DIY Halogen Lights

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
just opened mine and wow. Cant wait unil its properly dark to go out and give them a try. I really lke the way you can adjust the beam width. I wil use the nearside on wide and have the offside one on tight focus so as not to blind motorists. You know when you have a good light when the guy wrote not to shine it in your eyes on the receipt :)

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi all,
I got a additional bike torch from my bookclub at work.
Only cost £5.

21 LEDs, ULTRA Bright, visible over a MILE
Made by Aluminium, high durability
Water-resistance design, can be used in rainny day
Portable bicycle clamp, easy to lock and unlock
Operated by 3 x AAA batteries
Compact size 10cm x 3cm (dia.)
Over 100 lumens intensity.
20 feet range at 100%.

Bought 2 of them cus they were soooo cheap.

Here is the same product on the internet.
Just Buy Now -- Online Shopping Centre - 21 LED Flashlight Torch+Bicycle Clamp+Holster

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
And did you just!

One of the more popular current threads, maybe you should have these doubts more often. :D
Its a hot subject this time of year when our thoughts turn to winter. its also the first winter for most kalhoff owners too, so most will be thinking about supplementary lights.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Its a hot subject this time of year when our thoughts turn to winter. its also the first winter for most kalhoff owners too, so most will be thinking about supplementary lights.
My main worry is the performance of these new Panasonic Lithium Batteries in the cold :confused:

John

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Well after much consideration i'm only going to have to worry about the performance of my legs as i'll no longer have an e-bike. My new job starts on the 15th and ive been riding a felt QX75 for the last two weeks in an effort to get some real fitness work in. im up to 20 miles now although i'm no where near as fast round as i am on the agattu.

with new work being 50 miles return, i cant see the point in retaining the agattu. my wife has stopped using hers too!

A woman at my old work has first refusal but if she decides not to buy then both my wifes and my bike will be offered for saleon here prior to ebay if all else fails

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Congrats on the new Job Paul, and also on the improving fitness. My workplace is only 11 miles away, 21/22 mile round trip, and I could do it on a normal bike, but I have my Pro Connect because I can still put in as much effort as a normal bike, but get there faster. Is that not the case for you?

John

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I tend to train with a mate who's quite fit and averages 14mph for our training loop of 22 miles. I could leave him behind but that would sort of defeat the social side. As a big bloke one of the main reasons I went for the ebike was to get me moving again after years of vegetating. although i'm still a big bloke (but shrinking) I do now feel that as I won't have the commute to worry about, my pleasure riding should be done on a non electric.

I have noticed there is a huge difference between what I thought was a hard 20 miles on the agattu and what I am now doing on the Felt. Its the hills that kill you :D

Last edited:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Well after much consideration i'm only going to have to worry about the performance of my legs as i'll no longer have an e-bike. My new job starts on the 15th and ive been riding a felt QX75 for the last two weeks in an effort to get some real fitness work in. im up to 20 miles now although i'm no where near as fast round as i am on the agattu.

with new work being 50 miles return, i cant see the point in retaining the agattu. my wife has stopped using hers too!

A woman at my old work has first refusal but if she decides not to buy then both my wifes and my bike will be offered for saleon here prior to ebay if all else fails
What size is the Wife's bike Paul?

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Hi,

Started this post a while ago and then went on holiday :)

The digital light controller is on its way from Canada and should be here in a few days. This is what I am going to use:

Light Brain - 2002 Series Advanced Controllers

I will use Osram IRC high efficiency halogen MR16 bulds (20w 10 degree). The housings will probably be plumbing fittings in the first instance.

Power will be 2 x 7.2v RC car battery packs in series and packed into a water bottle. I already have batteries and a good dual battery pack peak charger.

The controller will allow me to overvolt the bulbs if I want. I think this setup will be very good and cheap and should give better lumens per watt that an LED setup when overvolted.

Hope to build the lights next week. All a bit irrelevent in a way as I can't get the bike I want :mad:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
As someone who is too lazy too make his own lights and will probably buy a catseye ~ the question is which one? Any advice ?

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
P7 Lenser Torches

Lights arrived today. Absolutely awesome! Very, very bright. These are a bargain and will be terrific on unlit country roads at night. Thanks for the link to these Paul.
:D :D :D
just opened mine and wow. Cant wait unil its properly dark to go out and give them a try. I really lke the way you can adjust the beam width. I wil use the nearside on wide and have the offside one on tight focus so as not to blind motorists. You know when you have a good light when the guy wrote not to shine it in your eyes on the receipt :)
I've decided I need to get new lights - it was dark when I left for work this morning, and a lot of my journey is on unlit roads... Have you tried the P7 Lenser torches out on unlit roads at night yet? How were they?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Cateye EL610 Signle shot Plus, or the Cateye R2/R3 lights?

Cheers,

Howard

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
With the dark days of winter rapidly approaching, I too have been experimenting with a home made light consisting of a 12v 20W MR16 halogen bulb, some aluminium tube and other bits and pieces from my shed. It isn't bad considering total outlay so far is under a fiver and it looks quite presentable too, which is a bonus.

The light output is good and it is certainly far better than the standard "position lights" fitted to my Pro Connect. However, whilst the MK1 setup described above is adequate for my lighting needs, I want more light! But being mean and tight fisted, I don't want to pay a fortune for the pleasure.

I am looking to use a couple of the MR16 Cree 5W LED lights as advertised on Ebay. They claim the same output with the much reduced consumption. The problem is, the specification states 12v AC input. Obviously I will be powering them with 12v DC from a battery. Does anyone know if this is a problem? I would have thought that as long as the polarity is correct they should light up. Or... just had a thought:- Do they have some form of rectification built in to take account of the AC from the transformers that usually power MR16s in domestic applications?

Any experience of using these bulbs would be welcome.

Kind Regards

Tom