Disabled cyclist; with one bad choice behind her, needs help with a new bike

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I know what I don't want (I already have that)

I need a low step through, with shedloads of power to take me not very fast, everywhere, even up hills

I needs to be light, with big wheels, suspension, very sit up and beg

In fact a complete cross between the 2 bikes I have

The crusa is too heavy and all the weight is at the back so it's unstable when I walk with it or load it on the train

The fazua is too big for me I can't get my leg over the bar and my legs aren't strong enough to register on the torque/motor

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We are selling the Fazua after he let's me know what kit is on it (any suggestions of places to list it gratefully received - not sure facebook marketplace is the best idea)
Facebook seems bargain basement, you're more likely to get market price elsewhere in my opinion. Whenever I've searched ebay for bike trailers and bikes, the bargains are usually on the other side of the country (if not the world), in the middle of nowhere with no train station nearby and no delivery offered, with the seller only accepting cash. I can certainly see why, cash is king and hard to get refunded, and big heavy things like bikes can be damaged in transit, or suffer buyer fraud ("I received an empty box!" etc.), and there's the risk of damage returning such bought items, hassle and stress. Then there are websites like Gumtree, also usually cash sales but no listing fee. This forum has a "For sale" section.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/forums/classifieds.3/

• Agree
Reactions: Katymac

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I test rode on Orbea today and was pleasantly surprised I can deal with the centre of gravity but I dont think it has enough umph for hills

It also felt very low in the road and somewhat vulnerable, the crusa is very definitely higher and more visible - prob only a few inches but my head feels above the car drivers

This shop suggested a volt, Burlington, I think which I had no energy to ride today but I'll go back and try it, I wheeled it around and although lifting would be impossible, I could see me getting it parked on on a train and the weight is between my hands not 2 ft behind me
This sounds to me like progress, and I hope you'll keep us apprised. I expect you're going to have to kiss a bunch of frogs. Let's hope a pre-made bike is perfect.

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Guerney has you on "Ignore", so he won't see your question or any of your posts past or present. He says he has me on ignore too.

Why he thinks it's ok to comment adversely on someone or their products when they cannot reply to him I don't know. To me it is very ill mannered.

I'm reporting my own post to Admin since they may have a view of the propriety of such behaviour.
The ignore function is fairly standard on most forums and while useful in some instances it can cause issues with content flow, including what you're outlining here. There is a 'show ignored content' option, so I personally think it would be common courtesy in cases like this so replies can be seen. A lot of suggestions and thoughts put forward, hope the OP has found it useful.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The ignore function is fairly standard on most forums and while useful in some instances it can cause issues with content flow, including what you're outlining here. There is a 'show ignored content' option, so I personally think it would be common courtesy in cases like this so replies can be seen. A lot of suggestions and thoughts put forward, hope the OP has found it useful.
I really like the "Ignore" feature. It helps me avoid lengthy heated unpleasant arguments with people I will never agree with, raising my blood pressure. Nobody changes anyone else's mind on forums, it's a futile waste of time trying. Every so often, I unignore people to give them another chance. If they raise my blood pressure again, they end up back on my ignore list. If it happens three times, I feel permanently ignoring them isn't unreasonable. Certain members spend put far too much time and energy into discussing politics, instead of helping people with ebike problems. I prefer not to read any of that, and certainly not on threads which are supposed to be about ebikes.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Op is pretty overwhelmed but working round what she understands and googling what she doesn't (and glossing over, not ignoring, the infighting and confusing stuff);):D:p

Reactions: HelenJ

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
This is just normal iterative requirements consolidation. Based on the client's initial brief they receive advice about practicalities and implementation proposals showing how far their brief can be met. The client revises their needs until both parties converge on an achievable solution.

Of course there's discussion but if some members slag off the efforts of others it only underlines why the UK's known to be good at innovation and poor at exploiting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katymac and flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
OK, I've analysed the problem. It comes down to the list of requirements conflicting with each other. These are the conflicts:
Longer range increases weight (battery size), which reduces portability and general handling.
Greater power increases weight (motor and battery size), which reduces portability and general handling.
Larger wheels increase weight due to size of wheels and frame), which reduces portability, etc.
Portability and general handling by a weak person requires light weight (small battery and light frame and wheels)
Foldability increases weight due to extra strength required and additional mechanisms.
Long range requires big wheels since small wheels are inefficient and uncomfortable and big wheels increases weight, reducing portability and handling.

As you can see the main conflict is between the portability/general handling requiring low weight and all the other requirements that push the weight upwards.

