DfT Launches Consultations on Use of SPEVs

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
UK Department for Transport Launches Consultations on Use of Small Personal Electric Vehicles and Electric-Assist Bikes

UK Department for Transport Launches Consultations on Use of Small Personal Electric Vehicles and Electric-Assist Bikes

The UK Department for Transport (DfT) launched a consultation on the use of small electric personal vehicles. The consultation seeks views on the principle of changing the law to permit the use of small electric personal vehicles (EPVs)—e.g., the Segway Personal Transporter or the Toyota Winglet Transporter—on public roads and cycle tracks. It does not include consideration of their use on pedestrian footways or footpaths.

At present any EPV which does not comply with existing road traffic law may only be used on private land with the landowner’s permission.

The DfT is also launching a consultation on electrically-assisted pedal cycles (EAPC). The proposals in this consultation will provide greater clarity for consumers on whether a product is considered to be an electrically-assisted pedal cycle or a motor vehicle. It also addresses harmonizing UK regulations with European standards.

Both consultations close 30 March 2010.

New technologies can offer new opportunities and this consultation offers the chance for a full consideration of the issues around electric personal vehicles. We want to hear from groups and individuals with opinions and evidence on whether the law should be changed to permit such vehicles on public roads and cycle tracks. We will then consider all the responses carefully before deciding whether any further action is required.

—Secretary Adonis

EPVs. The DfT says it is aware of one EPV which has been developed to comply with road traffic law requirements and another which is being developed to meet such requirements. With very few exceptions, powered vehicles which comply with road traffic law requirements may use the carriageway, but not cycle tracks, provided their riders comply with other relevant provisions. They are for the most part not permitted on pedestrian footways (only a very few vehicles, which comply with specific requirements, e.g. invalid carriages and cleaning machinery used by local authorities, may use such areas).

Although DfT has to date received few approaches from members of the public seeking permission to use ‘non-compliant’ EPVs, and no manufacturers or promoters have sought changes to the law except those representing Segway. However, the Secretary of State for Transport has concluded that an initial ‘in principle’ public consultation about possible changes to the law should be undertaken.

Some options to consider in the treatment of EPVs include:

Construction standard requirements
Pre-market type approval requirements
Roadworthiness inspection requirements
Driver testing/licensing requirements
Registration and insurance requirements
Use on pedal cycle facilities
EAPCs. The specification of EAPCs in the UK is currently regulated by The Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations 1983. The recent introduction of a European Standard for EAPCs created a mismatch between the European requirements and the current UK Regulations, causing confusion for both industry and consumers. The changes to legislation proposed in the consultation will address the mismatch and, in the main, provide a simplification of existing legislation.

Among the issues to be addressed are:

Power Limit. The UK EAPC Regulations currently permit a maximum continuous rated power of 200W for bicycles and 250W for tandems and tricycles. The European rules permit a maximum continuous rated power of 250W for bicycles, tandems and tricycles.

Pedaling. Pedal Assistance - Cycles that permit power assistance without the rider pedalling fall within the scope of the European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Framework Directive for motorcycles and should comply with the various standards set out therein. Regulatory requirements on licensing for riders and vehicles, insurance and taxation also apply.

Bicycle and Tandem Weight. Neither the European standard nor the European Whole Vehicle Type-Approval Framework Directive for motorcycles specifies a weight limit for EAPCs. The UK EAPC Regulations specify a maximum weight for bicycles of 40 kg and a maximum weight for tandems and tricycles of 60 kg.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset

Among the issues to be addressed are:

Pedaling. Pedal Assistance - Cycles that permit power assistance without the rider pedalling fall within the scope of the European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Framework Directive for motorcycles and should comply with the various standards set out therein. Regulatory requirements on licensing for riders and vehicles, insurance and taxation also apply.
Is this correct, or rather, is it correct in the UK? I thought that was one of the other differences between UK and rest of EU.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is this correct, or rather, is it correct in the UK? I thought that was one of the other differences between UK and rest of EU.

Nick
I think it's just the awkward wording that's potentially misleading Nick. I think they mean that in the EU including the UK, having throttle control means type approval is necessary, together with taxation and insurance. That is the case of course, but our EAPC regulations are British law, not UK law, and still permit throttles at present due to the duplication of EU and British law since 2002.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think it's just the awkward wording that's potentially misleading Nick. I think they mean that in the EU including the UK, having throttle control means type approval is necessary, together with taxation and insurance. That is the case of course, but our EAPC regulations are British law, not UK law, and still permit throttles at present due to the duplication of EU and British law since 2002.
If these regulations/restrictions do come in not to worried re insurance/taxation BUT will you also need a driving/riding licence? as mine is borderline at the moment (poor eyesight) I guess I will just have to get fitter and go back to a normal bike:( Or shoot myself....why cant they leave us alone.

