Do ebikes take the fun out of cycling ?

Geome

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
UK
I have an ebike a Bafang mid drive converted bike. At first I was never off the bike but just recently I have had a tendency to ride my pedal powered bikes finding them to be more relaxing while also getting a bit more exercise. So do ebikes take the fun out of cycling what do you think ?

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't cycle for fun I cycle for transport...

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
I have an ebike a Bafang mid drive converted bike. At first I was never off the bike but just recently I have had a tendency to ride my pedal powered bikes finding them to be more relaxing while also getting a bit more exercise. So do ebikes take the fun out of cycling what do you think ?
ultimately yes, there is no substitute for only moving by ones own energy, which can become a spiritual things, which ebikes never can for me. but, an ebike can be a vital step back to being fit enough to effectively use an ordinary bike, if one has a regular 11 mile commute for example, as I do now on a litespeed, but had to start doing on an ebike to get fit enough

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It sounds like you have the wrong motor, try a Bosch/Yamaha or Shimano Steps bike.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
For a more serous answer..
I had both and found the lightweight bike exhilarating to say the least, but I had to plan my routes to avoid long climbs as they just take the edge off.
Now I have the best of both in my Giant Road E+1 and the carbon bike is long gone and not missed.
Perhaps if I were younger I may feel different, but I am not and I dont
Another point..
I have found that if you leave one of your bikes alone for a few weeks and then get back on it its almost like the first ride.. Almost!!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If I want to have fun I get in a boat and row for a few hours or I walk for 30 or 40 km. I don't associate cycling with fun and never have, a bike has always been a tool to get someplace, even as a boy.

I don't say that I don't enjoy riding from point A to point B, it is much more fun than the bus or the train and way more fun than a car in our traffic. But with the hills we have a non e-bike is more like a torture device. I am not like @EddiePJ! :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
give it ten years and the non electric bikes will be a thing of the past as the rate of development on them atm and huge sales still rising and now also in the us as well.

just look at the 26inc wheel and the jump to 27.5 for a example. and sram will no longer make a front mech as with 11/12 spd you only need one front chain ring.

they will just get more powerful and get batts that last a lot longer and smaller in size mostly down to tesla and Panasonic.

Geome

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
UK
give it ten years and the non electric bikes will be a thing of the past as the rate of development on them atm and huge sales still rising and now also in the us as well.

just look at the 26inc wheel and the jump to 27.5 for a example. and sram will no longer make a front mech as with 11/12 spd you only need one front chain ring.

they will just get more powerful and get batts that last a lot longer and smaller in size mostly down to tesla and Panasonic.
So what you are saying is that we will all be riding motor cycles.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all electric bikes have motors so they are motorbikes ;)
No chance of that happening.
the problem atm is the price of them and the batts same with tesla cars there just stupid money and most normal ppl cant afford them every one that asks me about my bike and has a go on it says they would buy one but when i tell them the rrp for it of £5500 they run a mile lol.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Someone told me that if you cant do it without the motor you shouldnt do it at all.. Go sit and watch daytime tv with the rest of the potatoes..
Since June not quite 800 miles leisure cycling.

The people you are talking about tell them to fu@k off as they know **.

Easy to say, harder to do.

When I bought my ebike in June my wife thought it would be a 5 minute wonder and waste of money, now almost 800 miles later she is really interested in getting one herself jealous that I am out and about on an ebike.

I have two lovely friends both middle age men, one has a Cervelo Carbon racing bike in his garage used twice and one a Giant FS MTB with flat tyres.

I have a Haibike with almost 800 miles on it since June ?????

Not sure what that says to your smart ass smug friends.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
A very good question.

For my use they don't take the fun out and have opened up many opportunities to me that I wouldn't have otherwise be able to do.

That isn't to say that I think that they are in any way better, as they aren't.
They are very convenient though.

I get far more satisfaction out of tackling a climb on a pedal bike than I ever do an EAPC. The sense of achievement just isn't the same, and contrary to what SW believes, the pedal cycle will never be a thing of the past. The simple reason being, that some/many of us enjoy the challenge, and get more pleasure out of knowing that 100% of effort has come from the body. But then many of us are equally content with using an EAPC for their intended use within the letter of the law.
The exception in volume of pedal bike sales could well be for commuting, and city use aside, an ebike makes a lot of sense, so sales could escalate in that direction, whilst pedal bike sales fall. But generally commuting could hardly be considered fun use. Having said that, I love my off road commute to work, and look forward to it, so there will always be exceptions.

Sadly though my constant battle to fight muscle wastage in my legs, and the strain that it puts on my knees is a depressingly constant reminder that I cannot physical do, or achieve what I want without generally using a level assist. Even sitting here writing this, the pain certainly isn't great. It bugs the crap out of me, as my fitness is very good.
This year hasn't been a good one in respect of my time in the saddle, and I am at least 1.5k miles down on where I was last year. I continue to ride almost every other night off road, and commute two days a week off road, but the pleasure riding distance has gone from 20-25 miles in an evening, down to a very poor average of about 12 miles per evening. This frustration is compounded by the fact that I love pushing for elevation gain, and if I could, I'd quite happily sit spinning my way up a climb all day long.

So cutting this short, as I am out of time, for me it isn't the ebike that has potentially taken the fun out of riding, it is health and frustration of not achieving goals..

To be fair though, I still love every second of being out riding, be it assisted or non assisted, and only yesterday whilst riding in the rain, covered in mud and freezing cold, I was thinking that I wouldn't swap for anything. I just love being in the saddle, and nothing compares to the fix that it gives, and all too often I will go to bed after a ride, and just want to get back out of bed because I can't sleep, and want to do it all again. :)

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Someone told me that if you cant do it without the motor you shouldnt do it at all.. Go sit and watch daytime tv with the rest of the potatoes..
Since June not quite 800 miles leisure cycling.

The people you are talking about tell them to fu@k off as they know **.

Easy to say, harder to do.

When I bought my ebike in June my wife thought it would be a 5 minute wonder and waste of money, now almost 800 miles later she is really interested in getting one herself jealous that I am out and about on an ebike.

I have two lovely friends both middle age men, one has a Cervelo Carbon racing bike in his garage used twice and one a Giant FS MTB with flat tyres.

I have a Haibike with almost 800 miles on it since June ?????

Not sure what that says to your smart ass smug friends.
Actually, not a friend, just someone I met on the road... One of the anti cheating police I think..
Also said was if it dont hurt your not doing it hard enough...
Couldn't say much more as I left him behind puffing and panting.
I would say its an extreme version of a common view held by a lot of cyclists that I meet.
If you want to p*ss of the roadies, just buy a replica yellow jersey and wear it on your ebike.
They really do not like that sort of thing..You have to earn it to wear it.. which says it all!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i cant beat road bikes on the flat fkn impossible if that is how fast they can go.

DSC_0449.JPG

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
No, for me electric bikes put the fun into cycling.

I live on the Welsh border in an area with up to 20% gradients and to get anywhere is hard work. I'm not fit and I don't have the strength or stamina to pedal up the hills without the help of my electric bike's motor which makes the impossible possible. For 26 years, an earlier bike had remained unused in the garage, covered with cobwebs and little prospect of seeing the local countryside. Then I bought my first electric bike just over a year ago and found myself going for 12 mile rides gradually increasing to 40-50 miles on day rides touring castles via local single-track and quiet lanes. It would have been impossible on a non-electric bike.

The non-electric bike, on which I managed to complete the London-Brighton marathon in 1986, was donated to a charity shop in the summer and I haven't looked back. Electric is the way forward for me. I love it, it takes me to places I would never otherwise visit and it is fun getting there.