Disabled cyclist; with one bad choice behind her, needs help with a new bike

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I know what I don't want (I already have that)

I need a low step through, with shedloads of power to take me not very fast, everywhere, even up hills

I needs to be light, with big wheels, suspension, very sit up and beg

In fact a complete cross between the 2 bikes I have

The crusa is too heavy and all the weight is at the back so it's unstable when I walk with it or load it on the train

The fazua is too big for me I can't get my leg over the bar and my legs aren't strong enough to register on the torque/motor

Attachments

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Turning from Belstead Rd to Luther Road the first bit is horrific, I avoid if possible but its very short then downhill after that or if I have more time I go round to Prince of Wales Rd and avoid it

Willoughby is thought to be a killer so you round the bottom and up Belstead Road

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
One thing to remember os that Katy at 70kg is probably a lot lighter than you guys, so she will require less power, I'd be surprised if she used over 15wh/m in total, which means a single 600wh battery should be OK for 40 miles as long as she can do some pedalling.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im 62.9kg ur to fat :D

• :D
Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
im powerd buy mcdonalds and tramps pi$$ and im still not dead :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

energy boost :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no you put the bit that goes in to the bottom of the lighter and bite on it and push it in and download it like fag smoke.

same sort of buzz for gas at hospital or dentist but does not ko you but over years will melt ur brain :eek:

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Luther Rd looks around 15% for a 50m section on OSM and the worst Ipswich has to offer :) Is anyone acquainted with it to confirm or otherwise? Saneagle's favourite AKM128 would be half the weight of a Bafang kit.
The OP wanted a bike which isn't rear heavy. The AKM128 weighs 2.8kg - unsure if it can be installed on a Brompton (135mm dropouts required), or if that would make whichever lightweight bike she got converted too rear heavy, like the OP's present rear motored and batteried Crusa is.

One thing to remember os that Katy at 70kg is probably a lot lighter than you guys, so she will require less power, I'd be surprised if she used over 15wh/m in total, which means a single 600wh battery should be OK for 40 miles as long as she can do some pedalling.
I weigh 68kg now, the OP is heavier than I am. I weighed about 70kg when I rode my BBS01B conversion with 19.2Ah/691Wh battery for 43 miles, with the controller limited to 15A, consuming 16Wh per mile. I was carrying a laptop, tablet, DSLR camera, lenses, photography lights, camera and light batteries, two tripods (one carbon fiber), phone, powerbank, plus other stuff. The only time during that journey the motor wasn't doing nearly all of the work, was when I had to sprint ahead of traffic at 21mph when three lanes suddenly became one, because of roadworks, which was when I was grateful for my 52T chainwheel. On a 16" wheeled BBS01B Brompton conversion travelling slower than I usually do, with gearing more appropriate for hills, I think the OP could get away with the BBS01B controller limited to 14A or less, and still have a bike with the same or similar excellent hill climbing ability as mine, and more range from the same 19.2Ah/691Wh capacity battery.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
... I rode my BBS01B conversion with 19.2Ah/691Wh battery for 43 miles, with the controller limited to 15A, consuming 16Wh per mile.
Yes 16Wh/m x 40mi => 640Wh. But taxis can refuse to take stranded ebikes so for a disabled rider I'd definitely allow extra for range anxiety, misjudgment and battery ageing, even if 50% extra is OTT for leisure use. I needn't have allowed for motor efficiency though as it's in the 15wh/m estimate.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes 16Wh/m x 40mi => 640Wh. But taxis can refuse to take stranded ebikes so for a disabled rider I'd definitely allow extra for range anxiety, misjudgment and battery ageing, even if 50% extra is OTT for leisure use. I needn't have allowed for motor efficiency though as it's in the 15wh/m estimate.
When I was forever needing to transport two very elderly cats to the vet, my local taxi serice learned to ask what I was carrying, whenever I rang. It's always best to be clear with taxi services at the phone call negotiation phase, because many have large taxis for hire as an option. If one taxi service refuses, another might not.

