Daytime flashing front light: good or bad idea?

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
People should Google before grumbling, sorry if it takes the joy out of grumbling.

"The frequency or speed of flashing light that is most likely to cause seizures varies from person to person. Generally, flashing lights most likely to trigger seizures are between the frequency of 5 to 30 flashes per second (Hertz). The likelihood of such conditions combining to trigger a seizure is small."

So no problem!

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I always just relied on the wired in manufacturers front and rear lights on my ebikes. On most, though the front is a bit pathetic, so I then supplemented the fitted lights with battery operated front and rear, until I got fed up shelling out for batteries. I have recently opted for a USB rechargeable set of Lezyne lights front and rear which are amazing. In fact there are probably too many options - 9 for the front light, and 11 for the rear (inc 6 flashing options!!). Max front output is 600 lumens. I am convinced that the flashing front options greatly enhance visibility even in daytime and happily use them although I do keep them angled down to avoid dazzling oncoming motorists. The use of the front light on max 600 lumens steady illumination tends to be self limiting due to current useage. For daylight riding 400 lumens properly adjusted flashing at the front seems a good compromise.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
My 10pence worth
I ride with a daytime flashing light and on my travels I see many other cyclists with lights, as i approach them some are dim and only noticeable when they are really close while occasionally some are so bright they glare and obscure the surrounding area. The most noticeable lights (without being a hazard) are the bright flashing type.
if you’re interested in how effective your light are rather Than looking at them close up, try propping you bike up and walking a few hundred feet away so you can see how a fellow road user sees them.
DRL (daytime running lights) are a good idea that’s why they are a legal requirement on all modern cars, so why shouldn’t we be using them on our bikes ?

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
My 10pence worth
I ride with a daytime flashing light and on my travels I see many other cyclists with lights, as i approach them some are dim and only noticeable when they are really close while occasionally some are so bright they glare and obscure the surrounding area. The most noticeable lights (without being a hazard) are the bright flashing type.
if you’re interested in how effective your light are rather Than looking at them close up, try propping you bike up and walking a few hundred feet away so you can see how a fellow road user sees them.
DRL (daytime running lights) are a good idea that’s why they are a legal requirement on all modern cars, so why shouldn’t we be using them on our bikes ?
Wow! you are expensive, Gringo! Up North, it was always two penn'orth! . Inflation, I suppose!

• :D
Reactions: flecc

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Just my experiences
I experimented over two years whilst travelling along 10 miles of single track country road. I just could not believe that oncoming motorists could not see me, as 90%+ just kept coming & forcing me to give way.
I tried a single solid light, then flashing before settling on using small flashing lights on the back of mirrors affixed to the edges of the handlebars.
Result now All vehicles now either slow down or stop.
I do not like the flashing headlights of other cyclists as they are too bright.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
We use the o/e Volt LED front light which is rather good even aimed a little low and not flashing and Giant LED rear lights on our helmets which seem to really work well as they don't need to be flashing due to the movements of our heads.
Following my wife, as I usually do the light is proper impressive and I can see her getting a considerate wide berth from 95% of traffic of all sizes.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
As a result I missed the curve on a country lane as it suddnly jumped out of nowhere at me resulting in me falling into the some bushes laughing away.
Been there done that - on a tandem.
Fence came up a bit quick in the dark, so I put the brakes on. Proudly stopped in time - YESSS!
Neither of us took our feet out of the clips.
Both of us keeled over laughing like drains on the floor. Fun times. :cool:

Lights would have helped. ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As mostly a driver these days I'm in favour of daytime flashing lights on bikes, front and rear.

The only objectionable bike lights are the very powerful LED ones aimed in a full headlight position in night use, dazzling drivers. They place the cyclist at risk by momentarily blinding drivers.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Sometimes I put my front light on flash in the daytime if the weather is a bit grim. No guarantee motorists will see you though...despite the light and high viz etc, etc. Basically, a lot of them just don't look for anything other than another car.

