Defending the Salisbury

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
...ha..ha.. thanks for those few kind words Alex. Colchester doesn't have a cathedral ( yet ) but we do have a few squaddies... you failed to mention where one might hang ones' fluffy dice,( yeah... i can guess) or that there's nowhere for Tacey to sit,
the rear rack, although it would also need to be uprated from 25kg :D

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
I hope with this thread, I have presented a different point of view for people who intend to purchase an E Bike.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Try routes in the North Downs or South Downs and you'll see what I mean about steep hills.

I mentioned those hills barely showing any rise at all in Google Earth, so here's local hills with the same factor. White Lane beyond the smooth green field is steeper than Titsey Hill, rising steeper at the top which you can just see:

Titsey hill is quite gentle compared to White lane - however, just off the left hand side of that picture theres a little dirt trail up through the steep bit of the woods which is called Pitchfont Lane. It's on that little trail that you'll find me on my Nuvinci-hubbed Agattu with my panniers and 2-year-old child onboard, powering our way back home after visiting the playgound and shops in Oxted. The only trouble I have getting up there is not a lack of power, but a lack of traction - towards the top there is a tendency for the back wheel to loose it's grip when I press down on the pedals.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
all joking aside I've found it to be a very good ebike for the price [and of course the terrain I've been using it on] - already done nearly 800 miles on it and only had it since end December...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree Alex, it is a good bike, especially at only £699.

I suspect it might have been this post of mine where I ruled the Salisbury right out as an option that may have prompted IOM's thread.

However that advice was to someone with a bad back who had to face a really steep hill (1 in 7) regularly, so it was responsible advice in those circumstances.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Last week I was over in Portugal and spent a while riding my Dad's Powacycle Windsor (which I believe is just the wave-frame version of the Salisbury). My wife and I did about 50 miles in total whilst we were over there. The Windsor was more than capable of tackling every bit of terrain that we threw at it, so for £600 it was a very good choice on my Dad's part.

The terrain map over there has long gentle sweeping hills (although there were some some moderately steep short ones). The terrain where Flecc & I live looks like someone's scrunched the map up.

It really is all about horses for courses. I think the Powacycle range offers a great combination of power and speed for the money, but where I live, being able to put the motor's power through the gears to gain more torque makes my Kalkhoff the right choice for me.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Not that it needs doing, but I'm enjoying this... so to illustrate the point even further...

Here's my local patch in the North Downs versus somewhere cycle-friendly like Cambridge.

Terrain.jpgCambridge.jpg

Last edited:

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi Fecn

Are you from the FBI, where did you get maps like them from

thx

Bob

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Wow that is a miracle I cannot believe there are satelites for public people to use its like being in the future.

thx

Bob

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Hi

Wow that is a miracle I cannot believe there are satelites for public people to use its like being in the future.

thx

Bob
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW Bob...this really is a miracle,you posted yours at 0207 and ive posted my reply at 0824....does that mean im in the future compared to you ?

thx

Keith

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
It wasn't that post in particular Flecc, I just feel that some people who view this site with a view to purchasing an E Bike are perhaps put off by the thought of having to pay £1000 plus to get one.

The Salisbury in my opinion is a very good bike, with adequate power and very good range for a cost considerably less than the bikes frequently recommended on this site. It will more than meet the requirements of many.

C

Cyclezee

Slightly off thread IOM, but having it's own legislature and being outside the the EU, does the Island have speed/performance limits for e-bikes used on the public highway, or is every day Mad Sunday for e-bikers?

J:) hn

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Aldby,
Not sure to be honest. I think there are only three of us with E Bikes on the Island. Myself, Bikerbob and another guy in my village.

IOM

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have searched previously but found no references to IoM e-bike law, possibly none.

If so, technically they could be illegal, but fortunately for e-bike owners the island did away with flogging a short while ago. :D

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
It wasn't that post in particular Flecc, I just feel that some people who view this site with a view to purchasing an E Bike are perhaps put off by the thought of having to pay £1000 plus to get one.

The Salisbury in my opinion is a very good bike, with adequate power and very good range for a cost considerably less than the bikes frequently recommended on this site. It will more than meet the requirements of many.
Your probably right, i remember A2Bs review of the Windsor was pretty favourable as well, with the only real negative being how slow it was.