Discrimination against bicycles

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
Was refused entry to our local tip - sorry, 'recycling centre' - last year when trying to drop off a load of cardboard. 'Health and safety' is what the man said. Apparently it's healthier and safer to join the hour-long queue of idling SUVs than it is to ride in on a cargo bike.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Was refused entry to our local tip - sorry, 'recycling centre' - last year when trying to drop off a load of cardboard. 'Health and safety' is what the man said. Apparently it's healthier and safer to join the hour-long queue of idling SUVs than it is to ride in on a cargo bike.
Yet that same tip is full of staff wandering about on foot, and the public meandering blindly all over the places as they dump their tat.

Perhaps demand a rebate on your council tax as they're preventing you accessing the services for which youve paid for and are entitled?

Reactions: Peddlin' Pedro

Surf_Wonder

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2020
Interesting to know where?:oops: I know from experience @ St Philips Household Waste Recycling Centre I didn't have problems and was informed cyclists with trailers get to jump the queue (I had my recycling in my trailer).

That being said an acquaintance phoned the same place to ask and they had told her 'no' - the difference was that her bike wasn't an ebike, so I wander if that was a factor or maybe it was that I was already there...

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That really is ridiculous. I recycled to the council depot for many years by bikes and trailer for myself and 53 neighbours since we had no recycling collection service:

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
Yet that same tip is full of staff wandering about on foot, and the public meandering blindly all over the places as they dump their tat.

Perhaps demand a rebate on your council tax as they're preventing you accessing the services for which youve paid for and are entitled?
It's Horsham, West Sussex, managed by Viridor on behalf of West Sussex County Council. When I called to challenge the restriction I was asked to send an email. It's on a long list of other stuff to do. This is the same county council who decided to close the tip for two days every week, reduced opening hours on days when it is actually open and then complain about rising levels of fly-tipping. I don't expect a particularly enlightened response

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
They did that where I live. In order to save money the council have ceased collecting large items for free, and now charge £36 - a big jump from £00.00.

Of course, few people pay this and instead they're dumping their sheet hither and thiver. Instead of having it neatly left for collection on a pre-arranged day its being scattered in ditches and the like, costing far, far more to collect and dispose of.

Mind you, this is the same council that paints a yellow circle around pothols, and then leave the potholes to grow so large that all traces of the yellow paint to get swallowed up and obliterated. Thats at least one employee right there who would be better utilised by putting his spray can aside and doing something productive.

D

Deleted member 33385

That really is ridiculous. I recycled to the council depot for many years by bikes and trailer for myself and 53 neighbours since we had no recycling collection service:

There's that awesome self-built trailer of yours again flecc! That you've hopefully bequeathed to me, in your newly rewritten will.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Oh well, "Horsham" says it all. That is my nearest tip and I hate trying to go there. Enormous queues because of the 2 days closed policy. I have seen the queue backing out as far as the road making it difficult for buses to get into the park and ride.
As an aside, I remember how proud Horsham were of their first cycle track to encourage cycling and keep them away from traffic. All 20 yards of it, and that was all we had for quite a few years. Also, when London got its Congestion Zone for vehicles to keep them out of the city. Horsham council thought that a good idea and produced a plan for the town. Make people use the car parks. But, as someone pointed out, the car parks are inside your congestion zone.
Say no more.

• :D
Reactions: flecc