At night I prefer a solid beam. One thing I find is that on roundabouts or passing junctions a lot of drivers see the flashing light, think, "oh just a cyclist" and pull out, completely underestimating my speed, forcing me to brake. A bright solid beam could be a motorbike for all the driver can tell at a distance (with main beam spot focussed on the ground about 15 yards ahead of me, so as not to dazzle).

Reactions: jarob10

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
As mostly a driver these days I'm in favour of daytime flashing lights on bikes, front and rear.

The only objectionable bike lights are the very powerful LED ones aimed in a full headlight position in night use, dazzling drivers. They place the cyclist at risk by momentarily blinding drivers.
A big part of the problem is that there are very few BS or EN certified lights on the market, and even fewer decent ones.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A big part of the problem is that there are very few BS or EN certified lights on the market, and even fewer decent ones.
In daylight I don't really care, so long as every cyclist is easily visible to every driver. Fortunately very few are night time dazzlers.

Reactions: TedG

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Speaking as a driver, daytime flashing lights are an attention grabber, at distance, giving me time to adjust, especially if the numpty on the bike is dressed in dark clothes. (Why is it so many mamils dress in dark stuff?)
I ride country lanes so, in the dark it's solid front lights only. I do use a rear flasher in addition to a solid rear.
Driving at night in Cardiff a while ago (usual amber lighting) was well impressed by by how flashing fronts attracted my attention.

Surely epilepsy will only be triggered by high intensity flash in otherwise dark envirioment, don't see daylight flashers as a problem here.

Going out now into sunny but misty conditions - there will be flashing !:eek:

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
As we are discussing front lights, any recommendations for a cheap front light - I am not interested in a mini searchlight.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
As we are discussing front lights, any recommendations for a cheap front light - I am not interested in a mini searchlight.
I've tried more pricey lights but they eventually stop working , get damaged or are in danger of getting nicked but last year got these cheapo lights which actually work really well for me: decent brightness (but not too much) and so far hold their USB charge quite well. Less than a tenner!

Last edited:

IanHurley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2020
For me its flashing lights front and rear, the small cheap rechargable ones for about £10. They last ages and are not too bright but show the bikes position well at some distance. After many years as a motorcyclist and not being seen with a headlamp on all the time I don't want to hear the phrase "Sorry I didn't see you" again. At night I'll probably use the standard lights but in daytime its the flashers for me. Oh - if someone is susceptable to an epileptic fit due to a small flashing light then watch out for indicators, emergency vehicles breakdown vehicles etc as they have a much bigger output

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Sounds perfect except for the delivery - see if I can find a UK seller.

This seems the same https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ascher-Rechargeable-LED-Bike-Lights/dp/B07JZQRX1Q/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=coukou&qid=1606488891&sr=8-17 Roughly how long doe a charge last?
Well , I only use my bike one night a week during the dark winter nights but I found picking it up after the summer, for first use it still has juice in it and I probably needed to recharge about a couple of times over the winter.
But that is my fairly limited use. Hard to say what someone else's experience might be.
It's actually handy as a useful general torch around the house , if nothing else.

mountaindweller

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2019
I highly recommend the Supernova m99 pro e-45 2021 which has a automotive high beam and ECE approved low beam with day time running lights , not cheap , but super bright light at 1600 lumen

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I've tried more pricey lights but they eventually stop working , get damaged or are in danger of getting nicked but last year got these cheapo lights...
I've yet to try a 'cheapo light' that lasted. They put crap batteries in them.
Don't waste your money unless you can match them up with a decent battery pack (in which case they sometimes can be pretty good)

I've still got some initially expensive Lezyne and Blackburn lights that are still going strong after years and years of constant use.

If you don't want them nicked. Don't leave them on the bike.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Now that the days are becoming increasingly dark, I decided to start using a powerful flashing front light. Today an old guy in a parked car, as I approched, shouted "that front light is ridiculous!" The tone of his voice was that he thought it a bad thing. But is it?
Er .... I think the question should be ... should we care about anything some miserable old git in a parked car shouts out?
;-)