and a read of Sheldon Brown.

This Asian you tube vid is good and shows how to lace a rim up.

LBS maybe 50 quid ? you will have to ask.
Spokes will be shorter so new ones needed.

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
Spokes will be shorter so new ones needed.
If I need to buy spokes and perhaps a new rim so I'm not out of action for weeks I'm probably getting towards the difference - if I pay a LBS to do it even more so - perhaps I just need to suck it up.

The initial shock of seeing the shipping cost relative to the parts has got me comparing what you can get on ebay -

£200 gets a very basic rear wheel set up e.g.
"36V350W 28" (700c) Rear Motor with Cassette E-bike Hub Motor Conversion kit"

£270 (say £300 with duty) gets the Q100C motor, at Torque Sim sine-wave controller, better LCD, easy fit PAS

Would you say its worth the extra ?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You always get what you pay for...

D

Deleted member 4366

The difference in cost comes down to a 1kg weight saving on the motor. The German Ebay supplier elifeshop-2012 has a heavier cassette motor with the KT controller and LCD for £200 no duty.

point5clue

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2017
UK
I've taken the plunge and ordered an Q100C/S06S/S-LCD6 setup. Had a quote from my LBS of £90 for a wheel build so decided the price of a pre-built wheel plus shipping vs bar hub motor was acceptable.

Is there a manual/post on line that explains how to set/program the S06S controller ?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I've taken the plunge and ordered an Q100C/S06S/S-LCD6 setup. Had a quote from my LBS of £90 for a wheel build so decided the price of a pre-built wheel plus shipping vs bar hub motor was acceptable.

Is there a manual/post on line that explains how to set/program the S06S controller ?
Basically it should just plug in and work out of the box. You need to set the wheel size, units (km or miles) and the cut off speed (all of mine have been set to 72 km/h). There is usually no need to go into the deeper setting level. If there is ask your questions here and we will walk you through. The first time I went into the P settings was to change the brightness of the LCD with the lights on, it was to strong for the dark country roads I ride.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, it's at the bottom of the page of the S-LCD3 listing. There might be a specific one for the LCD6 too.