Help! Derestricting Oxygen S-Cross MTB Mk2?

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
One last question....(well, hopefully!)
Now I've got the throttle and PAS working ok, my only (slight) issue is that the speedo seems to work fine up to about 22 mph, but even if going faster than that (ie downhill with a following wind!), it doesn't read any faster than the 22 mph. The other weird thing is that if you're only pedal power only, the indicated speed drops by about 50%. I'm sure there's probably a setting or two I could play with, it would just be nice for everything to be working properly.
As a matter of interest, on the recommendation of somebody on this forum, I used some Sugru glue to secure the PAS sensor, and I have to say, it's good stuff!

Ray Johnson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 16, 2016
Angry Freak-

Yes, I do have the bike, but was aware before it arrived that Oxygen had changed things a bit! I'm not sure about the magnet on the pedals trick, but they've changed the controller, and the new one has no wires for a throttle, nor can it be derestricted. The fact that it's basically a 500 watt motor running at 250 watts is, to me, like putting a wooden block under my car's accelerator pedal (mind you, that might have been a good idea, as I wouldn't have been nailed for 115mph on the M4, but that's another story!)
Anyway, it transpires that the only way to have a throttle, and a bit more grunt, is to change the controller for one which allows you to.
As you probably know, I haven't actually done it yet, but once I get the bits, I'll hopefully get it sorted out.
If you don't fancy doing it yourself, there's someone on here who can probably do it for you, I've got his details if I get into trouble, and he doesn't live that far from me (I'm in Wiltshire, and so's he)

Yours etc

Hovlev2
Hi Hovlev2

Any chance you could send me a link, please, on the bits of kit that you bought for your bike. Where can I find this guy in Wiltshire?

Yours

Ray

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The magnet on a pedal method might work, when I think about it. You'd have to cut into the motor cable to get at the white speed sensor wire and the red and black 5v power supply wires. Use an external speed sensor positioned to sense a magnet on the back of the pedal. This method would probably work on all hub-motored bikes with sealed system.

If you don't want to cut into the motor wire, you could use a short motor cable extension, which you cut into.

Usr-del

Just Joined
Jan 2, 2021
The magnet on a pedal method might work, when I think about it. You'd have to cut into the motor cable to get at the white speed sensor wire and the red and black 5v power supply wires. Use an external speed sensor positioned to sense a magnet on the back of the pedal. This method would probably work on all hub-motored bikes with sealed system.

If you don't want to cut into the motor wire, you could use a short motor cable extension, which you cut into.

View attachment 40124

View attachment 40124
Good call M8, I used a cable extension and severed the grey wire.
Now i have full speed (ok the speedo does not work but that is not important to me)
The strange thing is the bike seems much smoother to ride without the speed restriction! I guess the power is not cutting in and out :) Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Good call M8, I used a cable extension and severed the grey wire.
Now i have full speed (ok the speedo does not work but that is not important to me)
The strange thing is the bike seems much smoother to ride without the speed restriction! I guess the power is not cutting in and out :) Thanks
Excellent result. That's going to be really useful for anybody else that buys one of these bikes. I used to recommend them very highly, but the speed restriction isn't very popular. At last we have a cheap way round it.

This method will probably work on the Carrera bikes and any other with a hub-motor.

cyclenut1952

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2019
Leeds LS27
Has anyone noticed on the small display speed limit is set at 20.5 km/h? Mine is which is 5km/h less than it should be, but can’t be altered.