Death by ebike battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's very narrow minded of some people to dismiss technologies because they provide no benefit to themselves. It's like saying that ebikes are useless because I can't use one to get from London to Manchester in 5 hours.
It amuses me how the e-car critics are so lacking in appropriate knowledge, Nigelbb now joining in with hopelessly inaccurate opinions on every point he makes. Mostly it seems based on Smart's very poor attempts at electrifying their models and an unwillingness to look at the many far better small e-cars.

Anyway, they'll all have to get used to e-cars before too long, and then they'll rapidly change their minds and probably deny ever being anti them. :D

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Problem is charging them at home if you have not got a driveway as is the case in a lot of cities and towns.
Fully agree, and that applies to 25% of the country's households according to an RAC survey for the government. In London that's even worse since it's more like 50%.

However London has been offsetting that, first with many free to use public charge points, second with exemption from the £11.50 a day congestion charge. Maybe the rest of the country will come up with the first and other solutions as the e-car fleet increases.

• Agree
Reactions: Amoto65
D

Deleted member 25121

There's a great deal of interest in putting charging points on lampposts and a great deal of private money going into the project.

Out government has been appalling with its lack of planning for electric cars, they have no clue on things technical, but we'll get there eventually.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
car parks could be fitted with contactless chargers. They work well already up to 2kw.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Since you've done all the research please can you tell us what what proportion of petrol engined cars catch fire and the same for diesel engined cars and electric cars.

Thanks in advance.
Its your research question, so why can't you do it?
I would be most interested in the complete comparison details!
I feel that as I have made a good start for anyone here, and that we should all, share the work load, as being most fair....
You should also include various types of gas fueled cars as well!
I will say that as a whole, diesel engine vehicles can also catch fire, mostly with nothing to do with the fuel, until the heat warms the fuel up and it eventually burns, but giving a significant extra amount of time for leaving the vehicle. Its also easy for the fire brigade to put out! It does not explode until it has been severely overheated, say in a closed container, before being ignited...
Petrol vapour and other gases, explode quite violently as many have found out the hard way, and only a single spark is needed to start that!
Enjoy the video:-
regards
Andy
PS. Watch this:-
and this, a diesel car fire:-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

Its your research question, so why can't you do it?
As I said before, you told us that you've done all the research so please can you tell us what what proportion of petrol engined cars catch fire and the same for diesel engined cars and electric cars.

As you now saying that you tried to mislead us and you never actually researched those figures?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Work is underway at Gridserve’s first ultra-rapid EV charging hub – based at Braintree, Essex – with the Electric Forecourt due to open this summer. Capable of charging up to 24 vehicles at the same time, Gridserve’s Electric Forecourts will offer 350 kW ultra-rapid charge points.

construction-begins-gridserve--9b899fca.jpg

The site will include a two-storey building, due to house facilities such as a coffee shop, mini supermarket, and airport-style lounge with meeting rooms, for drivers whilst they wait.
Power for the sites will be from solar panels covering areas including the forecourt and shop, and from solar farms, with battery storage technology on site able to balance load and maintain supply.

The Braintree hub is one of more than 100 sites Gridserve has secured as part of a £1 billion project. All sites are along busy routes and near grid connections to urban centres and transport centres. Plans are to have a UK-wide network in place within five years.

Just one of many indications of why one has to keep up with this rapidly changing subject almost by the minute to know what one is talking about.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
How long did it take to phase out most coaching inns' stables and phase in petrol stations?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How long did it take to phase out most coaching inns' stables and phase in petrol stations?
A whole lot longer than this electric revolution is proceeding.

Considering the first mass market e-car, the Nissan Leaf, only hit the roads in December just over 9 years ago in Japan and the USA, the progress to this type of large multi car charging point is astonishing, and it's not the first one. It was only in December at nearly half a million made that the Leaf lost it's title of largest selling e-car model to the Tesla model 3.

Now pure electric cars total some 3 million cars worldwide, almost all with li-ion batteries, rising exponentially in the last two years.

The early car drivers in the 1900s had to buy their petrol in cans from chemists shops. The diehards who stick with petrol cars to the bitter end over 30 years into the future will probably have to do the same when the last petrol stations have long gone!

D

Deleted member 25121

Work is underway at Gridserve’s first ultra-rapid EV charging hub – based at Braintree, Essex – with the Electric Forecourt due to open this summer. Capable of charging up to 24 vehicles at the same time, Gridserve’s Electric Forecourts will offer 350 kW ultra-rapid charge points.

View attachment 34423

The site will include a two-storey building, due to house facilities such as a coffee shop, mini supermarket, and airport-style lounge with meeting rooms, for drivers whilst they wait.
Power for the sites will be from solar panels covering areas including the forecourt and shop, and from solar farms, with battery storage technology on site able to balance load and maintain supply.

The Braintree hub is one of more than 100 sites Gridserve has secured as part of a £1 billion project. All sites are along busy routes and near grid connections to urban centres and transport centres. Plans are to have a UK-wide network in place within five years.

Just one of many indications of why one has to keep up with this rapidly changing subject almost by the minute to know what one is talking about.
I read about this site last week and was interested to read that the identified solar farms providing the bulk of the power to it are at different ends of the country, that surprised me at first but of course they could be anywhere with the power travelling over the national grid.

There's a lot of talk in the industry about how the power grid will cope with new demands such as that plus the big demand that half a dozen Teslas in a neighbourhood would put their the local supply.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I read about this site last week and was interested to read that the identified solar farms providing the bulk of the power to it are at different ends of the country, that surprised me at first but of course they could be anywhere with the power travelling over the national grid.

There's a lot of talk in the industry about how the power grid will cope with new demands such as that plus the big demand that half a dozen Teslas in a neighbourhood would put their the local supply.
I think it's great though that e-cars are inspiring a huge increase in solar generation in this way.

We are way behind such as Germany in home solar electricity, but I'm sure people will take note of this use and perhaps increase the takeup for their homes.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

I think it's great though that e-cars are inspiring a huge increase in solar generation in this way.

We are way behind such as Germany in home solar electricity, but I'm sure people will take note of this use and perhaps increase the takeup for their homes.
Most other countries didn't sell off their power generation and distribution capabilities and have the foresight and capability to plan for the future.

The Norwegian government in particular has done amazing things resulting in e-cars being hugely successful there, and this from a country that makes huge money from oil.

• Agree

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
and this from a country that makes huge money from oil.
They were lucky enough that their oil didn't come at the same time as Thatcher.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Problem is charging them at home if you have not got a driveway as is the case in a lot of cities and towns.
That's a problem for the folks without drives or charging at work but that leaves plenty of people - maybe half the people who might want to buy such a small city or second car - for whom it would be ideal. If we replaced our little Aygo with an e-city car we'd likely never have to top it up away from home. Any trips over about 30 miles we'd we'd be doing in our esate car anyway.

And even if you can't charge at home or work, rapid charging a small e-city car with a 100 miles of range will take perhaps 5 minutes longer than visiting a petrol station with the ICE equivalent and will still be cheaper than buying petrol.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and ebiker99