Provided the OP can cope with the the extra weight of higher battery capacity, when needing to move it around, it can't hurt because the BBS01B can be programmed to do nearly all of the work (it can pretty much behave like a throttle-less moped activated by cadence) also futureproofs, which is why I bought a large battery providing more range than I need, so I'll still have enough range for most of my longer journeys when capacity drops to 80% in about a year or two/three(?) (it's been over three years and more than 4000km).

BTW I wouldn't put a BBS01B on your Dahon Vitesse, not if you're going to program it for high power, because it has no hinge reinforcement. The hinge on my Dahon Helios used to creak when high motor torque activated, this was sorted out with a drop or three of 3 in 1 mineral oil, but frame flex is worth bearing in mind. The Dahon HIT with it's hinge reinforcing cable is a better BBS01B conversion candidate, as is the Helios which has a reinforcement bar over the hinge.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
An unlikely possibility is a rear hub conversion of a sub-6kg to 7.5kg (depending on number of gears) titanium framed Panasonic Traincle - unfortunately extremely rare this side of the world. It's wheelbase is so short, the rear hub motor's weight might not be an issue when lumping the converted bike about? Perhaps there's enough room to mount some form of large capacity downtube battery horizontally on the frame? It wouldn't need to fold, so the QR over the hinge could be replaced with a bolt, and standard downtube battery could be mounted onto the frame, using a custom fiberglass/wood mounting point? 12"wheels, twitchier but more torque for hills than 16", even lower step over than a Brompton. I'm sure hub converterists can estimate total converted weight, if the OP ever finds one.

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/traincle.html

Here's an old ebay listing, scroll down the page for details:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265578323243

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was considering doing this myself: 11.7kg Dahon Piccolo BBS01B conversion = about 20kg. Lower step over, 16" wheels, has a reinforcement bar over the hinge like my Helios, cromo frame instead of aluminium:

https://www.cyclemotion.co.uk/worldwheels/piccolod3.htm

...inexpensive, they crop up every so often.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276351434662

A BBS01B conversion of a 9kg Presto Lite would be awesome = 18.2kg. Also has a reinforcement bar. Rare however, and the SL version with rear derailleur is even rarer. Horizontal mounting of downtube battery would be pretty easy. But perhaps the riding posture for Piccolo or Presto wouldn't be upright enough for the OP, even with swept back handlebars?

https://www.world-wheels.co.uk/prestolite.htm

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The OP wanted a bike which isn't rear heavy. The AKM128 weighs 2.8kg - unsure if it can be installed on a Brompton (135mm dropouts required), or if that would make whichever lightweight bike she got converted too rear heavy, like the OP's present rear motored and batteried Crusa is.
I don't think you would put an akm128 on a Brompton

The Crusa also has a rear rack battery which , as well as being over the rear wheel is quite high up, which changes the centre of gravity. I think this makes it much more awkward to manoeuvre when you are not riding the bike than a rear hub with downtube or in frame battery.

Is a front hub a possibility ?

If the op is 70kg I would think a 36v 18a controller would be powerful enough

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If the OP weighs only 70kgs, then the Rambletta would suit.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I need a battery to take me 20 miles and home or the ability to change batteries mid journey
I think the rambletta sounds ideal but I think it might struggle with 40 miles range. Would you be able to recharge the battery after 20 miles ? If not maybe a Rambletta with spare battery ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think the rambletta sounds ideal but I think it might struggle with 40 miles range. Would you be able to recharge the battery after 20 miles ? If not maybe a Rambletta with spare battery ?
Have you ever carried a 17ah battery on a long (20 mile) ride? I reckon that she'd be begging for mercy before she got to the end of her road.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
40 mile ride is physically testing on a full sized bike, more so on a small wheeled bike.
The good thing about the Rambletta battery is it pops out of the frame as soon as you turn the key 60 degrees, it is at easy reach, you do not have to bend down to remove it or fiddle with battery rails like a rack battery.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
BTW I wouldn't put a BBS01B on your Dahon Vitesse, not if you're going to program it for high power, because it has no hinge reinforcement.
Thanks for the tip but I've had to move to the smaller Dahon Curve and am toying with fitting an AKM 74mm motor. The fork's alloy but CH White have steel ones, only available in pink. When I get the tuits I'll start an I Wouldn't Do That IIWY thread.