Discrimination against bicycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Right at the end of today's BBC's "You and Yours" program on Radio 4 was a mention of a woman getting in touch. She'd apparently been refused a takewaway in a "Drive Through" because she was on a bike. No more details given, but it reminded me of a newly set up golf course and club here that had a sign on the gate welcoming people to visit for afterrnoon teas but with a no bicycles provision and a street sign on the entrance road saying No Cycling. We kicked up a fuss here and got that changed, but do you have any other examples of this sort of discrimination against cycling?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Perhaps the "Drive Through" opted for a lower insurance premium because hungry drivers crush cyclists more often. Like supermarket car parks, those are private roads and the owners can design and restrict them any way they want, and they tend to be very unsafely designed compared to the highway - a friend on foot, had his foot crushed by a SUV, then sued the driver. It happened in a in a badly planned supermarket car park. There are now plates in his foot all over the place. Perhaps keeping cyclists out of such badly designed car parks and/or driveways is a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnocyprus

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I visit a very good private business farm shop on my bike but there is nowhere designated to leave my bike or anything to lock it to unlike Waitrose and Salisbury where there is.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
McDonalds have a policy of not serving cyclists (or horses!) at their driver thru, apparently for safety reasons. Yet theyll happily serve me if I roll through on my motorbike. In terms of safety, I fail to see the diffrence - the risks, if any, must surely be identical.

Socoety in general discriminates wholesale towrds cyclists. We cause the least pollution, the least environmental damage, the least death and danger the least congestion, but our reward is to have virtually nowhere dedicated, or at least built with us in mind, to ride on the road, poor parking facilities, etc.

Pollute the air, clog up the cities, kill 8 or 10 innocent people a day and theyll build huge expensive roads for you to drive on and hundreds of square miles of car parks for you to abandon your tinbox-danger-pollution machine while you walk 6 feet to the pie shop.

The world is F'd up, because the people who do the most damage, cause the most polltion, and who kill the most innocents, are afforded a disproprotionaly huge influence at every level of the problem. 5he car has killed more people than the bomb or the gun, yet loom how society bends over backearde to accommodate it.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

16th September 2018 “However, we take property theft extremely seriously and will always assist police investigations by sharing our CCTV footage if requested"

6th July 2019 “They told him bikes are left at the owner’s risk and it is nothing to do with him."

• Informative

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Socoety in general discriminates wholesale towrds cyclists.
Society in general discriminates wholesale towards two-wheelers.

They're a bit poor, can't afford a car you know. Quite a few of them wear weird gear. And I always have to slow down for them to overtake. Why aren't they on the cycle path? Tossers, cyclists are.
Anyway, just off to the golf course for a bit of exercise. Cheers...

Surf_Wonder

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2020
I was refused service whilst on my bike at the drive through Burger King in Eastgate Ratail Park a month ago , but had no such problems with the McDonalds on Fishponds Road :-/

• Informative

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
For me, fortunately, it's not an issue as the nearest McD's is a 30 mile round journey away. Doesn't stop the packaging ending up in the hedgerows though - what is wrong with people?
Here's a contentious thought. Put a 50% junk food tax on all take aways packaged in plastic, with the money ring fenced for clearing up what the lazy can't be arsed to take home. Reduce rubbish and improve diet and lessen polution all in one hit.:cool:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I doubt if I have visited one now for 20 years and tbh will never use one again, horrible junk food and they have an audacity to call them restaurants.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
For me, fortunately, it's not an issue as the nearest McD's is a 30 mile round journey away. Doesn't stop the packaging ending up in the hedgerows though - what is wrong with people?
Here's a contentious thought. Put a 50% junk food tax on all take aways packaged in plastic, with the money ring fenced for clearing up what the lazy can't be arsed to take home. Reduce rubbish and improve diet and lessen polution all in one hit.:cool:
Refundable in part if the rubbish is returned to McD's or whoever. Part is pollution tax which should apply whether returned or not, part is refundable rubbish tax. Of course, a bit of extra paperwork, but mild in comparison to Brexit.

Reactions: Benjahmin and flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Interesting. I haven't been to a McD since at least 20 years ago, and that was only because the kids on the school trip wouldn't eat foreign food.

When I was younger, I used to like KFC. A couple of years ago, they had an advert on TV showing sticky barbecue chicken with a special discount that got my mouth watering, so I went to one the next day to get it. Guess what? They didn't have it. They said they had sold out, but it was 10:00am. I'm guessing that they couldn't make as much profit on it so chose not to cook it while the discount was on. So, they blew their big chance to get me back as a regular customer.

I can't say that I've ever had any discrimination as a cyclist apart from the normal arrogant drivers.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
At the time when McD was first came to our town, a work colleague was asking what McD was like. My response, it is the sort of place that makes a Wimpy Bar look like a luxury restaurant.
Can not remember being discrimated against as a cyclist particularly, in fact on one or two occasions when we have arrived at some tourist attraction, we have been welcomed and offered half price tickets for going green.
The funniest occasion was when we were going to a local picnic/Son & Lumiere for a charity show. Long drive way to the big mansion where it was being held. A long line of chelsea tractors along this drive. We past them on our bikes. Got a few odd looks. When it came to the picnic, some had table and chairs, gas coookers, candlesticks etc. We opened our box of sandwiches. Quite entertaining the looks we got.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and richtea99

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Glass strewn across cycle paths that run alongside roads and have quite obviously been thrown from vehicles. Just wondering if these same wanna be brain surgeons are the ones driving on green grassed areas to marvel at the marks and mess the tyres leave behind.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
See, he isn't wraring a helmet. The furious doomsayers will be frothing with righteous anger at that.è
Well, he wasn't wearing a helmet, and look what happened to him in the end. Just shows you can't be too careful.