Votes: 43 46.2%
  • Restricted

Votes: 50 53.8%

• Total voters

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Simply because your riding a push bike not a motor bike
You have the enjoyment of going everywhere a push bike can go
If you want the limit lifted buy and register an S pedelec and use roads only no cycle paths or anything also you need a moped helmet then registration etc that goes with it as it ceases to be a bicycle in the eyes of the law
I notice some dealers are selling S-pedelecs. I rang one and was told.. All you have to do is register it then you can do 28mph. Not mentioning what that entails.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I notice some dealers are selling S-pedelecs. I rang one and was told.. All you have to do is register it then you can do 28mph. Not mentioning what that entails.
Yeah
It’s not as easy as all that
But they would make a sale :(

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I wonder if it's like buying a car where the dealer has to register the vehicle. Can't see getting away with saying. I will register it when I get home.
Now if it was that would be a great idea
Registered and ready too pick up

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now if it was that would be a great idea
Registered and ready too pick up
Can't see it happening with e-bikes. As you well know being in the trade, a typical "on the road" price added to the car is around £500.

That easily covers registration, VED cost, number plates etc., even leaving some extra profit margin. But a bike dealer would find it very difficult to charge anything worthwhile over the e-bike price, which is often already steep compared to cars.

• Agree

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Can't see it happening with e-bikes. As you well know being in the trade, a typical "on the road" price added to the car is around £500.

That easily covers registration, VED cost, number plates etc., even leaving some extra profit margin. But a bike dealer would find it very difficult to charge anything worthwhile over the e-bike price, which is often already steep compared to cars.
Your right
But it would be nice and it would make sure all S pedelecs went out legal

The annoying thing is there’s not a lot of actual cost in registration especially with the net it could easily be implemented as an online portal for dealers
The problem is ultimately the DVLA as they do seem to have a problem with the simplest of tasks .

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Vandazler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2018
Without the de-restriction dongle, I would go insane hitting the treacle all the time.I bought my E-bike as a tool to get me to and from work in a timely fashion.I can almost run as fast as the current limit of 15.5 mph.I bristle with anger when I think about big brother trying to rule my life and dictating what I can and cannot do using my own common sense. If a guy on a racing bike smashes into anything doing 45mph, that's fine with the law and legal if it's in a 50 zone? yet if I hit anything doing 20 on a de-restricted bike I'm up for it. It's typical British *******.I'd sooner just risk it.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
If a guy on a racing bike smashes into anything doing 45mph, that's fine with the law and legal if it's in a 50 zone? yet if I hit anything doing 20 on a de-restricted bike I'm up for it. It's typical British *******.I'd sooner just risk it.
To be fair it’s nothing to do with big brother
If you want a motorbike buy one
Tax it
insure it
and license it
You are riding a bicycle with non of the above and have free roam of cycle paths and any where a standard bicycle is allowed
Would you be happy letting electric motorbikes riding down shared paths with pedestrians ?
You can’t have it all your own way
Well not legally anyway

I guess this will ruffle a few feathers on here but it’s how it is like it or not
If you want a speed pedelec
Pay your money and stay on the roads only

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yet if I hit anything doing 20 on a de-restricted bike I'm up for it. It's typical British *******.
Not currently British, the peculiar 15.5 mph figure is what the EU 25 kph limit converts to, since we have the EU pedelec law. Not that we're better, our own original UK e-bike law had an even more restrictive 12 mph assist limit.

However, be thankful that our police don't seem to care what assist speed you have. If we had the French or Spanish police it would be very different!

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Something I didn't know until I started making enquiries about a new bike... you can go and buy a 28mph bike off the shelf... They appear to be an exact copy of the 15.5mph version.. Just go a lot faster.
And they usually even have a rear number plate bracket and other necessary features for registration as a moped, such as lights and brake light.

Reactions: Fat Rat

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Something I didn't know until I started making enquiries about a new bike... you can go and buy a 28mph bike off the shelf... They appear to be an exact copy of the 15.5mph version.. Just go a lot faster.
ktm bikes will not sell you a sclass bike unless you can prove you have private land to use it on.

and a dongle will be faster anyway as cut off will be 35mph ;)

• Agree

Vandazler

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2018
To be fair it’s nothing to do with big brother
If you want a motorbike buy one
Tax it
insure it
and license it
You are riding a bicycle with non of the above and have free roam of cycle paths and any where a standard bicycle is allowed
Would you be happy letting electric motorbikes riding down shared paths with pedestrians ?
You can’t have it all your own way
Well not legally anyway

I guess this will ruffle a few feathers on here but it’s how it is like it or not
If you want a speed pedelec
Pay your money and stay on the roads only
I’m not sure how motor bikes came up. I certainly wasn’t referring to them. Maybe my term”racing bike “ threw you. My simple point is 15.5 mph is too slow on the road in my opinion,and I would always stay under the legal limit on shared pathways if I had to use them. I find the concept of sharing pathways wrong anyway,pedestrians don’t always hear you coming and it’s downright dangerous sharing with them. As a kid we were always told to use the road if on a push bike, maybe I’m being old fashioned.

Reactions: Zac and LeighPing

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I’m not sure how motor bikes came up. I certainly wasn’t referring to them. Maybe my term”racing bike “ threw you. My simple point is 15.5 mph is too slow on the road in my opinion,and I would always stay under the legal limit on shared pathways if I had to use them. I find the concept of sharing pathways wrong anyway,pedestrians don’t always hear you coming and it’s downright dangerous sharing with them. As a kid we were always told to use the road if on a push bike, maybe I’m being old fashioned.
If the police chose to prosecute you for riding a deristricted pedelec they would charge you with riding an unregistered and uninsured motor cycle.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The thing is you may be a sensible rider but unfortunately a lot are not.