Disappointed in Scott

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how can you do 120rpm without a dongle? and why is the speed not listed?

the faster i go the less i get power wise and over 29mph id say it is doing bugger all to push me even faster.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The Brose bikes do look good, but I think Bosch have upped their game this year with the PowerTube, so they'll be able to compete on the aesthetics side of things. Also remember, its not just looks that are important on an ebike.

how good do these look!!

But anyway yes, if I can help OnBike help this customer I hope everyone will be happy :)
Hi KTM, it would be helpful if you published the reference to this graph. For the engineering types , graphs like these are a gateway drug, and as an academic, I would say that not to reveal sources is plagiarism. I can see that d8veh is already drooling..
The term drezhal refers only to revs per minute .. but of what? The crank, the motor, the rear hub....remember that the crank in the Bosch goes 2.5 times normal

D

Deleted member 4366

You and I can agree, that Bosch motors put out power at 119 rpm yes... its not possible for me to measure that power, because my power crank doesn't fit on an ISIS bb, (but it is considerably more than I can put out, so yes I think 400w is about right) does that power fall off once you get past 120 rpm... yes. So does this graph look right to me. Yes it does.
Sorry, Colin, that's absolute rubbish.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
Back on topic, it's been a week since my post I have emailed dealer again today for an update (heard nothing for a couple of days :() seems a mudguard is on it's way to the dealer for evaluation.
I installed a machine in the Dominican Republic last year and it is a fact that time does slo................w dow...........n .
Hope it's not the same in Yorkshire next week or i will never get a bloody mudguard before the Winter sets in

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I have a Bosch cx motor fully deristricted and at a cadence of 110 it is doing 32mph and still providing good power.
The Yamaha motor at the same cadence fades the power out completely.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Gubbins
how can you do 120rpm without a dongle? and why is the speed not listed?

the faster i go the less i get power wise and over 29mph id say it is doing bugger all to push me even faster.
you do realise that cadance (ie crank rotation speed) is not related to actual speed?

Look at the guys in the tour yesterday, they'd have been spinning at 110ish up that climb and probably doing about 9mph. You don't have to be going fast to do a high cadance, you just have to have the gears to allow it.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ
Hi KTM, it would be helpful if you published the reference to this graph. For the engineering types , graphs like these are a gateway drug, and as an academic, I would say that not to reveal sources is plagiarism. I can see that d8veh is already drooling..
The term drezhal refers only to revs per minute .. but of what? The crank, the motor, the rear hub....remember that the crank in the Bosch goes 2.5 times normal
i do see your point, but one of my pet hates about this forum is that it goes into too much detail and the actual point is lost. This graph is exactly the point. Its of course talking about crank cadance, I didn't think that needed explaining. I was simply trying to show what is generally agreed about the benefits and problems with certain motors (ie you have to spin the cranks pretty fast to get them giving the most assistance) using a graph that I was sent by a dealer who got it from Germany. I'll see if I can find the source to satisfy you guys.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
According to Google images - It first turned up in this thread

But I'm sure it was posted before then here...

https://www.emtb-mag.com/forum/threads/consiglio-per-prima-emtb.1197/

Last edited:

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Getting the right bike is more important than which motor its got. All the modern motors are good.

What's more important is the bike and the retailer. Get them right and you'll be happy no matter which motor you have.
The motor seems a pretty important part of an E-Bike, would you also say the Impulse motor on the Kalhoff Bikes is good?

Reactions: Deleted member 4366

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The motor seems a pretty important part of an E-Bike, would you also say the Impulse motor on the Kalhoff Bikes is good?
It would not normally be appropriate for a vendor of a competing product to answer such a question in an open forum

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
According to Google images - It first turned up in this thread

But I'm sure it was posted before then here...

https://www.emtb-mag.com/forum/threads/consiglio-per-prima-emtb.1197/
Thanks , but that raises only more questions, in languages unknown. . The types of questions would be are these the electronically controlled power outputs or the native outputs from an unregulated motor, where and what is being measured, what was the accuracy and resolution of the measuring equipment . I am assuming that it is an electronically regulated output and the speed is the crank speed of the pedals, but you know what they say about assumptions?

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
It would not normally be appropriate for a vendor of a competing product to answer such a question in an open forum
I get your point, so what's your view on it, are all motors good or is that thread on the Impulse motor not relevant to what KTM said, that basically all motors are good, I mean I wouldn't want people reading that one point then buying a dud e-bike, indeed, is it appropriate for a vendor to say all motors are good when they know one isn't (potentially) good.

What do you think?

P.S. Yes maybe it's a poor question

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I get your point, so what's your view on it, are all motors good or is that thread on the Impulse motor not relevant to what KTM said, that basically all motors are good, I mean I wouldn't want people reading that one point then buying a dud e-bike, indeed, is it appropriate for a vendor to say all motors are good when they know one isn't (potentially) good.

What do you think?

P.S. Yes maybe it's a poor question
Well since I am not in the trade, I would be free to express an opinion, however the only information I have on that product has come from the postings here. I don't think I have ever seen the product in question, so my opinion could have no value.
As a more general point, I doubt whether any manufacturer deliberately puts dud product on the market. They may put product out and hype its performance to a crazy extent, or they may put out product with latent defects, but dud product no.

... Mind you I worked in a medical devices company so standards might be different,
I do recall one incidence however where I got a dishonest product, at a openair stall. This was one of those everlasting torchlights where a lump of metal skidding inside a shaft claimed to induce current in a led. .. I got it with the intention of using it in a class room demo. I was disappointed to find that it was a hoax, and the light came from a battery and a. Trembling switch. There was a coil and a lump of metal but the coil was disconnected!

Reactions: Mal69

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Well since I am not in the trade, I would be free to express an opinion, however the only information I have on that product has come from the postings here. I don't think I have ever seen the product in question, so my opinion could have no value.
As a more general point, I doubt whether any manufacturer deliberately puts dud product on the market. They may put product out and hype its performance to a crazy extent, or they may put out product with latent defects, but dud product no.

... Mind you I worked in a medical devices company so standards might be different,
I do recall one incidence however where I got a dishonest product, at a openair stall. This was one of those everlasting torchlights where a lump of metal skidding inside a shaft claimed to induce current in a led. .. I got it with the intention of using it in a class room demo. I was disappointed to find that it was a hoax, and the light came from a battery and a. Trembling switch. There was a coil and a lump of metal but the coil was disconnected!
Sorry for quoting whole post, it's late.

Dud may be too strong a word, maybe more defective units and that has built up a bad rep on forums like this, people sometimes come to these forums and will avoid Impulse motors because they have had their fair share of bad press and a greater reported failure rate than the competition.