E Bikes a far safer with a throttle....KEEP THE THROTTLE!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If these regulations/restrictions do come in not to worried re insurance/taxation BUT will you also need a driving/riding licence? as mine is borderline at the moment (poor eyesight) I guess I will just have to get fitter and go back to a normal bike:( Or shoot myself....why cant they leave us alone.

E Bikes a far safer with a throttle....KEEP THE THROTTLE!
No, there will be no licence requirement. Everything will be the same as present except for no throttles and an increase in legal power for solo e-bikes from 200 watts to 250 watts. Many if not most of our e-bikes are already like this, so no change for them.

See my comment on throttles in this post.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thats a very good post Flecc, I fully agree with your points and observations.

Also as an open question to UK based manufacturers, I'd like to ask if the current UK legislation is really a barrier for trade within the EU? As that's whats implied in the consultation DOC on the DfT site...

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Hi

Whats the problem with having a throttle, is it just to do with someone sitting in a room somewhere who has just been given the task of making some laws up for us E-bikers by the man in charge:confused: :mad:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi

Whats the problem with having a throttle, is it just to do with someone sitting in a room somewhere who has just been given the task of making some laws up for us E-bikers by the man in charge:confused: :mad:
Of course it is.........In this centralised heavily Bureaucratic controlling state, with a MASSIVE overpaid private sector distanced from the rest of us.... which is probably now bigger then the wealth generating public sector, well it certainly is in Northern Ireland. I would shoot the bloody lot of them...LEAVE US ALONE

maybe I should pack up and move to Montana ( there is a song there somehere) ......(Frank Zappa:) )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi

The EU regulations have banned them for many years and that law would have been in force here from 2002, but for a civil service mistake.

The basic idea behind all EU electric assist bicycle legislation is that they should remain bicycles in every respect except for the added assistance. To that end the control of power is by pedal rotation and presssure, just like any other bike.

However much we might dislike that, the logic is faultless.

Neither should it be thought just EU bureacracy, since other countries have similar legislation, Japan for example with very similar but even stricter legislation which pre-dates the EU laws.

Many countries also have different but stricter laws. In China the assist speed limit is 12 mph, in Australia the power limit is 200 watts, in Sweden helmets are compulsory with a lower age limit of 15 years, to give just some examples. We've just been lucky in Britain that the civil service made that mistake and gave us over 7 years of relative freedom to date, with probably two more years of that freedom yet. Northern Ireland hasn't been so lucky though, being in the UK but not Britain, the British EAPC regulations don't count there, so they've been subject to the EU order since November 10th, 2002.

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
No thottle! NEVER. I don't use it too much, maybe only after doing some serious pedeling up hill (I only use low assistance most of the time and I'm not the fittest person in the world), but how nice it is when you just come over the top of that hill and just a twist of the wrist for a couple of hundred metres while you stop pedelling, I can feel the lactic acid discipating now, HAAA...WONDERFULL.:) :) :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No throttle! NEVER.
I sympathise since I also like having a throttle, but the ban will arrive and nothing is going to change that.

It won't apply to existing e-bikes though, they will be able to carry on for as long as they last.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I would be surprised if requests to retain the 'throttle powered' option that the British legislation seems to allow for, make any difference.

I might be allowing past experience of public consultations to colour my opinions, but they are usually token gestures. This is after all to moving into line with the EU regs. There is usually a bit of leway buit into these consultations but it is never on the big stuff.

That however won't stop me trying. The throttle is great for fine grained control and a bit of extra boost in sticky situations. While I could live without it, it would be a real shame to lose it as an option for future bikes - but at least it won't be retrospective. It might make old bikes manufactured with throttles a bit more desireable after it comes into effect.

I also wish they would allow ebikes to go a little bit faster 18-20mph would be the ideal commute speed (for me at least) which reminds me - there was no mention (though I did skim read and dip in and out) of implementing the faster class of ebikes (that would require registration and insurance) that have been mentioned in the past, other than as a fleeting aside. If I remember rightly, this is allowed for under the EU regs and Germany are the only country to have implemented it so far? I'm not sure if this requires a helmet and license in Germany but I would imagine it simply wouldn't be allowed over here without.

The desire to keep a weight limit on trikes seems a bit pointless as they rightly point out it is self regulating - after all what is the point of a heavy trike with relatively weedey motor? I expect they would give in on this point.

The requirement to have an information plate (like a VIN plate but with date of manufature and motor wattage and battery voltage) seems a bit odd but there wasn't any mention of it being a legal 'on the road' requiement. Also not sure how this would affect hobby builds.

That's all I can remember for now - will give it a proper read tomorrow.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we seem to be arm in arm with the USA and out of kilter with the rest of Europe regards invading other country's and other such diplomatic niceties....... ...Why cant we adopt US regs on E bikes and bu$$er the lot of them.

