DIY Halogen Lights

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I've decided I need to get new lights - it was dark when I left for work this morning, and a lot of my journey is on unlit roads... Have you tried the P7 Lenser torches out on unlit roads at night yet? How were they?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Cateye EL610 Signle shot Plus, or the Cateye R2/R3 lights?

Cheers,

Howard
Not managed to get out at night yet Howard. I will endeavor to get some pictures of the lights in action as soon as I can (likely to be Tomorrow night). I'm in no doubt that these lights will rock on unlit lanes but will give feedback as soon as I can

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
I've tried the MR16 light route now, 3 12v in series from my bike supply. the internal rectifier works from 12v DC without reference to polarity, .ie. both ways. The problem is even with 3 MR16 lamps you get a lot of light up close but the standard 60 degree lamps don't penetrate far enough ahead. There's no need for e-bay as they are now available in the UK from electrical wholesalers under the Crompton brand.
Search for Cree bicycle lights on e-bay and there are at least 2 I have found. I've got a £4.99 version It works well for long range ( 30 /40 yards) and has a short range spillage area of low intensity. Try shoujigift@gmail.com
These lamps use 3 AAA batteries they don't last very long, about 3 hours on full, but the best bike lights come with remote packs.
There is a more expensive focusable light, £19.99, this uses a remote 3 AA battery pack.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hmmmm. I hadn't seen the Cree Bike Lights on Ebay. Maybe worth a punt at £33 delivered. Does anyone have experience / thoughts on these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-200-Lumens-CREE-Q5-LED-Zoom-Bike-Bicycle-Light-Z200_W0QQitemZ380063899948QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380063899948&_trkparms=72:12|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Sorry. Don't know how to post a link properly. As Andrew has already kindly pointed out, if you search "Cree Bike Lights" on Ebay, you will find them.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Hmmmm. I hadn't seen the Cree Bike Lights on Ebay. Maybe worth a punt at £33 delivered. Does anyone have experience / thoughts on these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-200-Lumens-CREE-Q5-LED-Zoom-Bike-Bicycle-Light-Z200_W0QQitemZ380063899948QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380063899948&_trkparms=72:12|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
This is essentially Identical to the P7 lenser torches I got though I think they are overstating the lumens slightly. That said it will still be bloody bright.

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I will be interested to hear what you think of the light and also if you are charged any import duty. I have been stung a couple of times in the past when buying items from the US.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I've tried the MR16 light route now, 3 12v in series from my bike supply. the internal rectifier works from 12v DC without reference to polarity, .ie. both ways. The problem is even with 3 MR16 lamps you get a lot of light up close but the standard 60 degree lamps don't penetrate far enough ahead.
You can get spot light versions of MR16. Mine are 25 degree spots which work well. Better to use two and a regulator rather than three as otherwise they could get dim as the battery voltage drops.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Last edited:

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
[I've tried the MR16 light route now, 3 12v in series from my bike supply. the internal rectifier works from 12v DC without reference to polarity, .ie. both ways. The problem is even with 3 MR16 lamps you get a lot of light up close but the standard 60 degree lamps don't penetrate far enough ahead. There's no need for e-bay as they are now available in the UK from electrical wholesalers under the Crompton brand.
Search for Cree bicycle lights on e-bay and there are at least 2 I have found. I've got a £4.99 version It works well for long range ( 30 /40 yards) and has a short range spillage area of low intensity. Try shoujigift@gmail.com
These lamps use 3 AAA batteries they don't last very long, about 3 hours on full, but the best bike lights come with remote packs.
There is a more expensive focusable light, £19.99, this uses a remote 3 AA battery pack.

QUOTE=john;36462]You can get spot light versions of MR16. Mine are 25 degree spots which work well. Better to use two and a regulator rather than three as otherwise they could get dim as the battery voltage drops.[/QUOTE]

Still have not got far with this. However 60 degree lights would be hopeless and dangerous for oncoming cars. I am using a 24 and a 10 degree bulb. The piece I am waiting for is a digital light controller, this allows 2 bulbs to be used at different voltages and to overvolt as you need.

Having palyed a bit with this, the MR16 spot bulbs are great, especially the high efficiency ones like the IRC bulbs. Most bikes use MR11 but the MR16s are better due to the bigger reflectors. I wish I could find a 17 degree MR16 bulb but have not found one yet.

BM.

