Derestricting motor - will I notice much difference?

Rob Archer

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2020
I've recently fitted a Cyclotricity mid-drive E-assist kit to my Surly Disc Trucker. I'm really pleased with it. I do have the throttle fitted (I know it's not road-legal in the UK) and find it handy if I need to accellerate quickly, like on a roundabout, or for the rare hill (I live in West Norfolk!). I have the codes to deregulate it from 250W to 500W. Apart from the legal issues, would I actually notice much difference? How much would it affect my range (currently about 30 miles)? I mostly use the lowest assist setting unless I'm fighting a Fenland headwind. I suppose I'm asking is it worth breaking the law for? Most of the people I know using e-bikes are using 500 or 1000W motors.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i ride my bike around going 30mph it is not a problem you will get a few more mph out of it but it wont brake any speed records.

range depends on a lot of things so best to try it and see what it uses.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've recently fitted a Cyclotricity mid-drive E-assist kit to my Surly Disc Trucker. I'm really pleased with it. I do have the throttle fitted (I know it's not road-legal in the UK) and find it handy if I need to accellerate quickly, like on a roundabout, or for the rare hill (I live in West Norfolk!). I have the codes to deregulate it from 250W to 500W. Apart from the legal issues, would I actually notice much difference? How much would it affect my range (currently about 30 miles)? I mostly use the lowest assist setting unless I'm fighting a Fenland headwind. I suppose I'm asking is it worth breaking the law for? Most of the people I know using e-bikes are using 500 or 1000W motors.
If it's easy to do, try it out and let us know how it works out - on private land of course!

Reactions: Rob Archer

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
De- restricting will likely release more current and speed, range will be affected.

Rob Archer

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2020
Well, I took the plunge and derestricted to motor to 500w. I did notice an increase in speed up to 20mph and a noticeable improvement in acceleration away from junctions. Hill climbing improvement was marginal. Range was reduced by about a third though. All in all I didn't find it enough of a benefit to be worth it. Range is more important for me anyway. I've re-restricted it back to 250w/15.5mph and will probably stick with that unless I'm carrying heavy loads uphill sometime.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The improvement in acceleration will be extra current supplied in 500w mode, where the controller will allow all f the available 22a current. In 250w mode the current will be restricted to about 15 -17a draw.