If I were given that deign brief, the first thing I'd be looking at is a 201 rmp Q100 motor running at 48v. All the bike components would need to be fairly high spec to reduce weight. After that the main discussion would be about compromising on the range and the importance of foldability.

Other than that, a moped has infinite range, all the power you need and doesn't need to be taken on a bus, car or train, and it would probably be cheaper all round.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Wheel size doesn't much affect weight though. Katy is happy with the size of her fazua. She only needs a bigger battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Other than that, a moped has infinite range, all the power you need and doesn't need to be taken on a bus, car or train, and it would probably be cheaper all round.
Indeed. It's why in their earlier form known as scooters (Vespa et al) they completely eliminated the add on motors for bicycles from the market.
The main reason the latter and complete pedelecs ever returned was the advent of their bureacracy free form with electric assist motors.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wheel size doesn't much affect weight though. Katy is happy with the size of her fazua. She only needs a bigger battery.
And a different type of drive motor & PAS.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And a different type of drive motor & PAS.
Doesn't her fazua have a rear hub kit?#
edit:
you are right, it has a crank drive motor and a hub gear.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think it was a bike her brother thought he would like and likely expected his sister to also like. Sounds like also he either didn't listen to her properly or ask what she actually wanted/needed from the bike.
After all being her brother one would have thought he would know a little about her health and movement issues, then builds her a bike she can't use.

No swept back bars, no step thru. Opposite to two of the main features asked on here.

• Agree
Reactions: Katymac and Woosh

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Ok, I spoke to my brother who hadn't really understood my physical limitations or maybe I hadn't explained them carefully enough

We are selling the Fazua after he let's me know what kit is on it (any suggestions of places to list it gratefully received - not sure facebook marketplace is the best idea)

I test rode on Orbea today and was pleasantly surprised I can deal with the centre of gravity but I dont think it has enough umph for hills

It also felt very low in the road and somewhat vulnerable, the crusa is very definitely higher and more visible - prob only a few inches but my head feels above the car drivers

This shop suggested a volt, Burlington, I think which I had no energy to ride today but I'll go back and try it, I wheeled it around and although lifting would be impossible, I could see me getting it parked on on a train and the weight is between my hands not 2 ft behind me
Don't know if this is available in UK, but it is about the lowest step-thru I've seen.
(YT randomly recommended)

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Isn't it step-through frames that mask the weight saving of small wheels? You mostly see them in step-through folding bikes or overbuilt BMXs.

Given that there doesn't seem much alternative to step-through, the main benefit of small wheels here is in bringing a hub motor's climbing ability closer to a crank drive's. If a hub will help enough on the steepest bit it's a lighter solution.

I don't find my 20" wheels too bad, their inefficiency is about the same as puncture resistant tyres and a soft suspension seatpost, parallelogram type, works wonders.

I cannot tilt the bike and bring it under me with pannier bags on because I can't lift my right leg that high and conversely if I use my left leg I can't stand on my right
Does it help if the leg is lifted in line with the torso? As in apply brakes, lean bike, bend elbows & bring chin towards handlebars while raising right leg behind you, ice-skating style?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think it was a bike her brother thought he would like and likely expected his sister to also like. Sounds like also he either didn't listen to her properly or ask what she actually wanted/needed from the bike.
After all being her brother one would have thought he would know a little about her health and movement issues, then builds her a bike she can't use.

No swept back bars, no step thru. Opposite to two of the main features asked on here.
When my sister asked for an electric bike, I took her to Woosh and bought the Rambletta. She just leaves it on level 5 and uses it like a moped, but she doesn't go far and doesn't have to lift it. She's 74 years old.

Reactions: MikelBikel

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not a practical suggestion because of the cost, but to show a solution for the OP isn't impossible: If money was no object, this custom built Titanium framed bike weighs "about 39lbs" = 17.68kg even with a Bosch mid-drive system and what looks like a 500Wh battery. A Bafang mid-drive motor system would weigh about the same, and a hub drive custom Titanium step through can be made even lighter. But no suspension (Redshift Shockstop and suspension seatpost?) or mudguards.

I'm sure a lower custom titanium step through could be specified than this, no doubt adding a little more weight.

Last edited:

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
This is just normal iterative requirements consolidation. Based on the client's initial brief they receive advice about practicalities and implementation proposals showing how far their brief can be met. The client revises their needs until both parties converge on an achievable solution.

Of course there's discussion but if some members slag off the efforts of others it only underlines why the UK's known to be good at innovation and poor at exploiting it.
Totally, and I'm trained as a systems analyst so I know the feedback loop works within design

I'm doing currently with an awning for my caravan as well as this bike (& oddly enough an adjustable dress)

& I'll keep poking until I can work out what fits