Disc brake caliper dimensions

sjmather

Just Joined
May 23, 2020
I recently bought a Cyclotricity front wheel hub for my Boardman Hybrid. The problem is that the spokes on the e-wheel rub on my disc brake caliper (see picture). A narrower caliper would (hopefully) solve the problem. Google found me some narrow Alhonga calipers designed (I think) for this purpose but they are only available in the US. Is anyone aware of particularly narrow calipers available in the UK?

Attachments

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Does the disc rotor line up with the slot in the caliper? - hard to tell from your photo, but it looks a bit off.

You could try adding a washer or two to the axle until the spokes clear the caliper AND the rotor lines up.
(You may need help to spring the forks depending on how tight the motor is between them).

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I agree with laser man (and thats not because I’m the go to laser welder at work:p)
In your picture It looks like, With a disc Fitted It could even rub against the fork leg :eek:

sjmather

Just Joined
May 23, 2020
No, the (140mm) disc fits OK, however I tried a larger disc and that did rub against the forks. I could try the extra washers solution but I'd have to move the disc out somehow as well??

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can get disc rotor spacers.

sjmather

Just Joined
May 23, 2020
Does the disc rotor line up with the slot in the caliper? - hard to tell from your photo, but it looks a bit off.

You could try adding a washer or two to the axle until the spokes clear the caliper AND the rotor lines up.
(You may need help to spring the forks depending on how tight the motor is between them).
Just wanted to thank you for this excellent suggestion. After buying the right size washers it worked a treat.