Decathlon ebike

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
As I mentioned on another thread I found the Decathlon ebike to be superb when I tried it out last week. It had the best acceleration I've experienced on an ebike - obtained just by twiddling the pedals in a low gear. Total bargain at £500. I'm waiting to check out the replacement battery price before I purchase.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
As I mentioned on another thread I found the Decathlon ebike to be superb when I tried it out last week. It had the best acceleration I've experienced on an ebike - obtained just by twiddling the pedals in a low gear. Total bargain at £500. I'm waiting to check out the replacement battery price before I purchase.
Four points to consider here.......before buying your 'total bargain'

It has a small battery

It says not to be used on rough terrain.....so just how strongly is it actually made ??

It doesnt state the weight of it with/without the battery......very important to find that out.....along with replacement battery costs as you said .......

Generally, you usually get what you pay for......so it really depends how you intend to use it
......and how long you would expect it to last.

Just a few thoughts anyway,

Good Luck

Lynda

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
Four points to consider here.......before buying your 'total bargain'

It has a small battery

It says not to be used on rough terrain.....so just how strongly is it actually made ??

It doesnt state the weight of it with/without the battery......very important to find that out.....along with replacement battery costs as you said .......

Generally, you usually get what you pay for......so it really depends how you intend to use it
......and how long you would expect it to last.

Just a few thoughts anyway,

Good Luck

Lynda
The battery is 24v 10AHr...pretty standard.

The 'not on rough terrain' statement is included with most of their bikes, including MTBs. It felt pretty stiff and sturdy to me as I threw it around, and I weigh 18.5 stone.

It felt no heavier than other ebikes I've tried......and much less than an 'A to B' bike.

Reviews of most decathlon bikes invariably state that they're good value for money.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Andy it reminds me of early Halfords Mountain Bikes with that disclaimer .The kids were subjecting them to unspeakable things and the forks were snapping . As 14 year olds can ride Ebikes , they are sensibly getting in their disclaimer first .My Batribike Folder only has the earlier 26V 8Ah Battery but it suits me fine . The more Ah the Battery the greater the cost . If you like it and it does seem to offer good value , get one and be the Test Pilot for this Forum . We all know about the £1000 plus bikes but not the £500 ones .

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
I've just heard from Decathlon on the replacement battery: 'A replacement battery for the new Btwin E-bike will be available in early june for £239.99.'

Is that not pretty reasonable for a 10Ahr battery?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've just heard from Decathlon on the replacement battery: 'A replacement battery for the new Btwin E-bike will be available in early june for £239.99.'

Is that not pretty reasonable for a 10Ahr battery?
When taken in comparison with some of the more well known brands, that battery price is good. Of course we know nothing of the battery quality or how long it is guaranteed for.

10Ah may be a bit on the low side for use with a hub motor bike. How far do you need it to go between charges?

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
I have no target distance as I work just 3 miles from home and central London is only 4 miles away.

I've asked Decathlon if I can try the bike out on gradients away from the store so I can post a review here.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
The battery is guaranteed for a year, average cycling distance 25km, max 45km.
Not a long distance commute bike, but certainly good enough what most would use it for.
I think it would be a great bike for 'dipping your toe in the water' not too expensive, supplied by a very reputable company, which has its own workshop facilities and after a year or so you could sell it on and either replace or move on up.

Hackney Andy

Pedelecer
May 11, 2011
Decathlon have kindly just agreed to loaning the ebike to me for a few days, so expect a detailed review soon. Any tips on what to look out for?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Decathlon

How does it go , stop and ride ? Is the Motor excessively noisy and how far will it go on say medium assist ? Does it have any rattles ? Quality of the welds and general finish and appearance ? Enjoy your test and I must say that`s pretty decent of Decathlon to let you have it .I`m sure Andy if you consider it good value for the money , a few people on this Forum would consider buying one !

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
When taken in comparison with some of the more well known brands, that battery price is good. Of course we know nothing of the battery quality or how long it is guaranteed for.
It's half the capacity of the Wisper 36V 14Ah and half the price, I'd say the price is reasonable rather than good.

Decathlon have kindly just agreed to loaning the ebike to me for a few days, so expect a detailed review soon. Any tips on what to look out for?
Do what would be your regular commute, if it doesn't make you happy then there's something wrong.
I know a chap who bought a lower power ebike for his commute through east London, he gave up using it because it was a lot slower than his normal bike. He is now trying to find a cheap way to run a higher voltage.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It's half the capacity of the Wisper 36V 14Ah and half the price, I'd say the price is reasonable rather than good.
It's the same capacity as the Panasonic battery and £160 cheaper. I'd say that is good, rather than reasonable.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Are you saying then that the Wisper costs costs just £999.98 then or that it does 50km normally and max 90km, if not i would still say good rather than reasonable.
Lets see what Hackney Andy has to say on his review before we pull it apart.
Like i said before its cheaper for the complete bike than a Kalkhoff 18ah battery, probably a Wisper one as well!

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Which Decathlon store stocks them? I just get "Not available at this store" and I have tried a few.

Geoff

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Wednesbury (West mids) doesn't stock them but will order one in for a test ride, if I want it that's OK if not no problem.

So, I think I will get them to order one in for a test ride.

Geoff

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Are you saying then that the Wisper costs costs just £999.98 then or that it does 50km normally and max 90km, if not i would still say good rather than reasonable.
Lets see what Hackney Andy has to say on his review before we pull it apart.
Like i said before its cheaper for the complete bike than a Kalkhoff 18ah battery, probably a Wisper one as well!
I thought we were talking about the battery price/capacity rather than the whole bike. And yes a 905 or 906 will easily travel over 50km with full assist on, I've done it a few times on both.
Surrey Quays.

I'm looking forward to climbing Mount Greenwich!
Ebikes are great up that hill through the park, I pass about 10 normal bikes on that short stretch each evening. :)