Dilemma....

zeeflyboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2011
Normally I'm a fairly decisive guy, but I've been going backwards and forwards on this one for a while and I just can't decide... so help me!

Now first the background:

I'm an expat living in france and cycle to work in Geneva all year round, covering over 3,500km per year... it's around a 15km trip to work and back. for this I primarily use my trusty Cube Attempt road bike and have done for the last 2.5 years. I also own a nice carbon framed full suspension mountain bike (Ghost RT Lector) which I am sometimes forced to use in the snow... but I am slightly loathe to leave it at work since it's not a cheap bit of kit and is extremely eye catching. Only happens a few times a year though.

Recently I've been getting a bit fed up with arriving at work sweating like a badger when it's hot or struggling to make way into the headwind when it's windy... so my curiosity has been peeked by an e-bike, or more specifically a pedelec. This way I can leave the assist low/off when I'm feeling motivated or crank it up when I'm not/it's hot/windy/I'm running late.

So after trawling the web I came up with two options that are about the same cost at around £800-900, and thus begins my dilemma.

Option A)

I fit an Oxydrive electric conversion kit to my Cube Attempt. Replaces the front wheel with a motorised hub wheel. Really nice looking kit, high quality and has a natty little bike computer/interface

Pros:
- It uses my existing bike, less wasteful.
- High quality electronics combined with a decent level (albeit slightly tired) road bike
- All up weight will be very low for an e-bike, about 16kg total.
- Due to light weight and low rolling resistance the range should be pretty decent.

Cons:
- Bike is well overdue a BIG service, about 7,000km overdue.
- Some rough patches on the way to work almost shake my fillings out on the rigid road bike
- Kit that I have to fit myself, time and effort (albeit only 2 hours according to them... assuming there aren't problems)
- Limited options for winter tyres due to very low clearance between tyre and frame.

Option B)

I buy a Burisch Synergy GT250. This is a stunning looking little bike for the money and the entire lot costs the same as the Oxydrive kit... seems to be nicely kitted out and has suspension for making the ride to work a little less harsh, plus a front disc which should be much more enjoyable in the wet (anyone who has tried braking with rim brakes in torrential rain will know what I mean!).

Electronics quality obviously won't be quite as high as the Oxydrive kit but I do get a brand new bike thrown in on the deal.

Pros:
- Minimal fuss... just put a few bits together and it's ready to go.
- More comfortable
- Better winter tyre options (simple 26" rim with plenty of clearance)
- NEW!!!

Cons:
- Heavier (around 20.5kg, still light for an ebike but much heavier than my hypothetical converted cube)
- Bike components probably a lower standard than the cube (but less worn!)
- Electronic components maybe not quite as good as the oxydrive

Performance between the two should be more or less the same, with the caveat of the GT250 being heavier. From what I've read the power delivery of the Oxydrive when used in pedelec (assistance) mode is smoother whereas the burisch can be a bit binary... ie the moment you start pedaling it's off like a shot.

If you've made it through to the end here, congrats. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, especially if anyone here is using either one!

cheers!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Either way is good, so I'm not surprised you ask the question. I think that since this is a new venture for you and the road bike discomfort is a factor that could affect the kit option somewhat, I'd say the Burisch.

If you like it fine, and you probably will since handing that sudden power application is more a matter of experience than anything. After all, we're only speaking of part of a horse power at peak. Alternatively, if you don't like it you can sell it on complete very much easier than the s/h kit.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If you decide to go ready built, it might be worth looking at the Kudos Cobra or Tornado, and comparing to the Burisch. I seem to recall Kudos bikes having better components.

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
Hmm true... I must say I'm very tempted by the GT250, it's a great looker.

Thanks for the tip about the kudos bikes, they look great too... Unfortunately they won't ship to Europe, and its just too much hassle to bring it out myself.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Oxydrive kit has a Dapu motor, which is exceptionally free-running. The speed limit is adjustable in the LCD panel. The motor will spin up to about 23mph, or maybe a bit faster in a 700c wheel, which is a big advantage for anybody that wants to go that fast, especially a sporting cyclist who's used to travelling faster than that. Once you're above the cut-off speed of the bike, you've got no assistance and the additional weight of the electric kit, so on some bikes, if you normally travel at 18 mph, there's little advantage except on hills. I'm not sure how the Burisch speed is limited, or whether it can be adjusted to go faster. Perhaps an owner can tell us the speed.

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
The large frame version of the GT250 actually runs 28" tyres, as i have just found out, so same as 700c in diameter.

From what I understand on the 2013 model you need a different controller to access the higher speeds, but then it should be pretty comparable I guess... Though no idea about the freewheeling. I was under the impression that all the small 250w geared hub type motors were freewheeling? I was quoted something like £45 for the de-restricted controller.

There's a better spec list (plus pics of the large frame version) here, oddly more up to date than the website. BURISCH Synergy GT250 LARGE Ebike e-bike pedelec electric bicycle | eBay

I'm almost decided on the GT250. I can get the Cube a service and then try to sell it to recoup some costs, suspension and disc brakes are a big plus on a daily commuter I think.

Last edited:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
You might want to consider a second hand bike. You could probably pick up a good Pro Connect for your money. They're good quality bikes and totally free running with the motor off, so good for keen cyclists. Also very reliable if my 4 year old one is anything to go by.

D

Deleted member 4366

From what I understand on the 2013 model you need a different controller to access the higher speeds, but then it should be pretty comparable I guess... Though no idea about the freewheeling. I was under the impression that all the small 250w geared hub type motors were freewheeling? I was quoted something like £45 for the de-restricted controller.
All ebikes with hub-motors are restricted by the motor winding speed, and some by the controller as well, so if you want to go faster than 25 km/h, you need to check with Burisch how fast the motor can go. No controller in the world can make a 36v 201 rpm motor go over 20mph without changing the battery.

Nearly all geared hub-motors have a clutch to disengage something when free-wheeling. Some disengage the internal gears as well as the motor, but not on the Burisch, so some free-wheel better than others.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Option C: get a crank drive kit from 8-Fun. This is the easiest way to go fast with a smallish battery. Just set the LCD how fast you want to go (up to 25mph).

D

Deleted member 4366

Good point Trex. The Bafang crank-drive kit is very easy to fit, and it can help you at any speed depending on your gearing.

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
D8 - thanks for the info, still learning!

That 8-fun thing looks interesting too... Now it's a trilemma lol. A shade over 20mph is about what I've seen mentioned for the unrestricted controller, that would suit me just fine. 20mph is a pretty comfortable pace on the road bike on the flat for me and that's enough - if I can maintain that speed with a little assistance to reduce the sweat and help hold speed better uphill it'll be perfect.

I'm off to do some reading up on the 8-fun!

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
thanks for that.

I'm leaning towards the GT250 for an immediate and easy fix, see how I get on with it and then perhaps down the road look into a "self build" if I feel the need....