Delivery problems / Bosch motors

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
Just had a call of my local bicycle shop. I ordered in oktober 2013 a Stevens E Caprille 45 (with Bosch Performance Speed motor) for myself and a Stevens E Triton 45 (also with Speed motor) for my wife.
Delivery promised March 2014. I now hear that my bike will be manufactured in April and my wife's in June.
Some customers who ordered later are not even getting their ordered bike. Bosch has serious delivery problems and is building an extra factory. Stevens E bikes are all sold out, everything they make this year is already SOLD!
I am glad I bought in the meantime a KTM Macine Race E-MTB (Internet).
Man, what a hype these E Bikes are this year, unbelievable.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Bosch supply problems first surfaced in the UK last year - we had a thread or two about it.

Last answer from Bosch I heard was the factory was being geared up and all would be well within a few months.

I suppose there is a knock-on effect to the bike maker, and the industry in general is known for being slow in doing anything.

There have been no ebikes in the Rose catalogue for ages, which I suspect is at least partly to do with the Bosch supply problem.

I'm guessing Rose has given up altogether on ebikes for 2014.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed, I don't think Bosch thought for one moment that they would jump straight to the top of the pedelec crank-unit market immediately after entering it. They struggled to meet demand for the original unit and this new version has just compounded the problem.

Panasonic and the new Chinese entrants to the crank-unit market will be smiling no doubt!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There's an element of 'typical British industry' about this foul up.

Decent product, but loads of sales and goodwill lost because they can't make it.

just f.y.i

we've had problems getting 300w frame mounted batteries, and the performance system, but we're actually pulling production from the road and mtb sectors so we can make more eBikes over the next 6 months, because we have got supply from Bosch, and Panasonic.

We'll also have the new Nyon display on selected bikes from the end of next month / early May.

http://www.bosch-ebike.de/en/produkte_neu/nyon/nyon__portal_und_apps.php

can't wait to try this!

Bosch have clearly tried to supply too many brands, so lots of the smaller companies are struggling to get stock.

Col

Reactions: trex and RobF

Paws

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2014
There seem to also be a problem with Cube bikes due to Bosch motor delivery problems. At least in my country with local Cube dealers.
The bike was ordered on Nov with delivery estimated on early Feb. Needless to say it was postponed and my local dealer doesn't have the slightest idea until when....
Starting to regret for not ordering it earlier through some of the bigger German online sellers....

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Just look at Moustache..production upped by 30% for 2014 and all FS MTBs now sold out..seems to be a definite move to purchase more upmarket products...we sold 2 of our R&M Charger Hybrids with belt drives and Nuvinci in a week...2 left...and I fear any new orders are about 10-12 weeks - correct me if I'm wrong please Mr Miall..?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes Bosch have had massive orders sited after Eurobike last year. They simply cannot keep up with demand. Many manufacturers are sold out for the year.

For the likes of the Lapierres,word has it that Lappy didn't order their motors early enough. Went in all bulshy late on to get a big NO from Bosch. The lead times are the same for all manufacturers and I feel no favouritism is offered.

I can speak un biased as I am actually the Souths largest Lappy dealer (normal bikes) at one of my cycle shops.

More on the word from Bosch here - http://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/could-the-new-haibike-2014-gen2-models-bosch-production-line-delays/

Regards
Martin

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I can speak un biased as I am actually the Souths largest Lappy dealer (normal bikes) at one of my cycle shops.
Martin,

Off-topic, but what do you make of the Great Lappy Heel Clearance Crisis?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Rob,

I rode a Zesty for most of last year and never had a problem. I have size 11 feet and tend to ride slightly smaller frames.

That said on the 2014 prototypes I noticed the shape if the new swingarm.It was mentioned that the production models swingarm had been revised to offer a narrower rear end and more of an S bend.

Although I can comment on the ride of the new models as haven't had much time recently to get out and ride. I can say with lots out the door already this year, (both the Spicy & Zesty's) no complaints as of yet.

Regards
Martin

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
When we were looking at drive units for our new models we had conversations with various suppliers including Bosch who made it very clear that they were already getting a little swamped ....and this was back in October...

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi Rob,

I rode a Zesty for most of last year and never had a problem. I have size 11 feet and tend to ride slightly smaller frames.

That said on the 2014 prototypes I noticed the shape if the new swingarm.It was mentioned that the production models swingarm had been revised to offer a narrower rear end and more of an S bend.

Although I can comment on the ride of the new models as haven't had much time recently to get out and ride. I can say with lots out the door already this year, (both the Spicy & Zesty's) no complaints as of yet.

Regards
Martin
The one I saw was at a dealer.

I wouldn't have noticed, but a few of the staff were playing with it in the car park.

They found it hard to believe there was insufficient heel clearance and were examining the bike trying to work out if anything was bent or assembled the wrong way round.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Jeez, a dealer that has time for staff to play around in the car park! Sounds like something is definitely wrong yes :)

When your next passing pop in and take a look at a few of the new models (at my Alton store)

Regards
Martin
Thanks for the offer, but Hampshire is too far for window shopping.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop