DIY Mechanical Dongle

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
And well done for finding 2 pulley wheels the exact ratio to convert km to miles
I turned the pulleys from some nylon off cuts.
now I’m thinking I’ll modify the design by scraping the existing sensor pulley and making two quickly interchangeable pulleys, one the same size as the wheel pulley to give a true speed display and cutoff and a second pulley, larger to deceive the controller as previously mentioned (for use on private land only :p)
I actually don’t often ride at full speed even in standard settings, preferring to save battery assistance for longer rides, hills, headwind and rough bridal ways. Most of my rides are solo and I see very few cars and even fewer pedestrians so I’m not putting the public at risk at any speed.

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
If I had the tooling available I make a new brake disk with a tooth gear outer edge. I would then move create and fit a similar pulley to yours but again with a tooth gear outer edge thus doing away with the need for a belt.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
If I had the tooling available I make a new brake disk with a tooth gear outer edge. I would then move create and fit a similar pulley to yours but again with a tooth gear outer edge thus doing away with the need for a belt.
Wow that’s a big project in more sense than one, just to loose the belt :eek:
There’s no load on either pulley and an elastic band would do the job.
The amount of work in making a toothed brake disc (effectively a circular saw blade) at 160mm, the corresponding gear would need to be 257.6mm dia (about the size of a dinner plate)
We’d be calling you Rufus Roughcut and his Buzzwagon :D

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: ebiker99 and Nev

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
Wow that’s a big project in more sense than one, just to loose the belt :eek:
There’s no load on either pulley and an elastic band would do the job.
The amount of work in making a toothed brake disc (effectively a circular saw blade) at 160mm, the corresponding gear would need to be 257.6mm dia (about the size of a dinner plate)
We’d be calling you Rufus Roughcut and his Buzzwagon :D
Good point, I didn’t say I had thought it through

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
It's a good job you didn't have the tooling available to make a new brake disk with a tooth gear outer edge then.
It’s a good job your not taking this a bit too seriously . Lighten up, this is supposed to be fun.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Whether you like the law or not isn't relevant, it's very clear what the law is.
We all know what the law is as far as it's written. You didn't answer the question on whether a Bosch or Yamaha powered ebike would be illegal when you can change the speed limit by applying a simple procedure. I'm challenging your interpretation of the law because in a previous post, you implied that they would be illegal. My interpretation is that they are not illegal as long as you weren't riding the bike with it set illegally. I think it's you that's confusing and worrying people.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can not change the software on a bosch bike the only way round this is to fit a dongle.

if a bike has any way to change the speed limit in software it is not road legal if you use it or not it is classed as having a off road switch.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
you can not change the software on a bosch bike the only way round this is to fit a dongle.

if a bike has any way to change the speed limit in software it is not road legal if you use it or not it is classed as having a off road switch.
You can change the speed with a simple push of a button without a dongle!

• Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is no way to change the software on a bosch bike not even a dealer can remove the speed limit motors are locked in at the factory.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i could programme the motor like bafang hd ect thats all id want. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We all know what the law is as far as it's written. You didn't answer the question on whether a Bosch or Yamaha powered ebike would be illegal when you can change the speed limit by applying a simple procedure. I'm challenging your interpretation of the law because in a previous post, you implied that they would be illegal. My interpretation is that they are not illegal as long as you weren't riding the bike with it set illegally. I think it's you that's confusing and worrying people.
I did answer the question and haven't just implied illegality. I clearly stated the illegality was definite. If the rider can change the speed limit by integral controls without using tools, the pedelec is technically illegal in Great Britain since the change is under rider control. In contravention of the law the rider is capable of matching or exceeding the assist limit when riding the bike, both being illegal.

You are wrong on your interpretation as the DfT has made absolutely clear.

But as I posted, why argue the point when the increased speed is illegal under any circumstances? That alone makes the existence of that software change useless as it cannot be used legally. Therefore it is you causing uncertainty for no good reason whatsoever.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

It’s a good job your not taking this a bit too seriously . Lighten up, this is supposed to be fun.
I was having a laugh, don't get so uptight. You'll need to look elsewhere if you're looking for an argument, sorry.