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
I've decided I need to get new lights - it was dark when I left for work this morning, and a lot of my journey is on unlit roads... Have you tried the P7 Lenser torches out on unlit roads at night yet? How were they?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Cateye EL610 Signle shot Plus, or the Cateye R2/R3 lights?

Cheers,

Howard
Here are some photos of two P7 LED lensers attached to my electric Kinesis framed bike. It is a pitch black country lane.

Both lights focused for spot

Both lights focused for flood

One light spot, one light flood

One spot, one flood on my driveway

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
The CREE lights can be bought for much less from here....

DealExtreme: Cree Lights (Page 1)

I'm going to order a couple for winter, at these prices and with a few mounts I can swap them between bikes.

It's just a case of choosing which ones !

Edit

Right I've gone for just one and two mounts.

DealExtreme: $23.00 WF-400 3W Cree Q2 LED Flashlight (18650)

I'll give you a review when it arrives, inc delivery it was £15 give or take a few pence.
Just an update, I have the torch, battery x2 (called an 18650 and is lithium) and a charger.

I'd find it difficult to imagine that there would be many people who would need anything brighter.

The torch is incredibly bright, produces a focused spot and a fair spread of brilliant white light. Quaiity is similar to what you would find in a Maglite.

I'd liken the power to that of a single front fog lamp fitted to a car.

With two batteries and a charger I have a fraction over £25 invested in this and with two batteries and mounts it will be swapped between my two bikes.

For an extra £10 I may order a second for after dark MTB trails.

Downside is that charging the 18650 battery is very slow 12hrs+ from empty to full but is acceptable when done overnight.

On full power 2hrs and it'll be out, on low power I haven't found the limit yet, I like full power :D

It does not flash.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks for that update, i was wondering how you got on. Sounds like you have made a good purchase there. Did you get stung for any import tax?

I have ordered an Airbike Everlight. Supposedly 670 lumens output, but it has cost me £105, 4x as much as you have paid so probably not such ggod value.

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
Here are some photos of two P7 LED lensers attached to my electric Kinesis framed bike. It is a pitch black country lane.
Hi Citrus
Thanks very much for posting those pictures. I ended up going for one P7 Lenser, which is doing quite a good job. I'll probably get a second one at some point, but it's definitely dong the job for the moment. Thanks for the help!
Cheers,
Howard

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
Which mounts

SEATALTEA;36417 Right I've gone for just one and two mounts. [url=http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6937 said:
DealExtreme: $23.00 WF-400 3W Cree Q2 LED Flashlight (18650)[/url]

I'll give you a review when it arrives, inc delivery it was £15 give or take a few pence.
Derrick - Llanberis

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
Having done a fair bit of off-road cycling after dark, I can highly recommend a head torch as part of your lighting setup, even if on (unlit) roads. I used to use a twin halogen lamp 5w/15w bike light on a custom bracket mounted to the front of my helmet with a NiCd battery pack on the bike frame. This was very effective but probably looked a bit foolish if anyone could see me.

At night there are times when you need to look at things that may not be directly in the beam of your bike lights. With a head torch, you have light wherever you look. This is especially useful for rough tracks. Also, you can do puncture repairs etc with both hands free. There are some really bright LED headlamps available now that run off AA or AAA batteries so are not too heavy or bulky. I currently use a Petzl Myo XP (Petzl Headlamps - High-Power headlamps MYO XP)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Having done a fair bit of off-road cycling after dark, I can highly recommend a head torch as part of your lighting setup, even if on (unlit) roads. I used to use a twin halogen lamp 5w/15w bike light on a custom bracket mounted to the front of my helmet with a NiCd battery pack on the bike frame. This was very effective but probably looked a bit foolish if anyone could see me.

At night there are times when you need to look at things that may not be directly in the beam of your bike lights. With a head torch, you have light wherever you look. This is especially useful for rough tracks. Also, you can do puncture repairs etc with both hands free. There are some really bright LED headlamps available now that run off AA or AAA batteries so are not too heavy or bulky. I currently use a Petzl Myo XP (Petzl Headlamps - High-Power headlamps MYO XP)
I can vouch for this now. I was going to buy an expensive light but instead tried adding one of these and found it made the world of difference, especially repairing a puncture in the middle of an unlit Greenwich park.
Energizer®++ Products . Flashlights . Outdoor scroll down to the headlight x 6, it also doubles up as a backup rear light if that fails. £15 saved me a lot more on a pro light setup - for the moment.