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Hi Flecc

Yes, these rules/regs' will probably be imposed on us (no real democracy then " listen you! Err...Err... what do you call em'...E-Bikers, this is what we are going to do.) I know we need rules, I just need to see some clear justification for these rules, the need to keep the E-bike as close to an original pedal cycle doesn't even register as a reason to the rule...WHY...who made the blueprint, where is it??? Are we to assume that, when the electric car becomes mainstream, it will not be allowed to have say, a throttle on the steering mechanism, only reason being it's to unlike the I/C engined cars. Hmmm:confused:

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Hi Flecc

Yes, these rules/regs' will probably be imposed on us (no real democracy then " listen you! Err...Err... what do you call em'...E-Bikers, this is what we are going to do.) I know we need rules, I just need to see some clear justification for these rules, the need to keep the E-bike as close to an original pedal cycle doesn't even register as a reason to the rule...WHY...who made the blueprint, where is it??? Are we to assume that, when the electric car becomes mainstream, it will not be allowed to have say, a throttle on the steering mechanism, only reason being it's to unlike the I/C engined cars. Hmmm:confused:
There are clear rules for motor vehicles that are used on public highways. Despite being motorised vehicles some e-bilkes are classed as being "Electricaly Assisisted Pedal Cycles" and as such are allowed to ignore these rules on the grounds that they so close to being pedal cycles that they may as well be treated as such. What is being changed is the cut off point at which the motor vehicle legislation stops turning a blind eye to our little motor bikes.

Throttles wouldn't be banned, and putting a throttle on an ebike wouldn't preclude it from being used on the road, it would just change the rules that the bike was subject to, i.e. it would then be classed as a motor vehicle. Unfortunately the current rules for motor vehicles aren't suitable for e-bikes so such a change would be a significant disadvantage for throttled bikes. If the rules for motor vehicles were more flexible with, say, vehicle classes for low and very low powered mopeds then this wouldn't be such a problem.

Patrick

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Actually AFAIUI there is no ban on throttles (or will be no ban in the UK). An EAPC can have a throttle - lever, twist, plunger, with or without spring return, mounted on the bars or anywhere else.

The requirement is that the motor does not provide power unless the pedals are turning. So it needs either a pedal torque sensor or a pedal movement sensor. It is still possible to have an additional means of regulating the power. In fact the power control on many bikes is a throttle.

What you can't have is a throttle as the sole means of regulating the power.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just need to see some clear justification for these rules, the need to keep the E-bike as close to an original pedal cycle doesn't even register as a reason to the rule.
I can't really agree that there is no need to keep e-bikes close to pedal cycles, or that is isn't a reason to rule that. The reason is quite simply that they are allowed to use cycling facilities like cyclepaths and joint use pavements and must therefore be compatible with safety requirements for those. That's why pleas for throttles, 18 mph or more assist limits, or higher motor powers fall on deaf ears.

As Patrick rightly says, there is no outright ban on these other features, they are all pernissible within vehicle regulations, but not as bicycles which seems perfectly logical to me since these features do separate them from the normal bicycle.

Patrick asks for separate classes like low powered mopeds, but they do already exist as you see in this extract from the single vehicle type approval regulations:

Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval

Test type

Low power moped
(A moped with pedals, with an auxiliary propulsion not exceeding 1kw, and a maximum design speed not exceeding 25km/h [16mph])

So as you see, we can have up to 1000 watt e-bikes with throttles, but they do have to be registered and treated like mopeds and used with a group P driving licence.

Manufacturers can produce and market bikes like this whenever they like, but none seem to think it worthwhile. I don't know for certain why, we had similar petrol powered bikes over half a century ago and we were perfectly happy to tax them and have a rear number plate, insurance etc. There is the added CBT now which is a bit offputting, but on the other hand the road tax is free now for electrics while we had to pay for it in the past.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually AFAIUI there is no ban on throttles (or will be no ban in the UK). An EAPC can have a throttle - lever, twist, plunger, with or without spring return, mounted on the bars or anywhere else.

Nick
I think a ban on throttles will probably exist Nick. Years ago we did implement the incorporation of EU regulations into UK law, it was only the British EAPC regs left in place which permits them. If the civil service just remove the British regulation to bring us into line as they should have done originally, the whole of the EU regulations will automatically be in force without any further action.

This is why the EU law already exists in full for Northern Ireland and has done since 2002, that UK country is not subject to British law like the EAPC regulations since it's not in Great Britain, so the EU law came into force the moment we implemented it in UK law.

However, if the government decide to do things the awkward way and start again by modifying the EAPC regulations, throttles might still exist. That could be perverse since it would still leave us with multiple standards, Northern Ireland different from the rest of us, unless the EAPC was passed into UK law this time instead of just than the British law as previously. That's far from certain though, since they are speaking of modifying the 1983 British EAPC.

Of course the Isle of Man will still be out on a limb, being neither in Great Britain or the UK, so they have no e-bike regulations of any sort. They appear to be completely illegal there unless treated as motorcycles.

What a mess we make with our bureaucracy!

Last edited: