DIY front light

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
While I'm waiting for my motor kit and battery to arrive I thought I'd have a look at some lighting for my bike. After picking myself up off the floor when presented with some of the prices for the really bright bike lights I decided to have a go at my own.

I obtained a 12v MR16 LED sealed bulb with an output equivalent to 35w and set about building something around it. I decided to mount it in the cut off end of a bathroom/kitchen sealant tube, the stuff you can get at all DIY stores. The MR16 was an almost exact fit, just a touch smaller in diameter....to seal the other end I hunted through our selection of aerosol cans under the sink for a suitable lid and found one that fitted snugly.

Next I had to think about power and mounting. Mounting was achieved by modifying a Halfords universal light mount kit:

I replaced the single M3 mounting screw with a longer 20mm one and used that as the main mount on to the sealant tube. To make it more secure I removed the small red release clip and inserted a second M3 screw, see pics.

For power I went for a 10 pack of AA Hybrid cells from Maplin, rated at 2100mAh they should last for 8~10hrs based on the 200mA draw I measured. These Hybrid cells are interesting as they have a very long shelf life retaining far more charge than NiMH or Nicad plus they work well in low temperatures, are green and have a 1000 charge life.

I placed a switch on the back of the light and housed the battery pack in my rear rack bag. The MR16 was glued in using the silicon sealant as was the end cap.

All in all the results a very good, I just need to wrap some tape around the tube or maybe paint it. The light is bright' and shows up the road well, I just need to take some pictures...here's some of the construction:

Bulb, tube end cap and mounting...the tube is 10cm long:

Here's the top mount from the Halfords bracket, the captive lock nut needs to remain in place when the new 20mm M3 screw is used as this controls the tension and security of the mount for positioning purposes:

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The gap where the red release lever was fitted is replaced with another M3 screw fitted with a nut right at the head:

This all then bolts together neatly after drilling a couple of holes in the tube:

Then the rest of the bracket can be attached:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The end cap was drilled for the on-off switch which was made water proof with a toggle cover....all parts from Maplins:

I then drilled a hole off center in the tube for the wire, and then tied a knot in the wire to secure it:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I then soldered the bulb and switch and glued the bulb and end cap on:

I made up the battery pack and used a mono 3.5mm jack and socket to provide a connection point in the rack bag:

The completed light:

Will post what it looks like mounted a bit later.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well done, an ingenious way of using scrap and very low cost components to make a neat compact lamp which is also largely shockproof. Those Maplin switches and waterproof covers are ideal for our use on bikes out in all weathers.

Your lamp is certainly good enough to deserve a spray finish from an aerosol can, maybe in a colour to match the bike.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I really like to see your work. Thank you for sharing !! :)
Keep it up ! Cheers, Dan

felix

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2008
Great post NRG, I fancy making one myself. Where did you get the LED from?

cheers,
Mike

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thank you for the positive comments! I tried the light out tonight and I'm impressed with the coverage. I bought the bulb from bltdirect.com. They seem to ship very promptly and the prices seem fair enough.

Here's a shot I took tonight, the camera doesn't convey how much coverage the light has in the flesh, it extends by at least 4 more feet infront of the bike...

Last edited:

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Excellent work. What a neat idea :)

Vikki.

LazyViking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2009
Tip: Use tool batteries

Hi,

Instead of using all those AA batteries, I can recommend using 12V tool batteries. Much easier to put on charge.

I have a setup using a 35W HID car lamp and two tool batteries. This turns night into day. It cost around £200 and is much brighter than any bike lights out there. Obviously it's a bit bulky and looks stupid, but nobody sees that because they are blended by it's light....

There are forums that just deal with bicycle lighting. See here: Bicycle - CandlePowerForums

A 3W LED lamp makes a very nice bike for general use. I bought an 3W MR11 LED bulb on ebay and mounted it in an old bicycle lamp.

--John

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Blimey that *is* bright! The light I made came in at about £38....I'm happy to keep the cost down! Tool batteries can weigh a bit though so I'm happy with this but thanks for the links and recommendation I'll check it out...

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
DealExtreme have some nifty bits for mounting your own custom light to your handlebars: DealExtreme: Search for gun rail mount (196 products in 51 categories)
I got some 25mm mounts for putting the 'brains' of my lighting etup on my bike, the box will house the voltage regulators + control chips + numerous connectors for the lights, with a separate switch box right next to the left grip so I can operate the lights real easy.

Instead of using tool batteries, just hook into the bike's own battery :D that's what I've done for my current setup and for my future setup:

Still slow progress, got a new bike battery this week and so really want to finish everything soon for some long night rides, but finding time to tinker is real difficult right now.

I really dislike the spotlight effect of a lot of bike light systems out there, which is why I'm building mine using 3mm LEDs because they produce a really nice beamspread.

Tried to join the CandlePower forum place but none of my 3 completely different email addresses were accepted for registration, they were all apparently flagged for some reason, even tried contacting the admins but got nowhere - from what I can gather they're a bit of a snobbery bunch of people.

Last edited:

LazyViking

Mar 4, 2009
Running off bike batteries

Well it would be really nice to run off my Agattu batteries, but I wouldn't know where to start converting the 24V to 12V, providing ca. 3A for the 35W bulb.

Does anyone know how to do this in a relatively easy way?

my.motion

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2009
I wouldn't buy from DealXtreme

thease all look grate, i have been thinking about baking some light my self
i quite like the look of these dropins DealExtreme: $25.50 5*Cree P4-WC 5-Mode 800-Lumen White Light Drop-in LED Module (52.7mm*42mm/8.4V Max).
though i had not thought about the the idea of a tool battery that's such a good call. how long are you getting from a charge?
I have ordered acouple of lights from the website but haven't received anything from them. I ordered since September, they are not responding to my emails and I have now raised a dispute with paypal

LazyViking

Mar 4, 2009
Burn time

Using my 35W HID light I only get about 15-20 minutes of light per battery.

With a 3W LED (which gives plenty of light) you will get (theoretically) 4 hours of light from a 1Ah 12V tool battery.

Thanks for the tip about the 24-12V transformer. I've looked at those before and found nothing above 1A. I'll buy one on ebay with 12A now and have some fun! I have 3 batteries for my Agattu so I have plenty of power to play with.

--LazyViking

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Re: I wouldn't buy from DealXtreme

DealExtreme has great prices but as you've found out, their delivery times make Royal Mail look like saints, which is to be expected due to their cheap prices, especially at this time of year when people will be buying lots for christmas presents etc.

3amp at 12v, 36 watts for a bike front light! cripes! my new front light will only draw 10.2watts with all 300 LEDs on, the rear light will draw 2 watts continuously as all 17 LEDs will be on whenever any of the lights are turned on.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
My DIY bike light has given good service over the last two years and I thought is was time for an upgrade seeing as the cost of MR16 bulbs have come down in price....so I've gone from:

to:

The pic doesn't really show how much better the bulb is but in the flesh as it where its a great improvement though and the beam narrower at 45 vs 60 deg. I went for one of these £11 9W 12v 3 LED bulbs off Amazon.co.uk...

Probably doesn't make sense these days to make your own light given the really good lights now available off Ebay for around £35 but this was a good upgrade...