Dead Battery with Controller

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Bought this 4 years ago. It's dead. Though I'd have it Recelled, ....£450 -to £550. A bit much . I presume thats the Controller on the Bike. The Firm I bought it from doesn't seem to do them any more. Any ideas where I could buy one?

Attachments

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
Bought this 4 years ago. It's dead. Though I'd have it Recelled, ....£450 -to £550. A bit much . I presume thats the Controller on the Bike. The Firm I bought it from doesn't seem to do them any more. Any ideas where I could buy one?
Look same as Yose. Power battery with lishui built in control, seen on eBay.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have you taken any voltage readings for the battery ?
Have you check the controller supply wires from the battery for voltage ?
Also you need to take some mosfet resistance readings to confirm it is or isn't well.

All the above are fairly simple to do with a metre though if the connectors are waterproof type then it's a bit more tricky but can all still be done.
One needs to find out where the fault lies other wise you can keep replacing stuff for no reason.

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Not to sure how to work these Multi meters but here goes....on the battery I'm getting 41,9 - 42. When I'm out on the Bike, starting off it shows3/4 battery full. After 200 meters it goes altogether, Screen Blank. When I Charge it , Charger shows Red but after a few moments , Green. Lights on Battery show Full

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Measure the battery voltage as soon as you take it off the charger. Measure it again at the start of your ride and again immediately after it cuts out. Take the meter with you when you ride the bike.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
42v at start, Indicator 3/4 full, rises to Full when cycling, drops back to 3/4, More cycling against heavy Winds. Blank, no power. Measure 41.1v. Charger takes 15 minutes to go Red to Green. Measure 41.6v

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pointless charging from 41.1 up to full again as there is little to charge so 15 mins is about right. The issue is likely in the controller and may be a voltage regulator or capacitor at fault, likely needs a new controller. The component isn't seeing the correct voltage so is shutting the system down.
My old Oxydrive controller did this when it was playing up, two fully charged batteries and the system would shut down, changed the integrated controller to a new exterior box controller and all was well again.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Integrated usually means it is in the base of the battery receiver.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Show us some pictures of your bike from different angles so that we can see what you have. As always, the photos you showed give very little useful info.

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Think that would be a bit beyond me. This bike came with a Down Seat 24v Battery & Controller. . I live in a hilly area so I bought a 36v Battery with inbuilt controller. It wouldn't fit down the back of the seat so I fixed it to the Bike elsewhere. My Wife has 2 x 36V Down Seat Batteries but I would need a controller. My old 24v Controller has only 5 connections but when I look on line, the Controllers have about 10 connections. Am i missing something?

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You bike has a simple problem that's easy to fix. The only problem is that you're not describing what's going on, so it's not possible to tell you where to check. You started off saying that it was dead, then you talked about riding 200M. Also, I asked you to show pictures of your bike from different angles, so you showed two pictures from the same angle and another of a controller that you're not using.

If you want help, you need to cooperate.

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Sorry, I'll start afresh. This bike came with a 24v .Back of Seat Battery & Controller which I soon found out was not much use. I bought a 36V Battery with integrated Controller which would not fit down the back of Seat so I fitted it to the Frame. The 36v Battery showed 42v before it goes on the Bike. When switched on it shows 3/4 full on the Monitor. After riding 20 yds. it goes to full but drops back quickly to 3/4. After about 1 km. it goes Blank, no Power. It Measures 412.1v. I have 2 Back of seat 36v. Batteries which will fit but I need a 36v. Controller with them.
1This is the Original bike with 24v. Battery.
2. This is the Setup now, 36v.
3. Battery switched on.
4. Where I am thinking of putting a 36v. Controller if I cannot get the Existing one working.
Thanks for sticking with it, i'm 75 and lost without it.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I still don't quite get it. When you start off, does the motor work and does it give full power? Does it work with the pedal sensor? Does it work with the throttle? Do you have a throttle?

Still no picture of what's on your handlebars, where the control system is.

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
There is plenty of Power, till it just cuts out. Yes, Throttle. Before when it went Blank I would let go of the Throttle and it would come back to life, but for a short while. PAS broken so always Throtle

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'll try and get the info i need a different way. Using about half throttle so that the motor is continuously pulling, but not with too much power. Look at the LCD and tell me how many watts it's showing like that before the motor cuts out, or better still, lift the wheel off the ground and run it up to full speed, then tell me how many watts are showing on the meter like that. better still, do both. The result should be two numbers of watts.

What does the battery indicator show when you're running with power. Does it hold firm or go right down to 1 bar before cutting off?

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
With the wheel off the Ground I get about 60/21kmh. At 10kmh I get 20.
Battery shows 3/4 then goes Blank. Tried cycling this Morning, Didn't last as long as Yesterday

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
With the wheel off the Ground I get about 60/21kmh. At 10kmh I get 20.
Battery shows 3/4 then goes Blank. Tried cycling this Morning, Didn't last as long as Yesterday
What happens is that the motor draws a higher current (and watts) while it accellerates up to speed, then it settles down when it gets there. I need the watts when it's running at constant high speed. Your 60 seems a bit high, but it's not clear at what point you took it.

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Hello, I have made a video .mv4 and .mp4 but it seems to be the wrong format.
Looks like a high of 191 The 60 is where it is running normal so between 50 & 60

Last edited: