DIY Battery Box

Kyle Black Forest

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2018
Going to start a thread for my latest project, the main reason I am doing this is to track my progress and share the developments.

I am extremely happy with my bike, I have rode it now for years with absolutely no trouble, I do carry out regular maintenance so that is definitely a contributing factor to trouble free e-biking (I find).

Anyway the one thing that I’ve always wanted to do was to create a box to fit in the frame of my bike that will house 2 x battery’s and a controller, currently I carry one battery held in a Roswheel bag attached to the top frame, the controller is tied to the lower part of the frame and could definitely look better.

I have started to make the prototype for my box today, I will update on a regular basis with any progress made.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The mock up out of card is always a good idea, what materials are you going to use.
Watching with interest as I am thinking of a similar task, probably out of polyester grp strong and lightweight.

Kyle Black Forest

Sep 27, 2018
The mock up out of card is always a good idea, what materials are you going to use.
Watching with interest as I am thinking of a similar task, probably out of polyester grp strong and lightweight.
I am not exactly sure as of yet, the plan so far is to make out of cardboard, ensure I can mount it easily, it is comfortable, fits everything in and then I will look at a permanent aesthetically pleasing version.

I work at a place that has the capabilities of UV curing a product called Feyco, it is a liquid that is applied to cardboard and then sets rock solid, waterproof etc. That may be an option?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like a very handy option.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My idea is to make the mock up like you, lay matting internally on a greaseproof paper lining where the face inside will be the finish ext face. Once the mould is removed the gp paper is easily peeled off leaving a ultra flat/ smooth finish with no need for a very fine mesh layer.
The frame fitting a plastic tube cut in half with correct radius of the bike frame to use as a mould , then use some push fit ' W ' buttons to affix the frame box to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When I start mine, I will add the process to the Roadrat build.

Kyle Black Forest

Sep 27, 2018
Looking at what’s the best way to layout the batteries bearing in mind i still have to fit the controller and 2 x portable phone chargers.
I am going to get my bike out now and check if this cardboard design actually fits and measure my controller.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That is one size controller, the shelves for the packs to sit on is a must I think.
Now all you have to decide is to make it for real.

Kyle Black Forest

Sep 27, 2018
Final layout confirmed, the two yellow blocks represent the portable chargers, I will surface mount two female USB ports to the top of the housing and connect to the chargers inside for a neater finish, I am thinking to get some very thin sheet aluminium and reproduce from that tomorrow, I would make a net and fold then weld the seams.
Not sure yet???

Attachments

Lucifer656

Banned
May 1, 2020

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
:eek: Blimey Plagiarism on the forum, I thought I had posted under an alias.
Not a very original post.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Aluminium welding not one for me Kyle, I shall stick with the tried and tested Grp process and a rattle can or two for colour matching to my bike.

Reactions: Kyle Black Forest

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The last one to post his finish design on here was d8veh a about three years ago where he made them for his Rocky Mountains, one in Green and the other in Maple Leaf motif to match the bike perfectly, before him Amigafan used to show his striking end results

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH